egoplant

Terrence Malick

I've only seen two (I know, I know, I really need to see Badlands and Days of Heaven), so here we go...

The New World is good, I suppose. It's pretty as can be, but the story wanders so often that I found it hard to keep up with. Granted, I haven't seen it since 2006, and I was initially expecting something completely different than what I got, so perhaps it's worth revisiting.

The Tree of Life, on the other hand, was my favorite movie of 2011. Not only is it beautiful (seriously, how did it not at least win the cinematography Oscar?), but it also quietly but powerfully hones in on the struggle that many of us feel as vivid and vulnerable beings who are ultimately specks in the grand scheme of life on Earth. It tells a story that is grand, yet intimate, and even though I'm obviously not a person who grew up in 1950s Texas, I still found myself relating on an emotional level to so many of the experiences that were depicted over the course of the film. Perhaps it's the eternal optimist in me, but I was touched by the sentiment I perceived from the film, which is that no matter how much we struggle with our place in the universe, all will ultimately be made right after death. As such, without being anything resembling an explicitly religious movie, it's the most profoundly and poignantly religious experience I have ever had while watching a movie. It's a film of staggering power, and I'm looking forward to revisiting it again some time soon.

1.The Thin Red Line

2.Days of Heaven

3.Tree of Life

4.Badlands

5.To the Wonder

6.The New World

I saw New World and Thin Red Line before my twentys and didn't like either. I rewatched Red Line last year and now consider it his best. So I might shortchanging New World but I haven't seen it since it came out.