Eric Atreides

CoolEric's Cool 25: My Most Meaningful Films

Okay, we're going to the top 10. The hints for #10-6:

10. It's a film 24 years in the making.

9. This movie practically saved its own company.

8. Literally every line from that movie has been quoted in some way, shape, or form.

7. This movie was originally supposed to star John Travolta

6. This movie easily has the best Matrix reference of all time.

• Like 2

Loving your write ups here.  And your opinion of TDK is bang on.  Looking forward to the rest.  

Also, interesting piece on the Witch.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Loving your write ups here.  And your opinion of TDK is bang on.  Looking forward to the rest.  

Also, interesting piece on the Witch.

I actually read the RTM thread for The Witch, and I was surprised by how many people didn't get into it. I mean, different strokes for different folks, but I thought it was easily some of the best writing and direction for a movie I've seen in a long while, and Anya Taylor-Joy was a clear star in the making. Meh, maybe I'm just missing something.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

8. Literally every line from that movie has been quoted in some way, shape, or form.

10. Before Midnight?

9. Elm Street? Hunger Games, Little Mermaid?

8. Casablanca... Anchorman (Never thought they'd qualify for the same clue)

7. Forrest Gump?

6. NO idea...

Les Miserables

Directed by Tom Hooper

"Now life has killed the dream I dreamed."

Les-miserables-movie-poster1.jpg

Box Office: $148.8M Domestic, $441.8M WW

IMDB Summary: In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after breaking parole, agrees to care for a factory worker's daughter. The decision changes their lives forever.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: To talk about this movie, it's best to know about some background. For the most part, I didn't know much about Les Miserables. I knew what it was, and the basic premise of "a guy goes to prison for stealing bread". But the reason why I wanted to see this movie, and why I waited with bated breath, was this one teaser:

This still gives me goosebumps! This had wonderful actors, a glorious production design, and a bone-chilling performance of Anne Hathaway singing one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. It was a perfectly edited trailer, and news about the film's groundbreaking achievement of having all of the actors actually sing their lines on set instead of a pre-recorded track made it seem like this movie was going to be a modern masterpiece.

I can't say that it's a modern masterpiece nowadays, as there are moments in the direction and some of the acting that doesn't really hold up, but when I saw it at the ripe age of 15, it was still quite the life-changing experience. Right from the opening sequence, I was hooked. The camera zooming across the oceans and shipwrecks, and ending with the prisoners forced to pull the mighty freights, as the wicked Javert stares down upon them, with the opening song roaring triumphantly was an amazing attention-grabber, and a wonderful way to start the film.

From then on, I saw true, raw emotion. The innocence of Jean Valjean was immediately endearing, and the coldness of Javert was immediately despicable, and the cat and mouse game they play was truly engrossing. It brought up the ideas of how far people will go for justice, and whether who is truly corrupt: the criminal who wished to help his family, or the police inspector who refuses to look at the big picture.

So many wonderful scenes are in this movie that really punched me in the gut. The time when Javert and Cosette meet the first time is so sweet and joyful, that it's hard not to love it. The confrontation against Javert and Jean after Fantine's death, as the two fight against one another with swords and their words was extremely well-done and action-packed, minus a few awkward shots where the camera didn't let you see anything. The death of Gavroche, which ignited the true form of the revolution, and even made the heartless Javert honor him for his bravery, is so perfectly done and such a beautiful symbol for the loss of innocence and the fight amongst the Rebellion to create a better future for the youth. And "Can you Hear the People Sing?" Oh, "Can you Hear the People Sing?" Both the original and the reprise are just perfect. Each shot given is perfectly chosen, it's emotionally powerful, and it leaves you full of energy, ready to fight the corruption of your own government, and fight for truth and justice. The ending alone is just amazing, as we see all of the people who gave their lives for a better tomorrow for the country they love all together celebrating that what they have done has lead to a wonderful future. How can you not tear up at that?

But speaking of tearing up, what stole the entire movie was "I Dreamed a Dream". There's no flash, no intercutting, and no magnificent singing. We just see Anne Hathaway as Fantine, sitting and reflecting on her decisions, as raw emotion comes out, her choking up and attempting to hold back the tears to no avail. It's done in one take, and it is a wonderful performance that pretty much earned Anne Hathaway the Oscar. It's one of the very, very few moments in movies that I genuinely cried in, and it's pretty hard for me to do that.

After I left the theater, it made me realize the power of what film could do. It grabbed me, hooked me, touched me, and left me out as a different person, and on that day, I knew I wanted to be in the film industry. The only problem was that I didn't know where to go or what to do. It wasn't until next year that I knew what I really wanted to do. And...well, I'll talk about it later. ;)

• Like 4

6. The Lego Movie (hopefully...)?

Cinderella

Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Hamilton Luske, and Wilfred Jackson

"No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true."

Cinderella-disney-poster.jpg

Box Office: $93.1M Domestic Lifetime

IMDB Summary: When Cinderella's cruel stepmother prevents her from attending the Royal Ball, she gets some unexpected help from the lovable mice Gus and Jaq, and from her Fairy Godmother.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: Every day, there seems to be some sort of article complaining about the Disney Princesses, with Cinderella in particular. The arguments people have are that she does nothing but sit around and wait for a man, she believes that its okay to marry someone you just met, and she's a terrible influence for little girls everywhere. And to me, that's kinda sad, not only due to this being one of my favorite Disney movies, as well as possibly one of my favorite films of all time, but because people clearly have no idea what makes the story of Cinderella so wonderful and timeless, as well as one of the greatest fictional role models that ever existed.

At the end of the day, the idea of Cinderella is something that is found all over our culture. It's the story of an underdog, who nobody pays any attention or gives any love to fighting the odds and gaining her dream. It's a story that's found all over the news, from sports stars to business tycoons, and is a story that could arguably found in all of us.

We're all Cinderella at some point. We're stuck in the lowest of situations, and we're forced to do actions and tasks against our will. We have little support, there are doubters and obstacles fighting us and pushing us down, and at some point there's rock bottom, where everything we tried to work for seems like it was all for naught, and that we should just give up. This parallels with the story of Cinderella: she's all alone, is treated shabbily by her cruel family, and when opportunity comes when she is allowed to experience something new and magical, even if for just one night, all of the work and effort seems to be for naught, as her oppressors destroy her hopes for something grand.

And yet, magic comes to our heroine, much like magic comes to us. We are rewarded by our own fairy godmother, whether it be a person or some event, rewarding us for our hard work and kindness, and giving us a chance to experience and enjoy what we love, even if for just a while. It's that glorious feeling when what you tried to achieve has managed to actually get some sort of recognition and has advanced you further in life. What makes it even better is the ability to finally vanquish the things that were holding you back, much like the glass slipper finally being put on Cinderella's foot, as her once brief moment of happiness is now an eternal flame that will burn for the rest of her life, enjoying a new life away her original and decrepit state. It's very much like when we say goodbye to the things that were holding us back or keeping us from what we truly wanted, whether it be a lack of money, a dead-end job, or people giving doubts about your dreams.

So in short, Cinderella gives one of the most valuable lessons any child should know: that hard work, determination, wit, and kindness leads to great things, and that even in the worst of times, there's a silver lining that'll emerge that will take you to a place of bliss and happiness. It's a wonderful moral and a huge picker-upper for people young and old. It's the archetype for the rags to riches story, and I'm glad such an archetype is able to give such an important and valuable life lesson and belief to hold on to.

• Like 1

The Wizard of Oz

Directed by Victor Fleming

"There's no place like home."

the-wizard-of-oz.12679.jpg

Box Office: $22.3M Domestic, $23.3M WW

IMDB Summary: Dorothy Gale is swept away to a magical land in a tornado and embarks on a quest to see the Wizard who can help her return home.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: Some people have a gold standard of a film. A film that is so perfectly constructed in its writing, presentation, and acting, that all other films must take influence upon it. And while The Wizard of Oz isn't my first choice for that title (we'll get to that masterpiece soon), it's still a very worthy second.

What really makes this movie so incredible is the simple fact that there's no feeling of datedness. When I watch a movie like Casablanca or The Graduate, while I admire and appreciate them, I do feel a sense of datedness. And by that I mean that some elements, such as pacing or acting, feels very much like a product of its time. But The Wizard of Oz? It still holds up perfectly. The film is still impressive and beautiful to look at, with its visual effects and costume design still wonderfully crafted. The acting is still strong, as the actors are able to give so much life and personality to their characters. The characters alone are all memorable, with each one being lovable and endearing. Its story hits us to our core of us, and is able to tug our emotional heartstrings in just the right spots. And its important message of staying true to who you are and where you are from is a fantastic moral that rings true to many of the people that watch it, whether they be eight or 80.

Many people like to say, "they just don't make movies like they used to", and while that argument is suspect, I definitely feel that the magic, artistry, and creativity of The Wizard of Oz has yet to be captured by any other filmmaker, and I don't think any filmmaker, even 100 years from now, will be able to capture it. While other films will be forgotten about within a few months, The Wizard of Oz will still be there, enchanting new viewers, inspiring creative artists, and being placed on the DVD shelves or iTunes libraries for millions of people. It is like a painting of Van Gogh. Just taking one look at it, and you know that it is flawless. Nothing needed to be added, and nothing needed to be erased. It's film magic at its finest, and since film is a big part of my life, that's all I really need to put it this high on my list.

• Like 2

Forrest Gump

Directed by Robert Zemeckis

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you're going to get."

forrest-gump-poster1.jpg

Box Office: $330.3M Domestic Lifetime, $677.9M WW

IMDB Summary: Forrest Gump, while not intelligent, has accidentally been present at many historic moments, but his true love, Jenny Curran, eludes him.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: If there's one thing that I strongly believe in, it's the idea of the "ripple effect". The idea that one's actions impacts another person's actions or an event, and those said actions or that said event impacts another person's actions or another event, and so on and so forth. And one of the key cogs to that thinking of mine comes from Robert Zemeckis' fantastic film, Forrest Gump. The film looks at one man, a simple man, and his life story, and it's learned that what he does changes the face of America and many key elements of history.

Forrest teaches Elvis some dance moves, becomes a college football superstar, takes part in one of the deadliest wars, helps with the end of Sino-American tensions, reveals the crookedness of president Richard Nixon, and creates icons of pop culture that was famous in the 60s and today. It all was done by him, as he influences a good chunk of history, specifically at a time when ideals, ideas, and opinions were radically changing, due to the counterculture movement and the age of rebellion. And that's excluding what he does to the people around him. There's his friendship with Bubba, whose legacy and advice has led to his family as well as Forrest as multimillionaires. There's his friendship with Lt. Dan, who begins to now appreciate the importance of a long life and humility thanks to Forrest saving his life. And of course, there's his friendship with Jenny. While Forrest lived with a supportive and strong-willed mother, Jenny lived with an abusive and alcoholic disgrace of a father. The movie follows the eyes of not just Forrest, but Jenny, and how their lives intertwine in one of the most unique time periods in American history; a time when authority was questioned, and the standard way of living was fought against by the new generation. It leads to scenes of tragedy and depression as she goes through this self-destructive lifestyle, on the brink of falling apart. And yet one thing glues her together and keeps her strong: Forrest. Their paths cross multiple times over the years, and while they may argue and leave in awkward situations, the two always have each other on their minds, and it's what keeps them living. Their kindness towards one another ever since they were young is what drives them and keeps them strong, showing how important individual actions can be to a person, no matter what background they have.

Now one may ask why I would put Forrest Gump up here for these reasons and not It's A Wonderful Life. Well the best way to put it is that it's because of the setting and the characterizations. The film being a period piece that focuses on the 60s and the 70s, a time of counterculture and anti-authority symbolizes how actions create a ripple effect that can be as strong as changing history as we know it, while the characters themselves all come from their own unique backgrounds, yet they all connect and have incredible strengths. Forrest is mentally handicapped, but still has an endearing and loyal personality. Jenny is self-destructive and suffers from feelings of depression, but still pushes through just for Forrest. Lt. Dan lost his chance at "destiny", as well as his legs, but discovers about the joys of life and to experience and love what each day offers. They are flawed and strange, yet are also powerful and touching. Robert Zemeckis knows about how powerful the ripple effect can be, and he expresses that in a fantastic film with great characters, writing, and theming, and it's a film I can always come back to and love no matter how many times I see it.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 5

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Directed by Ben Stiller

"Beautiful things don't ask for attention."

The_Secret_Life_of_Walter_Mitty_poster.j

Box Office: $58.2M Domestic, $188.8M WW

IMDB Summary: When his job along with that of his co-worker are threatened, Walter takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: What's so depressing about this movie is that no one ever talks about it. It did mediocre at the box office, critics were completely split on it, and even the people who do like it generally think of it as a funny and entertaining romp, and nothing more. Nowadays, people never talk about it or acknowledge its existence. It's a shame for me, because this film is a major stepping stone in my interest in film, and what I want my destiny to be.

The film is clearly supposed to appeal to an older audience, but I oddly felt a strong connection to what Walter Mitty went through when I first saw the movie on Christmas Day when I was just 16. The film looks at a man stuck in the worst place imaginable: a place of mediocrity. He is mistreated at his job, is ignored by his sister, has severe feelings of insecurity, and has spent most of his life in boredom and monotony. He wants to be considered great, and dreams of fighting away from his boring life, but he can't bring himself to do it, until faith comes along, and his calling is discovered.

As someone who grew up all of his life in the suburbs, in addition to have strong feelings of introversion and anxiety, this movie really spoke to me. I want to break free from the dullness of suburbia, but I can't leave my home. I want to be in new places and meet new people, but I'm too young to fully explore. And so, my fantasies and ideas of exploring and enjoying all of the world's opportunies can only be just that: fantasies and ideas.

But what Walter Mitty shows is the joy that life can give. There are so many wonderful sights and sounds, and so many unique people. We are able to have so many unique adventures and experiences if we just go bold and have confidence in our blood. Our fantasies can become reality if we set outside and put our minds to our visions and aspirations. We shouldn't stay trapped in boredom and daydreaming like the old Walter Mitty. We should be adventurous and let our dreams become a reality, no matter how much we doubt ourselves. This movie makes me want to be the new Walter Mitty. I want to see the world, I want to fight for my dreams, I want to have confidence; and after seeing this movie, I knew right then and there that I wanted to be in the world of journalism. I want to be creative, I want to travel, and I want to experience new and interesting things. And so, Walter Mitty has become the biggest inspiration in my dreams and who I want to be in my upcoming adult life.

Walter Mitty and Tropic Thunder aside, I can't really say that I'm a fan of Ben Stiller's directorial efforts, but Walter Mitty alone makes him a director that's close to my heart, and I'm blessed that he was able to bring this movie to the world.

• Like 1

Oz and Gump are two bona fide classics, no doubt.  But Mitty is a really good up lifting movie.  I really enjoyed it and I loved the message.

• Like 1

The Anti-War Genre

Slide1.jpg

Why it's so Meaningful to Me:

So I decided to cheat on this one. While making the list, I was going to put Saving Private Ryan, but then my mind changed to Platoon...then it changed to Deer Hunter...then it changed to Pan's Labyrinth...and then I just decided to put this unique genre together in one spot, as all of those moves I've listed fit into something that is near and dear to my heart: a call for peace and a battle against warfare.

Ever since I was young, one of the most important things that my parents have told me was that violence lead to nothing. It may fix things in the short-term, but violence only creates more violence, which in turn creates more conflict than before. And while some fights can be done for good causes, using guns and grenades to defend yourself doesn't lead to peace or victory. Many may not realize this, but warfare on the battlefield creates a massive impact to the lives of the people in the home countries. Families are forced to grieve for the loss of lives and homes, kids are forced to grow up seeing guns and corpses around the areas they play, and drones are high up in the sky, striking down and bombing places filled with innocents, making people hate seeing sunshine and blue skies, because they see the things that killed their loved ones. To say nothing of the soldiers that have to come back home, forced to remember the terrible acts they were forced to commit under the guidelines of the military system that really just want to protect their own hide instead of creating a bond and peaces

As a strong pacifist, and someone who is against war in all forms unless it is absolutely necessary, I'm happy to know that most, if not all filmmakers, have my back. The stories found in Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, The Hurt Locker, Fury, Schindler's List, and other films about soldiers or films that take place in a time of war, all bring up a painful truth: war is hell. It's nothing more than the greed of government officials, trying to gain power, save their hide, or prove that their way of living is the most righteous, and doing so by destroying everything else around them, including the very people that are supporting such endeavors. These artists are aware about these intentions and take the inherent flaws and their own personal experiences, and share them on the screen, telling the world why we shouldn't drink the Kool-Aid given to us, and to actually stand up and say, "do we have to go to war? Can't we possibly talk it out and come to an agreement?" There's a real bravery to stand up like that, and it's another reason why I love filmmakers so much; they have something they want to say, and they'll say it, no matter who objects to them.

• Like 4

Cinema Paradiso

Directed by Giuseppe Tornatore

"Life isn't like in the movies. Life is...much harder"

Cinema-Paradiso-Poster.jpg

Box Office: $12.4M Domestic Lifetime

IMDB Summary: A filmmaker recalls his childhood, when he fell in love with the movies at his village's theater and formed a deep friendship with the theater's projectionist.

Why it's So Meaningful to Me: I don't know if most people nowadays know about this movie or not, but for anyone that calls themselves a cinephile, this is a movie that is necessary to view, as it is the perfect explanation for why we love movies, and why they are cherished in our hearts so strongly. It's a charming film that explains how a person's life, ideas, and feelings are impacted by movies, and as someone whose grown up in a culture that treats movies like they are an important function of life, this is a film that really touches the heart.

For those who don't know, the Italian comedy-drama is about a young boy named Salvatore who spends all of his free time at the local movie theater, Cinema Paradiso, and the film follows him in a coming-of-age story, as he befriends the fatherly projectionist, becomes the projectionist himself, falls in love, leaves to join the military, and then is forced to leave his home in order to chase his dreams, and explore what the world has to offer. And throughout the film, we see how Salvatore's life is impacted due to what Cinema Paradiso. It makes him cope with the struggle of his family, it gives him a role model to look up to, and his moral code and way of thinking is inspired by the likes of Henry Fonda and James Stewart.

This alone gives the perfect explanation to why so many of us hold films to our hearts. They are not just pieces of entertainment, but rather parts of our lives, whether it be childhood or adulthood. It's how we understand ideas and how the world works. It tells us tales of adventure, romance, horror, and so much more in entertaining or thought-provoking ways. The characters that are upon the screen are like family to us; we love their bravery, their charm, or their intellect, as they become more human and relatable than actual people. The stories that are shown are ones that relate to our own struggles, or are adventures that we wish to embark. The themes and ideas they share, ranging from multiple facets and ideals that soon become our own personal moral codes.

What I'm really trying to say is that film is a humongous touchstone that impacts us in multiple ways, and for many of us, we would be completely different people without them. And Cinema Pardiso explains it in a way that's funny, sweet, cute, clever, sad, uplifting, heart-breaking, and majestic. If you haven't heard of it, or just haven't bothered to see it, please do. It's a magnificent film that is great for all walks of life, but to us cinephiles in particular.

• Like 1

Wall-E

Directed by Andrew Stanton

"I can't just sit here and do nothing. That's all I've ever done! Nothing!"

open-uri20150422-12561-ju7v2w_040d400d.j

Box Office: $223.8M Domestic, $521.3M WW

IMDB Summary: In the distant future, a small waste-collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.

Why it's So Meaningful to Me: For Pixar enthusiasts, what is considered to be the crown jewel of the company varies from person to person. For some, it's Toy Story. For others, it's The Incredibles. For others, it's Inside Out. But for me, the studio's absolute best is the sci-fi romance adventure epic, Wall-E. I watched this feature when I was about 10 or 11, and since then, I knew it was an important movie. A movie that will be an instant classic and featured some of the most painfully true commentary about life.

Of course, I could go on and on about Wall-E's hilarious comedy, clear influences from the likes of silent comedy, its endearingly likable lead characters, who exude so much personality and life in every little action they do, its absolutely gorgeous animation, and its heartwarming love story that explains how incredible and powerful true love can really be, but I feel that the strongest element of the film that should be discussed far more is its look at society, corruption, and who we really are as people. In our continuing push for new technology and industrialization, and our obsession in having things easier and easier to the point where everything we could do must be done by some complicated machinery, instead of our own actions, we indirectly destroy our own world and ourselves. The humans become overlords to the gigantic conglomerate of Buy 'n Large. They've created an entire monopoly and have infested the minds of people obsessed with consumerism and material wants, which had lead to the earth infested with nothing but trash and garbage as far as the eye can see. Why bother with that old junk, when the new shiny thing is on the market, and is faster and easier? It is because of BnL's infestation that humanity is forced to leave their only home, and embark on an endless cruise ride. But within a few hundred years, humanity has come to its absolute worst. We stick ourselves in hovering chairs, and are tended to our every need like young babies. Better yet, humanity has become so morbidly obese due to their lack of activity, that we now have the shape of babies. Instead of evolving, we are devolving to the point that we are just hollow shells with no personality or understanding about the world. The machines take over, and we just accept it, finding no need to mature or develop ourselves, and instead be slaves to technology.

It seems that all is hopeless, but here comes Wall-E, a machine unlike the others, who is almost like a messiah that indirectly enlightens the lives of these passengers. John and Mary realize that there's so much more to the world they inhabit in their ginormous spaceship that hi-speed tech could never provide in the same way. M-O and EVE move past their programming, and earn human characteristics thanks to their interactions with this outsider. And the members aboard the ship are transported back to Earth to begin a new life on the planet, with an optimistic and hopeful ending that always warms my heart whenever I watch it, and gives people an important message to stray away from buying the new shiny thing their TV tells them to get, and maybe try to take care the Earth and the world around them for a change.

Wall-E is quite frankly an absolute gem, and I dare to say a perfect movie, with one of the most beautiful love stories ever told and a fantastic message that should be shared to everyone, all done in a clever and unique family feature, that is the holy grail of the Pixar canon.

• Like 2