CJohn

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It | June 4 2021

The non-RT certified publications are positive across the board so far from what I can see. Out of the RT publications that also reviewed the other two films, most of them line up very well. HeyUGuys just came in on RT and they have a 3/5 across the board for the trilogy. TotalFilm's 3/5 is in line with the first one, and higher than the second (2/5). The UK publications with reviews of the previous films are overall extremely similar to the first, and both of them a bit below the second. Coincidentally the second being the one set in the UK.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

UK previews last night at Cineworld seemed to provide a generally good reaction too. 

I noticed a consensus of “a return to form for the Conjuring films” but I always thought the second film was pretty good. 

Maybe they’re referring to the spins offs, Nun and Lalaorona

I assumed they're talking about the spinoffs too, people really slept on Annabelle Comes Home. I rewatched Conjuring 2 earlier today and for as much as I love the first film, god damn I like the second more. I would say even that is overlooked. James Wan hasn't been on fire as much as that behind the camera either before or since, and the script is filled with great scenes.

Watched the first two films last night in prep for tonight. Both are great with genuine scares. Vera and Patrick really carry the films too. 

This film will move the Conjuring franchise over $2b if it makes more than ~ $86m worldwide. 

This was like a 6/10

I enjoyed myself and wasn't bored

A lot less focus on character and they don't milk the most out of the set-pieces as James Wan did. It just quickly moves from one to the next, there's no real standout sequence. 

Did enjoy the the structure/plot though, I was fond of the investigative nature of the film. Wilson/Farmiga are always great but the character drama that's there feels somewhat trite, as do the plot mechanics. 

The links to real life did bother me throughout, especially since this one revolves around an actual murder (the previous 2 were largely harmless) and like the previous films the movie does try to tie itself to reality in the end credits. Left a bit of a sour taste. 

Edited by FilmFincher

68% on RT with 6.2 average based on nearly 60 reviews, probably not going rotten at this point.

I'm satisfied. Considering is from Llorona director, have terrible test screenings, faced major reshoots etc i think being fresh is a win.

I hope it's fun and audiences liked the movie, we need movies well received like AQP2 and Cruella to guarantee people will back to theaters 

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

68% on RT with 6.2 average based on nearly 60 reviews, probably not going rotten at this point.

I'm satisfied. Considering is from Llorona director, have terrible test screenings, faced major reshoots etc i think being fresh is a win.

I hope it's fun and audiences liked the movie, we need movies well received like AQP2 and Cruella to guarantee people will back to theaters 

Like 3 weeks ago I thought this was getting in the 35-40% range and that's what I've thought for years, so I'm more than satisfied that it looks to be pulling through. Even beyond Wan leaving, to merely be the third film in a trilogy of horror movies and have reviews be this solid is pretty much unheard of.

Funny enough right now 59 reviews in, it is literally exactly where The Conjuring 2 and Annabelle Creation were at this point.

• Like 1

There seems to be a bit of revisionist history going on here in regards to The Conjuring 2. I keep seeing reviews saying this one is “a return to form” as if the second one wasn’t good. I remembered it being well received and getting good reviews, I just had to check RT to make sure I wasn’t misremembering things (it’s sat at 80%). Has the second one gone down in people’s opinions over the last few years or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

There seems to be a bit of revisionist history going on here in regards to The Conjuring 2. I keep seeing reviews saying this one is “a return to form” as if the second one wasn’t good. I remembered it being well received and getting good reviews, I just had to check RT to make sure I wasn’t misremembering things (it’s sat at 80%). Has the second one gone down in people’s opinions over the last few years or something?

Think they’re talking about the other Conjuring movies post 2. Nun, La Llorona, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I have seen revisionist history going both ways for The Conjuring 2 in a way that just seems weird. I remember seeing, at the time, tons and tons of critical reactions to that movie being similar to how the reactions for the third film are now when comparing them to the first film (It's not particularly scary, etc etc). But now I see just as many saying Conjuring 1 and 2 being pretty much on equal grounds (and way more saying 2 is better than 1 compared to back in 2016) and it's only the third film that's a sharp decline by comparison. In fact the rottentomatoes consensus for the two are pretty similar:

The Conjuring 2 can't help but lose a bit of its predecessor's chilly sting through familiarity, but what remains is still a superior ghost story told with spine-tingling skill.

The Devil Made Me Do It represents a comedown for the core Conjuring films, although Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson keep the audience invested.

But you're also right in that there's a revisionist history going the other way for that film, it's very strange to me. But Conjuring 2 did have a very wild ride with the tomatometer, it took well over a month after it had come out to get to 80%:

conjuring2.png

conjuring21.png

EDIT: in the 60s on day of release and took a few more days to build up to a certified fresh.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Think they’re talking about the other Conjuring movies post 2. Nun, La Llorona, etc.

Ah that makes sense. I never really count the spin offs as part of the main franchise. I never bothered with any of them personally, not even the Annabelle movies.