CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

You know what was somewhat of a missed sequel opportunity? One to the Karate Kid remake. The movie had an over 3 multiplier despite Toy Story 3 being in its second weekend, public perception of Jaden Smith was promising, and it even ended with the door open ajar for a "next level" adventure. Should've made that instead of wasting everyone's time on After Earth.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Can't adequately describe how much I'm looking forward to the next two months without a CBM.

Perhaps you missed the news, but there's another CBM coming out next week: TMNT6 (or whatever the hell number they're up to).

And of course we comic book fans still have multiple series airing on tv each and every week right now, even though Shield and Flash and all the rest are on summer hiatus. We still have Outcast, Preacher, and Wynonna Earp every single week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Can't adequately describe how much I'm looking forward to the next two months without a CBM

Ninja Turtles is coming in only couple of days. You might have to wait longer.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

The new Star Trek trailer didn't exactly do well either in trailer views or on social chatter. Bourne will most likely get a new trailer with Warcraft, Suicide Squad will get a new trailer with ID4-2. Ghostbusters and Star Trek are most likely done in terms of trailers.

Studios behind the July movies are actually being really smart with their marketing, they are keeping the major marketing push for closer to release instead of starting early.

The July movies will all bomb except Pets and Bourne.

Just now, AJG said:

Ninja Turtles is coming in only couple of days. You might have to wait longer.

Nobody counts that as a CBM lol. The next real one is SS.

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Not really sure how SUICIDE SQUAD making 550-600M WW is a shot in the arm for the DCEU going forward???

You also couldn't see how Civil War couldn't make $225 million opening weekend. There's a lot that you can't see.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Not Star Trek Beyond or Jason Bourne?

I think the new Trek trailer looks great (why are they Apocalypsing Idris tho?) but its appeal seems more niche than ever to me. 70/175 feels like the best case scenario. 

Bourne could but I'm not a fan of the release date (it will be slaughtered in weekend 2 if it is bad) and I worry about how much time has passed since the last Damon movie. But I wouldn't count it out purely on how good Uni's campaign for it will be and how good the movie *could* be. Greengrass is a great director and the third Bourne was extremely leggy. But my instinct right now is to say it'll do MI5 numbers.

Just now, Gopher said:

Bourne could but I'm not a fan of the release date (it will be slaughtered in weekend 2 if it is bad) and I worry about how much time has passed since the last Damon movie. But I wouldn't count it out purely on how good Uni's campaign for it will be and how good the movie *could* be. Greengrass is a great director and the third Bourne was extremely leggy. But my instinct right now is to say it'll do MI5 numbers.

Yup, I am thinking the same. MI5 numbers with maybe a slightly bigger OW (around 60M).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ghostbusters is gonna be big. And I will revel in the MRAs losing their minds over it.

Ghostbusters is gonna bomb lol. The marketing campaign has been terrible so far, nobody is gonna watch that.

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

I worry about how much time has passed since the last Damon movie.

I agree about the release date. In this rare case, I'm not that worried about the gap. I think there's gonna be some pent-up goodwill and nostalgia to see him back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

No one's counting that as a CBM.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Nobody counts that as a CBM lol. The next real one is SS.

I don't care what you count on your personal list.

But the simple fact is that it's a CBM.

It started out as a comic book and now it's a movie. Case closed.

(Ah, Case Closed. I still need to watch the most recent Detective Conan movie.)

• Like 2