Wrath

BOT User Tracking 6/24-26 Free State of Jones, Independence Day, Neon Demon, Shallows

My favorite part of summer, as seemingly every weekend has a big blockbuster coming and its almost impossible to suffer through back-to-back weekends without anything worth watching (unlike, say, September, when stretches like that can last a month or more). Let the festivities continue!

Please provide your 6/24-26 Opening Weekend predicts for, 

Free State of Jones

Independence Day 2

Neon Demon

Shallows

Deadline this week will be Thursday afternoon (US Eastern time), whenever I get to it. Note that we will be using our median predict rather than our mean predict going forward.

I'm lowering my original prediction for Free State of Jones and increasing the one for The Shallows 

ID4- $40M (I may even go lower closer to the release date 

The Shallows- $21M (if it gets good reviews and good WOM I think this will go up) 

Free State of Jones- $9M (I see promo for it but I don't see any buzz for it)

Neon Demon- $1M 

Independence Day - 46 (hopefully lower. It looks terrible, but transformers 'turn off your brain' crowd might show.)

The Shallows - 27 (going high with this one, buzz and marketing have been incredible.)

Free State of Jones - 8 (wrong year for a white savior movie. Also looks meh.)

Neon Demon - 1 (reviews needed to be better. Horror crowd will go shallows, art-house crowd for Swiss army man or Wilderpeople)

Edited by Daniel23
added explanations

27 minutes ago, kowhite said:

The ID4-2 numbers make me sad.  Free State of Jones is getting what it deserves.  Shallows...kinda hoping it beats expectations.

Neon Demon isn't making shit.  

Yeah. I don't even know how many screens Neon Demon is opening on other than "Wide". Could be 600.

• Like 1

Somewhat fewer predicts than last week, but not a huge difference, which is a surprise to me. A Finding Dory doesn't come out every week, whereas an ID: Resurgence, if you look at the lower predicts, pretty much does. Perhaps this is a good sign for the weekend? I wonder if there's a correlation between the # of predicts and the OW totals.

MovieWeb.com's predicts were disappointing in that I was expecting like 95M for ID:2 and 3.5M for Shallows, but they were almost reasonable this week.  Almost (3.9M Neon Demon?). Also, I think we're all a little sad Neon Demon was released in 700-ish theaters instead of, say, 590. Did it really *HAVE* to be a wide release? Sigh.

Compared to the other sites, our predicts are about in the middle on Free State of Jones, rather pessimistic on ID:R, extremely pessimistic on Neon Demon, and quite optimistic on The Shallows. 

As usual, I totaled all predicts (20 for Free State of Jones and ID:2, 19 for Shallows and 15 for Neon Demon) and here are the results: 

Free State of Jones

Mean: 10.4M

Median: 9.6M

StnDev: 2.53M (revised StnDev: 2.33M)

Ratio (StnDev/Mean): 26.31%

High: 15.2M

Low: 6.11M

BO.com 9.5M 

Deadline 12M

MovieWeb 9M

ShowBuzzDaily 9.5M

Variety 12M