chasmmi

The Super Duper Official BOT Top Movie Songs Countdown!

25th - 74 points (7 votes, 1 top 5)

Stayin' Alive - Saturday Night Fever

When you look at the guy now, its hard to think that twice, John Travolta was the darling of Hollywood. Once as a dancing sex machine, and once as that cool guy from pulp fiction and Face off.

But you look at that opening credit sequence right there, all he is doing is walking around with a tin of paint, but its cool. He was the man and he knew it. It's such a classic song and film that it was never going to miss the list. Only question is whether it is too high or too low or just right.

• Like 8

24th - 74 points (7 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

My Heart Will Go On - Titanic

The general opinion of Titanic has bounced up and down about as much as Winslet's breasts do in the film, well that is kind of not true, those breasts were rigid and firm every scene they were in.

But the point is there. The film was expected to be a floptastic failure, because the biggest grossing thing in the history of everything and swept the Oscars. It was an all time great film. Then something happened, it just seemed to pick up more and more hate and became that sappy piece of Cameron Oscar Bait that stopped him making Terminator films. There was a good period of time when it felt like people did not like Titanic.

And then things changed again, gradually people fell in love with the boat all over again and it is now back in its place as a modern classic and with it Celine is back in her rightful place as power ballad goddess of the soundtrack with this great song. It is also a great example of how a song and a score can be woven together to elevate each of them within the context of the other.

• Like 10

And stop there for today. The final plan is to get this finished either in 3 bursts of 8 or two bursts of 12.

You may have to wait up to 48 hours for the next burst as Saturday is an evil mistress, but worst case scenario... this is done by Tuesday.

16 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

25th - 74 points (7 votes, 1 top 5)

Stayin' Alive - Saturday Night Fever

When you look at the guy now, its hard to think that twice, John Travolta was the darling of Hollywood. Once as a dancing sex machine, and once as that cool guy from pulp fiction and Face off.

But you look at that opening credit sequence right there, all he is doing is walking around with a tin of paint, but its cool. He was the man and he knew it. It's such a classic song and film that it was never going to miss the list. Only question is whether it is too high or too low or just right.

Pure swag + ability to eat two slices of pizza simultaneously + that Soundtrack= :circles:

• Like 1

Edelweiss reminded me that I forgot to say yesterday that I prefer the quintet version of tonight much more than the other one. Humor, drama and just as much feeling and emotion from Maria.

I similarly like the version of edelweiss at the end of the film a lot too, but this time it's much closer between the two in terms of context imo.

51 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

26th - 72 points (6 votes, 1 top 10)

Edelweiss - Sound of Music

The Sound of Music's stranglehold on this list ends with its 5th and final entrant in the top 15, more than any other film (2 others had/have 4 songs out of which West Side story was one more point on "I Feel Pretty away from joing SOM on 5).

I have already mentioned my own personal surprise that this song beat out sound of music to top song of the film, and especially that it managed it through getting two votes more than the title song. Obviously it is the little folk song that resonates more with fans of the film than the more bombastic uplifting number the film is more famous for. It's a surprise to me, but it is far from the final time this list surprised me with the final positions of songs. 

It's not only the most beautiful song in the movie it's the most emotional and the one that does the most heavy lifting in therms of story.  It's a song not only about Austria and a world that will be lost under Hitler but a man reconnecting with his children through music that was lost when their mother died and it's what kicks the love story into high gear.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

23rd - 76 points (6 votes, 3 top 10)

America - West Side Story

This film must be in the conversation for having the best known songs among people that have not seen the film in question. It's probably between this and SOund of Music, where songs just feel like they were famous in the greater world and not spawned from a movie musical.

This is the top ranked West Side Story song and the topic of the song could be more relevant now than it was during the time period of the film. Songs like this are what make a modern era Spielberg remake actually have potential (could still be horrible though of course). It's one of the most memorable films songs in musical history.

• Like 8

We are going black and white people!

22nd (5 votes, 1 1st place, 1 top 10)

As Time Goes By - Casablanca

Finally Casablanca hits the list. This song is so in tune with this film that it can be easy to think that this song was written with the film in mind.

The placement of the song as something that once meant so much to the characters, but then becomes a reminder of past pains is done so well and considering every aspect of this film is perfect, it thus makes sense that the song usage is perfect too. It is also just a lovely song in its own right which helps a lot.

• Like 9

21st - 80 points (7 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Eye of the Tiger - Rocky 3

Okay, so this is where we mention the one song to receive votes, but me disqualified from the list. Gonna Fly now may technically have a sung line, but overall it was decided that it qualified as movie music and not a movie song. As things stand with cut votes, Gonna Fly Now would have placed 95th place, but this would not be the real position if it was widely accepted as a movie song - I know me and Baumer alone may have added over 30 points to Gonna Fly Now's total which would bump it to 35th or so just from those two changes.

Eye of the tiger of course has none of these problems. It is by far the best Rocky song even though, Gonna Fly now is the best Rocky score/music. It's a great montage song and it is almost as connected to Rocky as the main theme. Also Rocky 3 is the 4th best Rocky film so it has that going for it too.  

• Like 6

20th - 84 points (6 votes, 2 top 10)

Lose Yourself - 8 Mile

The second of the 4 films that at song point were top of the this list. Lose yourself was an early contender in this list. It received strong votes early and even cracked the number one spot about 6 list into proceedings. It is the top scoring rap song on the list, and comes from a really good and underrated Eminem vehicle that was so much better than many of us thought it would be.

It's a great piece of rap that works both in the film and as a stand along song too. It is a great addition to the upper echelons of the list.

• Like 8

3 live action classics are now followed by three animated classics...

19th - 85 points (6 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Be Our Guest - Beauty And the Beast

So BATB returns to the list with that films version of Under The Sea. It's Disney fun at its best and one of those songs that you remember from the first time you see it. It was also a really good way of introducing characters and giving exposition in a fun and seemless way. It's just Disney, when Disney was becoming the best it had ever been.

• Like 10

Are you ready to have a song stuck in your head for the next 20 years.

18th - 85 points (7 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

oh wait...

I'll Make a Man Out of You - Mulan

There are four Disney films out there that I put in my top 10 ever that I think very few others do. I have Robin Hood at 9, Hunchback at 8, Emperor's New Groove at 6 and Mulan at 4th.

Mulan was the strong female protagonist that Disney animations never had, 20 years before Frozen did it. It's such a great film based on heroism and courage that includes song great songs including this: the best Disney montage song ever (and for me 3rd only behind I wanna be like you and Hellfire). It's a song you will be humming for the next 4 weeks without respite and is the penultimate Disney song on this list not to come from a film already revealed on the list.

Oh and one of the few cures for getting this song out of your head, is replacing it with the song in 17th :) 

• Like 6