CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Really? Those aliens attacking New York? Shit looks like a shot for shot remake.

It is not a CBM movie. Nobody will create the same discussions it happen when a Marvel or DC movie open lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Rman823 said:

It originated as a comic book. Just because it's not superhero related change that.

9 out of 10 people wouldn't refer to it as a CBM. We all know it from the cartoon. You can be as technical as you wanna be about it. 

Just now, AJG said:

Really? Those aliens attacking New York? Shit looks like a shot for shot remake.

It definitely looks like shit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Nah. All Summers have hits. This one is epic flop after epic flop. The potential is incredible. Next week we get a TMNT sequel. How hard will that one fall?

I don't think any movies will actually flop this summer (apart from maybe Tarzan and BFG). Nothing else has a huge budget that will lead to it being a clear flop. Even Apocalypse has a reported budget of 178M and Alice 2 is 170M, both will make their money. Ultron made a 380M profit for Disney/Marvel apparently, so with a similar budget Civil War will see a 150-200M profit as well. Money Monster, Neighbors 2 and Angry Birds will make money as well. Joel Silver may lose money on The Nice Guys but I don't think WB as distributors will hurt too much there either, and The Nice Guys feels like a movie which will end up making money in the long run as well.

TMNT2, Me Before You, Conjuring 2, NYSM2 are all pretty much safe bets. Warcraft will be bailed out by OS territories. It is pretty much Tarzan and BFG which are the big risks of summer and Ghostbusters is the big wildcard (the first 2 movies were before OS expansion, so this movie stands on its own 2 feet in OS territories and does not exactly have OS friendly stars or even recognizable actors apart from McCarthy)

• Like 3

Just now, CJohn said:

It is not a CBM movie. Nobody will create the same discussions it happen when a Marvel or DC movie open lol.

That's my ultimate point. When I refer to CBM's, I mean idiotic superhero threads. 

• Like 1

Just now, RichWS said:

That's my ultimate point. When I refer to CBM's, I mean idiotic superhero threads. 

Apparently some people don't understand that lol. 

• Like 1

Even though the numbers for Alice are terrible, if it still manages 450-500 million WW (seems doable) won't this still turn some kind of a profit for Disney?  I can't imagine marketing and back end deals getting this to where it needed to net 500 to see the green.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I don't think any movies will actually flop this summer (apart from maybe Tarzan and BFG). Nothing else has a huge budget that will lead to it being a clear flop. Even Apocalypse has a reported budget of 178M and Alice 2 is 170M, both will make their money. Ultron made a 380M profit for Disney/Marvel apparently, so with a similar budget Civil War will see a 150-200M profit as well. Money Monster, Neighbors 2 and Angry Birds will make money as well. Joel Silver may lose money on The Nice Guys but I don't think WB as distributors will hurt too much there either, and The Nice Guys feels like a movie which will end up making money in the long run as well.

TMNT2, Me Before You, Conjuring 2, NYSM2 are all pretty much safe bets. Warcraft will be bailed out by OS territories. It is pretty much Tarzan and BFG which are the big risks of summer and Ghostbusters is the big wildcard (the first 2 movies were before OS expansion, so this movie stands on its own 2 feet in OS territories and does not exactly have OS friendly stars or even recognizable actors apart from McCarthy)

Not sure about Alice getting the 400M WW it needs to not be considered a bomb. 

Just now, CJohn said:

Right? I feel like I'm talking to Comic Book Guy: "Well, ACTUALLY Turtles started out as a comic book HENCE it is officially a CBM regardless of your obvious meaning."

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

I understand what he meant but I'm just saying anything that originated from a comic is a CBM even if most people remember the cartoons or movies more. 

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Right? I feel like I'm talking to Comic Book Guy: "Well, ACTUALLY Turtles started out as a comic book HENCE it is officially a CBM regardless of your obvious meaning."

By that same token, though, you can't sit there and say it's NOT a comic book movie, even if you yourself don't consider it one. After all, their meaning is just as obvious as yours.

Edited by johnboy3434

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

When Scott Pilgrim, Kick-Ass, RED, and The Losers came out did anyone argue on these boards over what is a "true" CBM?

I think we need to better distinguish between a CBM and a SuperHero movie.