CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

So where's all the people who claimed "Jennifer Lawrence is a box office draw" even after Joy? Do they still think she is now?

of course she's a draw. But the X-Men 4 comic books are bigger than Jennifer Lawrence. You're not going to get 30 to 40 year old women who are Jennifer Lawrence fans will rush out and seeing X-Men movie just because she's in it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

people compare Civil War to the HP films. It is actually holding worse than most HP films. It is also the worst Memorial Day fall of any May superhero movie

It's not about how's holding compared to that series; it's about a long-time serialized series hitting a (larger) ceiling. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

It's not about how's holding compared to that series; it's about a long-time serialized series hitting a (larger) ceiling. 

agree, but it even had a worse hold than ASM 2 over Memorial Day despite ASM 2 going up against the larger DOFP. Civil War defines a completely frontloaded movie. 

Just now, John Marston said:

agree, but it even had a worse hold than ASM 2 over Memorial Day despite ASM 2 going up against the larger DOFP. Civil War defines a completely frontloaded movie. 

No one is denying that it's frontloaded. 

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

people compare Civil War to the HP films. It is actually holding worse than most HP films. It is also the worst Memorial Day fall of any May superhero movie

HP had 8 movies and none of them came close to the Avenger movies DOM or WW.

MCU has characters who used to be B-listers like Iron Man and Cap making more money than the vast majority of Harry Potter movies.

Looking ahead you have Fantastic Beasts for HP compared to countless titles for MCU.

HP is the most consistent franchise but that's about it. 

6 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

There's DiCaprio, and then there's everybody else.

Denzel is a decent draw domestically but is a total nothing overseas

Will Smith looks to still be a draw overseas. After Earth made 185m overseas. It would have flopped like movies like Cowboys and Aliens or Ender's Game without him.

I didn't include total domestic estimates for the two new releases in my daily projections because I wanted to wait until after the four-day weekend was over, but my "unofficial" estimates right now are $216M for X-Men and 79.5M for Alice.

Edited by johnboy3434

I don't know if people are still talking about piracy, but there's already a cam ( russian one ) for Warcraft online...:(

I'm not seeing, though. My money will go to the producers who gave their best to come with the movie. I'll be watching it soon.

9 minutes ago, Baumer said:

of course she's a draw. But the X-Men 4 comic books are bigger than Jennifer Lawrence. You're not going to get 30 to 40 year old women who are Jennifer Lawrence fans will rush out and seeing X-Men movie just because she's in it.

thank god someone gets it.  

Just now, grey ghost said:

HP had 8 movies and none of them came close to the Avenger movies DOM or WW.

MCU has characters who used to be B-listers like Iron Man and Cap making more money than the vast majority of Harry Potter movies.

Looking ahead you have Fantastic Beasts for HP compared to countless titles for MCU.

HP is the most consistent franchise but that's about it. 

Didn't you keep saying it wouldn't get a worse multiplier than Winter Soldier because of its RT score?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I think Civil War is having a solid performance right now.

It's doing fine. People's expectations were nutso, as was the tracking

But it is certainly coming in below those expectations and the tracking. Something to remember the next time a big Marvel sequel comes around (tho noone will)

• Like 2