CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

18 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

On the contrary, Cinemascore is a great measure of what it's trying to gauge. The problem is that people use that measure to make unrelated conclusions. Cinemascore measures the reaction of audiences after they have seen a given movie. People chose of their own free will to go to these films, and then evaluated them. Therefore, it is a measure of the satisfaction the movie gives to those who wanted to go see it in the first place. To clarify, an "A-" Cinemascore translates as such: "If Alice in Wonderland looks like a movie you would be interested in seeing, then you will like it." A "B" Cinemascore would translate like "If Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice looks like a movie you would be interested in seeing, then you will be mildly disappointed".

If you have no desire to go see a given movie, then the Cinemascore is absolutely meaningless. Also, Cinemascores are not comparable to one another unless the audiences for both movies are exactly the same. It also says nothing about the size of said audience. God's Not Dead 2 getting an "A" doesn't mean it's better than most other movies. It means that if it looks like your kind of movie, then you will love it. "You", in this case, is not as wide an audience as a lot of other films.

Yeah, cinemascores can sometimes be based on particular audiences reaction, like in the case of Christian movie, which will no doubt give a movie like God's Not Dead 1 or 2, or Miracles From Heaven an A, because it's reinforces their faith beliefs.

The problem is, is that people too much emphasis on cinemascores, Deadline being especially annoying in that regard. They're based off a very limited number of people, and unless a movie gets an F or A+ cinemascores, there's no real reason to roll your eyes at them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Do weekend estimates tend to come out around noon or 3 PM on Sunday?

Estimates are usually out by about 9am pacific on sundays.  This weekend we'll get 3 and 4 day estimates on Sunday, and then monday revised estimates will show up.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Not particularly, in my opinion. I like seeing new things come to the forefront.

"New" is somewhat relative here, considering it's a spin-off of an existing franchise, which is itself already based on a pre-existing property. So yeah, "new".

10 minutes ago, PanaMovie said:

I guess movies are dying today in OS markets

Everyone is seeing the UCL Final (go Atletico!!)

Real has broken our hearts.

I wanted Atletico to win so badly but alas it was not to be.:sadben:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Deadpool is going to annihilate X-Men in gross. That is kind of sad. 

There is a chance Apocalypse's total ends below Deadpool 3 days OW lol.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Real has broken our hearts.

I wanted Atletico to win so badly but alas it was not to be.:sadben:

Well not exactly 

I'm Barca but I would never go for Real Madrid (can't stand Ronaldo)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Yeah I'm sure Disney is real upset after the triumvirate of zootopia, jungle book, and CW. Episode 7 making bank, and Rogue One being a potentially 1.5 billion grosser.

I'm raising my eyebrow very high on that prediction.

• Like 1

In reality, these X-men numbers would be fine had this been the sequel to first class. Disappointing numbers no doubt, but hey even DOFP sold less tickets than Orgins OW. There was never really any way this would break out. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood