kayumanggi

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES | 622.3 M overseas ● 794.9 M worldwide

10 minutes ago, Hades said:

Meh numbers... not much better worldwide opening than the R rated,low budget, non 3D Deadpool (without  China) or even Logan. Wonder Woman will bury this. The next film will struggle to make 500mil worldwide.  

Loads of movies made less than Deadpool worldwide.

A DC movie like Wondee Woman won't be burying anything overseas 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

The problem with this franchise is that it is extremelyy expensive..

Almost any other movie would have been more than fine with $800m.

But with a production budget of $250m and the marketing budget added, I really doubr this will make a profit.

it's similar to the last James Bond movie. Is that movie a failure now? 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Yeah, i find these discussions kind of ridiculous. It used to be make twice the budget and you are in the black. Even with a stricter rule, 800m would be 3.5x its budget. I think Disney would be more than fine with that for a 5th movie in the franchise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I personally believe that pirates will make at least $100m less than Spectre to begin with.

Let's take this from the start, the production budget is at $250m. With marketing added, this should be at about $400-450m.

I never said that the movie will be a failure but a movie that will not make x2 is budget cannot be a big success either. In addition, Pirates will make a lot from China a market notororious for its returns.

Pirates may not lose money but it wont win either. Thats what I believe. I may be wrong and I am ready to hear counterarguments.

Edit: Just saw that Spectre had a profit of $95m with a $880m gross.

The production budget is almost identical so it must be a good comparison.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Let's take this from the start, the production budget is at $250m. With marketing added, this should be at about $400-450m.

I never said that the movie will be a failure but a movie that will not make x2 is budget cannot be a big success either.

All these numbers are pure conjecture, that's what it is. BOM says 230m and even that i'd take with a grain of salt. As for marketing, nobody knows.

Again, it used to be 2x the budget EXCLUDING marketing and you are fine. Sure, since this is more of a OS movie, where studios get less, it may need to do more but again, it will do around 800m which is more than enough.

Edited by Elessar

1 hour ago, movieboner said:

If it only makes $800 million worldwide on a $230 million budget without P & A costs, will Disney make another film or discontinue the franchise?

Depends on the merchendising sales I think.

To recall, in Feb 2011, the franchise reached $1.6B in sales (merchendising) so it translates to $160M-200M directly for Disney

In my opinion, there will be a last one with a lower budget (170-180M) and especially a lower salary for Depp

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

All these numbers are pure conjecture, that's what it is. BOM says 230m and even that i'd take with a grain of salt. As for marketing, nobody knows.

Again, it used to be 2x the budget EXCLUDING marketing and you are fine. Sure, since this is more of a OS movie, where studios get less, it may need to do more but again, it will do around 800m which is more than enough.

I edited my comment with Spectre's estimates profit. I think that with $800m it would be even. Maybe a couple of millions profit.

Even with 160 dom, 160 ch, 430 rest I think it'll still be profitable, but likely not enough for such a large up front investment for disney to pursue another.  I wouldn't want one anyway because the franchise doesn't interest me at all and I would rather see that potential money spent on other movies.

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

Even with 160 dom, 160 ch, 430 rest I think it'll still be profitable, but likely not enough for such a large up front investment for disney to pursue another.  I wouldn't want one anyway because the franchise doesn't interest me at all and I would rather see that potential money spent on other movies.

if we can continue to make so many superhero movies and Bond movies and basically continue every other franchise, I think Pirates can get at least one more movie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

The last James Bond movie did beat Sony marketing target/expectation by 110m at the box office a large oversea overperformance, you can see (also @FantasticBeasts) the expectation (at different time for it), page 13 of that document:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/MKTGFIN/Kathy Binder/FY16 sensitivities 2014-09-03.pdf

They were mostly interested at the BO because of the nature of that contract (they only distribute theatrical), but they still did an estimation of the movie total revenue for 769m WW scenario, and at a budget+participation bonus of nearly 300, the movie was expected to made around 120 million in profit with that BO performance (most of it not going to them). 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, movieboner said:

If it only makes $800 million worldwide on a $230 million budget without P & A costs, will Disney make another film or discontinue the franchise?

They will certainly try. People forget that this franchise is so much more than just the movies.. Disney has revenues coming in from left and right with this..

800 mill WW may not be enough to break even in theaters but they will still make a profit when homemarket,streaming and TV money comes

This is looking at a -42% drop compared to the fourth movie, OS-C, if we apply the same drop to TF5, it would make around $313m OS-C plus $300m from China, and it has a great shot at surpassing $600m OS and winning the year over Pirates, once again. 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

This is looking at a -42% drop compared to the fourth movie, OS-C, if we apply the same drop to TF5, it would make around $313m OS-C plus $300m from China, and it has a great shot at surpassing $600m OS and winning the year over Pirates, once again. 

Why is it so important to you that Transformers will beat Pirates at the box office? Tramsformers still won't make nearly as much as BatB, F8 or TLJ, so it won't even come close to winning the year. I'm pretty sure Paramount doesn't give a crap whether TF5 makes more than Pirates 5 as long as it makes a profit, so why do you care?

• Like 2