CJohn

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It | June 4 2021

On 5/18/2021 at 5:43 PM, Boxofficerules said:

This has been given an 18 cert in the UK, colour me interested.

It’s a 15:

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/the-conjuring-the-devil-made-me-do-it-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc01mzazmja

Some places (like Nightflix Drive In) have been provisionally rating it 18 for some reason, but it’s definitely a 15.

12 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I've heard this movie was demolished in test screenings last year, and they reshoot a good part of it in the past months, maybe they manage to really save the movie.

The original planned reshoots in July 2020 were delayed due to covid. The February reshoot was only casting background people and extras. Could just be additional clean up shots. 

I haven’t seen anything about test screenings. Remember Deadpool 2 apparently had dreadful test screenings then reshoots and turned out ok, albeit not as good as the first. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The original planned reshoots in July 2020 were delayed due to covid. The February reshoot was only casting background people and extras. Could just be additional clean up shots. 

I haven’t seen anything about test screenings. Remember Deadpool 2 apparently had dreadful test screenings then reshoots and turned out ok, albeit not as good as the first. 

ViewerAnon said the reshoots that happened this year was pretty big.

https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/status/1381740790087512067?s=19

At least it seems it works, i love this franchise so i was worried after Curse of Llorona. The reactions are not a proof of quality but at least indicates the reviews should be decent, which i'm good and happy with.

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

ViewerAnon said the reshoots that happened this year was pretty big.

Ah lol just online chatter then. 

I never put confidence in test screenings.

Final Destination had the highest scores ever at the time :), always loved that fact lol

17 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s a 15:

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/the-conjuring-the-devil-made-me-do-it-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc01mzazmja

Some places (like Nightflix Drive In) have been provisionally rating it 18 for some reason, but it’s definitely a 15.

It was cut down, originally an 18, they cut it down to get a 15.

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ah lol just online chatter then.

It's not just online chatter. Vieweranon is pretty accurate regarding this kinda stuff. I highly doubt this didn't go through large reshoots of some kind. I wonder if Wan might've even directed the reshoots.

It's my understanding that a lot of footage in the trailer, like Lorraine on the cliff, was shot in January.

That doesn't mean it's bad, though. Sometimes reshoots really do improve a movie. The early blogger word is relatively positive though I don't know anyone who's seen the final cut.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

It was cut down, originally an 18, they cut it down to get a 15.

Ah I didn’t spot that yesterday. That’s a shame, although from the cuts information it sounds like it’s a very brief cut so probably nothing to get excited about. Even the uncut version is probably borderline 15.

Potential spoiler Information regarding what was cut:

Spoiler

The BBFC are generally overly sensitive when it comes to suicide scenes. It sounds similar to a scene that they required to be cut in The Invisible Man where a character starts to cut their wrist with a brief shot of blood which accounted for less than two seconds (although that didn’t stop Universal cheekily marketing the 18 rated Blu Ray as the “Extended Cut”…).

UK previews last night at Cineworld seemed to provide a generally good reaction too. 

I noticed a consensus of “a return to form for the Conjuring films” but I always thought the second film was pretty good. 

Edited by Krissykins

86% now with 7 reviews, 7.4 average

I don't really understand why Warner is still working with different embargos dates for each country but anyway, based on the reviews already out from UK, i think we can expect this to end up fresh at least.

It's surprising how well this franchise hold up in the last 8 years, both quality and commercially wise.

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

86% now with 7 reviews, 7.4 average

I don't really understand why Warner is still working with different embargos dates for each country but anyway, based on the reviews already out from UK, i think we can expect this to end up fresh at least.

It's surprising how well this franchise hold up in the last 8 years, both quality and commercially wise.

I think it’s because it’s actually released here in the UK today. 

• Like 1

Now up to 91% after 11 reviews, which interestingly is exactly the same as the first two films at this point. The average rating ranges from Conjuring 2's 6.8, Conjuring's 7.5 and now this is at a 7.

It is rather funny that we'd get well over a dozen social media reactions (all of them positive) from critics in the US, and then a few days later we get almost only UK reviews. I can only imagine the purpose is to make sure they're out in the UK in time for their release (today!), while they want to save the US ones so the positives don't get buried over a week before June 4.