CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

Just now, DAJK said:

I am seriously deeply saddened by this X Men number. Seriously, i actually genuinely feel upset. Is that bad?

Maybe a little. Although I'm pretty much openly invested in the box office performance of the movie in my avatar, so I can't judge.

I didn't know you were an X-Men fan, btw.

150m is gone for APOC I think.

DOFP did 2.11x off the 4-day 110.6m.

77m and 1.95x gives 150.1m for APOC.

But 1.95x might itself be optimistic looking at the preview:ow ratio (8.2/77 for APOC vs 8.1/110.6 for DOFP).

1.90x and 77m gives 146.3m.

There is a shot at 150m but studio might need to push it if they care.

Edit:

Apart from sequelistis once you focus on the WOM too, that it's very different for DOFP and APOC, 140-145m becomes more realistic.

Edited by a2knet

On 5/23/2016 at 9:43 AM, No Prisoners said:

The poorly reviewed, bad WoM, fatigued PoS sequel to a 10 year reboot, ASM2 that was so bad they cancelled #3, held - 52.7% against Neighbors 25m second weekend and Godzillas OW of 93m while losing most of it premium screens in its 3rd weekend.

CA3 -54.4% :sadben:

You guys crack me up with your denial.

Next week spidey held -53.4 for 3 day memorial against x-men 90m, and Godzillas 30m, about what alice and x-men will do this weekend combined. 

Not piracy?

O/U 53.4 % $10 donation to your $10. And I'll throw in a $20 fandango card. I of course say over 53.4% drop. First two posters...

AoU and Im3 held 44 and 46% on MDW

AoU had very little competition. IM3

IM3 had FF6 OW and STrek 2nd weekend.

So piracy was just invented this year?  Holy shit!!!!

And I'll take your bet.  You're saying that for the three day Memorial weekend, CW is going to drop more than 53.4%?  You can keep your Fandango card, whatever that is.  Let's just keep it at a $10 donation, unless you are feeling good about making it $20.00 since no one else is taking your bet

On 5/23/2016 at 6:17 PM, No Prisoners said:

$30 it is. I win WHEN CA3 drops more than 53.4% for the 3 day memorial weekend.

Thought you had the bet sewn up? Was a little worried myself but would not concede til more numbers came in.

On 5/23/2016 at 6:33 PM, fmpro said:

You're going to loose NP :P

You spoke too soon.:locked:

Fourth place belongs to Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War which made $5.4M on Saturday, +32% over Friday for a fourth frame of $14.1M, -57%, 4-day of $18M and a running cume by the end of Monday of $375.5M.

CA3 can't have a better than 50% hold with a holiday boost and openers under performing. It's almost as bad as BvS.

I called under 400m as a possibility on its second weekend. 

Most thought this movie was over 450 after its first Monday. Most thought over 425m after the second weekend and fatigue was the factor, and that could be partly to blame. But this is falling out of bed like BvS. It can only be one thing, aye matey! #hahahahaha

Under 400m happening. Fudge or no fudge.:locked:

Have a nice day!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Might even be lower.

Could be!  That Depp news might sink it like a rock.  I did check out the Audience Score for Tomorrowland over at RT and it is currently at a flat 50.  Alice 2, meanwhile, is sitting at 61.  That still could drop as the Depp news purcolates through social media.  Never mind the general reaction to the movie.

Still, I was trying to think of an "optimistic"/decent comp for Alice 2, and Tomorrowland pretty much fit the bill, from what I can see.  Hugely divisive film launched on Memorial Day Weekend last year.

That 76m might be "optimistic" is.... YIKES! :o 

Edited by Porthos

3 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

So piracy was just invented this year?  Holy shit!!!!

And I'll take your bet.  You're saying that for the three day Memorial weekend, CW is going to drop more than 53.4%?  You can keep your Fandango card, whatever that is.  Let's just keep it at a $10 donation, unless you are feeling good about making it $20.00 since no one else is taking your bet

Thought you had the bet sewn up? Was a little worried myself but would not concede til more numbers came in.

You spoke too soon.:locked:

Fourth place belongs to Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War which made $5.4M on Saturday, +32% over Friday for a fourth frame of $14.1M, -57%, 4-day of $18M and a running cume by the end of Monday of $375.5M.

CA3 can't have a better than 50% hold with a holiday boost and openers under performing. It's almost as bad as BvS.

I called under 400m as a possibility on its second weekend. 

Most thought this movie was over 450 after its first Monday. Most thought over 425m after the second weekend and fatigue was the factor, and that could be partly to blame. But this is falling out of bed like BvS. It can only be one thing, aye matey! #hahahahaha

Under 400m happening. Fudge or no fudge.:locked:

Have a nice day!

awful hold, zero spin

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Maybe a little. Although I'm pretty much openly invested in the box office performance of the movie in my avatar, so I can't judge.

I didn't know you were an X-Men fan, btw.

Oh yeah, big fan (of the moves, excluding the 2013 Wolverine).