kayumanggi

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES | 622.3 M overseas ● 794.9 M worldwide

Added 0.57m last week and is 0.39m away from 795.0m. As long as it's still running this week it will get there but doesn't matter much.

5m odd short of 800m is frustrating even if worth celebrating. Disney, fudge China, Japan, Dom and get that 5m. Damn you!

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

Added 0.57m last week and is 0.39m away from 795.0m. As long as it's still running this week it will get there but doesn't matter much.

5m odd short of 800m is frustrating even if worth celebrating. WB, fudge China, Japan, Dom and get that 5m. Damn you!

WB?Disney...

• Thanks 1

On 19/6/2017 at 3:41 AM, keysersoze123 said:

I am not buying that comment. That is a spin. Only Japan is left and its way below Pirates 3 and 4. Definitely not in admissions or even local currency.Minus China it has dropped hard from previous movies whether you look at USD or local currency. 

Still a spin?

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-movie-christopher-nolan-international-box-office-results-opening-weekend-global-1202134249/

"Meanwhile, Disney notes that its Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — with an estimated gross of $596.6M — has become the highest-grossing title of the Pirates franchise internationally (when looking at all at today’s foreign-exchange rates), passing Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which grossed $593.4M at current rates."

Edited by Quigley

17 hours ago, expensiveho said:

In retrospective, Disney truly dodged a bullet with this one. Crazy how this seemed like a massive flop on OW but decent/ok legs and TF5/JL made it look like a nice success at the end.

Overseas legs were very aolid

domestic had to deal with Wonder Woman right away but did ok legwise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah, I'm kinda expecting another one to be made after this, even if with a somehow subdued budget.

If they do one and can actually keep the budget under control (around $150M), I'm sure they'd make money on it.  While they've made a ton of money on this series it is pretty clear based on declining returns if they do another it has to be at a way lower budget.  

47 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

If they do one and can actually keep the budget under control (around $150M), I'm sure they'd make money on it.  While they've made a ton of money on this series it is pretty clear based on declining returns if they do another it has to be at a way lower budget.  

This last one's budget was reportedly $220m and that was about half of what was spent on #4.  With the kind of sets, effects and locations they use I can't see the budget getting lower than that unless Depp works for scale.   If they though they could hold on to say 90% of the audience and not drop another 25-30% or so then that $220m budget would still be viable.

Edited by TalismanRing

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

This last one's budget was reportedly $220m and that was about half of what was spent on #4.  With the kind of sets, effects and locations they use I can't see the budget getting lower than that unless Depp works for scale.   If they though they could hold on to say 90% of the audience and not drop another 25-30% or so then that $220m budget would still be viable.

I think Johnny Depp's asking fee is the number one reason why the budget is so high. Disney should minimize Depp's role and focus more on Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.