CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

4 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Sorry, but CW Dom is not doing "phenomenally well"

Who would've thought this movie will struggle to break 400M Dom??

With all its hype / amazing reviews / cinmescore CW till now made only 45M more than BvS 
Yes, WW it passed in by 200M, but I doubt it will reach 1.2B while almost everyone were sure it will at least peak at 1.4B.

Perspective, dude. Perspective.

Every single movie in the Captain America trilogy has outgrossed its predecessor in terms of OW, domestic total, and global take. Not even Iron Man, the Avengers' purported star, can say that!

You are basing your assessment on an arbitrary comparison between CW and BvS? They have nothing to do with each other.

Let's do a ridiculous (and arbitrary) comparison to prove some ridiculous point: Deadpool grossed 763 million dollars globally while BvS grossed 871 million worldwide!!  OMG...Deadpool was a flop wordlwide!!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

It's really too bad about that CW leak that happened so early into its domestic run.  It makes analyzing the reason for the bad legs impossible.  (Are these going to be the worst MCU legs ever?)

MCU films have the exact demographic that having a perfect copy of the film online is likely to impact, but the film also has a third act that is utterly unlike any MCU film and maybe any superhero film ever.  Has there ever been one that doesn't feature a bad guy getting defeated in the final act?  I can't think of one.

course.

43 minutes ago, MarvelandDC said:

Every movie has it but they are not always good quality leaks like cap 3.

No one is tired but maybe people like you.

Where were you guys two weeks ago?

Help a brotha out

• Like 2

6 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Man what a terrible MD weekend. 

Gonna be interesting to see how Fox reacts to this OW. Having Deadpool will help but they can't just plug him into EVERYTHING and expect the fans to come roaring back each time. 

Minot surprised by Alice's box office. 

I'm a little baffled by CWs run. I thought it would hold a little better than that, to be honest. It's better than AOU and should have, at the least, matched that movies DOM gross. 

Disney Marvel plugs Iron Man into everything and everyone comes roaring back. If they use his character the way he was used in his own film, then they can still make him the center of their cinematic universe. However, if they want to meddle in things and get too involved with his character like they did in Wolverine Origins then lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ohana said:

CA, Iron Man, Spiderkid, 80% of the Avengers, Black Panther, 90% RT - all in one movie, 45M above BvS.
That's my perspective.

if a movie makes 400 mill and 1.2 bill give or take and you're complaining then you probably need to reduce your expectations. The MCU has a core base right now and all these big team up movies are probably going to range between 1-1.3 bill going forward. Its the Harry Potter effect.

• Like 5

So many surprises this year:

Deadpool surprises everyone with a huge performance for a R rated movie, without 3D and without a China release. 

BVS surprises everyone with huge drops after a big opening weekend. It also managed to have bigger drops than Fantastic Four and and a smaller multiplier than this maligned movie. 

Civil War surprises everyone with its front-loading performance and big drops overseas. It's also performing worse than Iron Man 3. 400 million domestic might be in jeopardy.

X-Men Apocalypse surprises everyone for being the lowest grossing movie, at least regarding domestic grosses. It's holding well against Alice overseas too, so i guess that's another surprise.

Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange will be the next targets.  I'm not feeling this new Joker version.  I'm more excited to see Doctor Strange, but the director is the same guy who did Hellraiser Inferno. So, I'm being realistic to not expect a huge performance from it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

When people say that a movie that did 325M tanked, we know those persons have no idea what they are talking about.

When it opens to 166m with great anticipation and marketing, and fails to make 2x it's OW, that is called tanking.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I ain't accepting that bet then :lol: It is locked to do less than Ant-Man :lol: 

Well, for you to believe in TMNT 2 "saving us", I was just testing out where you'd be going w/that :P

I wonder if this is the Summer that finally wakes up studios to the sequelitis virus. Miss the days of, you know, original movies filling out the schedule, even Summer. Part of the reason why I'm rooting for movies like BFG, Pets and, later this year, Passengers to succeed (and yes, I'm aware that BFG is based on a book and Pets is a Toy Story rip-off. I'm just saying...).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, No Prisoners said:

When it opens to 166m with great anticipation and marketing, and fails to make 2x it's OW, that is called tanking.

No, that is called toxic WOM. 

Tanking is when a movie bombs/flops. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Alice Through the Looking Glass is looking to bleed 3/4 the gross from the first one. Oof.

It will fail to do in total what the first one did during the first 2 days. 

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Deadpool is a gimmick that will get old fast. Fox would be wise not to bet all their eggs on him.

Deadpool has been one of Marvel's best selling characters for sometime now. So regardless comic book fans will go watch his films in droves especially since they have waited so long to get him on the screen. There is no "gimmick." The film that they put out there is who Deadpool is...and like I said he is a character who has been selling extremely well. He is a raunchier more violent version of Spiderman and Spiderman has been around for quite sometime in movies. Spiderman is loved by the audiences. And so is Deadpool...it's not like Deadpool had a huge OW and then crappy legs. When done correctly people enjoy films like Deadpool. Add to the fact that Fox and Sony can talk to one another and put both Deadpool and Spiderman in the same film. Fox would be wise to bet their eggs on him, because he's their only character at the moment that would make sense to use in other cinematic universes if things get ugly for them AND he also has their most successful film based on a comic book film. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

Just now, DAR said:

I think reasonable expectations for SS and DS will be between 160-175 million.

I think Suicide Squad has a real opportunity to blow the doors open if its as entertaining as the trailers make it look. It has recognizable stars, iconic characters and the marketing has been on point. The only thing that could kill it at this point would be bad reviews

• Like 1

Just now, Cochofles said:

Perspective, dude. Perspective.

Every single movie in the Captain America trilogy has outgrossed its predecessor in terms of OW, domestic total, and global take. Not even Iron Man, the Avengers' purported star, can say that!

You are basing your assessment on an arbitrary comparison between CW and BvS? They have nothing to do with each other.

Let's do a ridiculous (and arbitrary) comparison to prove some ridiculous point: Deadpool grossed 763 million dollars globally while BvS grossed 871 million worldwide!!  OMG...Deadpool was a flop wordlwide!!!

The amount of denial...
It's not a CA-3 movie no matter how many times you'll repeat it, CA alone wouldn't break 1B WW ever
The hype was about all the characters, and mainly Spiderkid and Black Panther introduction.
Deadpool was a huge success, BvS deff underpeformed.
No majot SH movie flopped this year (till now), but 2016 will be remembered as a year that had high expectations which met with no breath-taking BO numbers in the botton line 
(exp. Deadpool which was something outstanding)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So many surprises this year:

Deadpool surprises everyone with a huge performance for a R rated movie, without 3D and without a China release. 

BVS surprises everyone with huge drops after a big opening weekend. It also managed to have bigger drops than Fantastic Four and and a smaller multiplier than this maligned movie. 

Civil War surprises everyone with its front-loading performance and big drops overseas. It's also performing worse than Iron Man 3. 400 million domestic might be in jeopardy.

X-Men Apocalypse surprises everyone for being the lowest grossing movie, at least regarding domestic grosses. It's holding well against Alice overseas too, so i guess that's another surprise.

Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange will be the next targets.  I'm not feeling this new Joker version.  I'm more excited to see Doctor Strange, but the director is the same guy who did Hellraiser Inferno. So, I'm being realistic to not expect a huge performance from it.

*ahem*

How about the wholly original IP that's going to pass the $1B WW mark? Can you recall its name?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sdeezy said:

yeh numbers are bad across the board. X men needs a shot in the arm stat. they can't return with this same crew or the numbers will dwindle even more

that's why we're hearing about all the changes coming in future X-movies:

-Wolverine 3 is Hugh Jackman's last one

-New Mutants is going to star an entirely different team of characters (relatively speaking at least, ignoring the brief appearance of Sunspot in DOFP and the fact that we'll probably get one or two familiar faces mentoring the kids just for the sake of continuity)

-Deadpool is likely to be joining/anchoring a team movie in X-Force

-the Hugh Jackman replacement to play Wolverine will be so different that it won't even be a male actor, the next Wolverine will likely be a female (Laura/X-23)

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So...just how low is Now You See Me 2 going? Sub-$50M total for sure, right?

I still think that is gonna do 70-80M DOM...

47 minutes ago, Gumby said:

I'm usually not happy when films bomb, but if Apocalypse tanking keeps Olivia Munn's ego from getting any larger, it's a good thing.

That woman shit on too many people who helped her early on.

I still can't get over when she said she didn't take the Vanessa role in Deadpool because she didn't want to play the girl friend. Like clearly someone didn't do their research on Vanessa's character. Heck I am wondering if she even read the script because Vanessa's character had so much more substance to her than Psylocke. So bomb bomb bomb away. 

• Like 3