egoplant

Terrence Malick

Days of Heaven is one of my favorite films of all time. Badlands, Thin Red Line and The New World are all very good too. I'm pretty lukewarm towards The Tree of Life, but - admittedly, having expected the worst - found To the Wonder surprisingly watchable and even pretty good at spots - perhaps thanks to complete lack of the "masterpiece!" hoopla that was all over TTOL. 

In any case I don't think it can be argued that Malick is one of the most distinctive and attention-demanding filmmakers of the past half a century, and the fact that he got to that point after so few films only makes it more of an achievement. 

A lot of people here seem to have no taste. :P my personal favourite is Thin Red Line. But they're all good, and with the exception of To The Wonder, they're all masterpieces. I think that his newer work is particularly interesting, especially Tree of Life because it is like a meditation in the midsection between opposing forces. It's like applying the Daoist Harmonic philosophy to Western Antagonistic philosophy. Absolutely fascinating. Can't wait for Knight of Cups and his untitled other movie.

• Like 2

Today I watched To the Wonder, the first Malick film I've ever seen...it was so weird, the movies looks incredible, but i couldn't understand what was about :) ...but i kinda liked it. :)  I will watch The Thin Red Line in the next few weeks, and maybe Tree of Life by the end of july. His directing style is superb, but the story is subpar (in To The Wonder).

I simply love Tree of Life, and really enjoy Thin Red Line.

Sadly, I haven't seen any of his other films, but the trio of New World, Badlands, and Days of Heaven should be arriving over the course of the next few weeks from my Netflix queue.