chasmmi

The Super Duper Official BOT Top Movie Songs Countdown!

"We Have All the Time in the World" works for me because Louis Armstrong has always felt so melancholy even when what he is singing of positive things. It works as a bond theme, but also as a theme for the movie, which I'd argue that there are better more recognizable bond themes, none match as well to the film as a whole and certainly none with the emotional weight.

Why yes, I am the one who voted that #1. :D

• Like 1

What I'm getting from this is that still not nearly enough people have seen Walk Hard. Beautiful Ride is goddamn amazing, especially, of course, in context, because it's so hilarious and so genuinely moving at the same time. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

What I'm getting from this is that still not nearly enough people have seen Walk Hard. Beautiful Ride is goddamn amazing, especially, of course, in context, because it's so hilarious and so genuinely moving at the same time. 

I've never seen the film, but the impression I got from the youtube clip was that it seems like a pretty rousing end to a film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xequalsy said:

Awesome start!

150 -

I quite like "Spoonful of Sugar", but couldn't quite vote for it since I tried to keep it to songs that enhanced the scene in question (hard to judge for a musical in particular). If I could have voted again, I think I might have included this and a few other Mary Poppins songs.

I definitely agree "Poor Unfortunate Souls" is one of the better villain songs, but The Little Mermaid in particular is tough to include more from since so many of their other numbers are so iconic.

149 -

I really love the song, but really can't say I remember it having added to the film in any way (I seem to remember it was the ending credits track?). In my opinion, "Misty Mountains" is more memorable and impactful.

146-148 -

Think I probably put this song into the top 150 by voting for it in my top 15. I love Tangled and this just edges out "I See The Light" for me.

Never seen Walk Hard, but this is a pretty good song. Can't say I've heard of The Last Dragon either, but the song is pretty upbeat. 

143-145 -

My age probably shows, haven't seen this film either. I don't really manage to catch many older films unless they were on Film 4 (which seems to love to show black and white thrillers in the afternoon). 

I quite like all the classic Disney animations. Think this is probably the best out of the princess looking for a prince ones they did. But maybe that's just because I like the dwarves better than the animal companions in Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty. 

Not a huge fan of the Bourne series (they blurred a bit into each other), but I definitely remember this song from them. 

Whoops, this accidentally got really long.

Go ahead, be as long as you wish :) What the lists are here for

• Like 2

I'd have preferred the Disney version but...

=134th - 25 points ( 3 votes, 1 top 10 place)

Everything I do, I Do it For You - Robin Hood Prince of Theives

Talk about a song that became a beast unto its own. I don't know about you folks across the pond, but in ol' Blighty this song was number 1 for 16 straight weeks, which is still (and will always be) a record. The song was everywhere.

People sometimes joke that the success was because people thought Costner was actually singing the song, not Adams. THis song was essentially the precursor to My Heart will go on, as a power ballad that was worked around the general score of the film and thus felt both like a standalone pop song and an integral part of the film. Very few songs create such an instant connection to a film as this one.  

• Like 5

Guess what's back?

133rd - 25 points ( 4 votes)

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes - Cinderella

Another from Classic Disney, I think we all have to accept I am going to be writing a lot of Disney song reviews the next few days :) (Which I am okay with, I am one of the folks to blame).

Cindy is part of the original princess trilogy with Snowy and Shiny and I would put forward has the best songs out of the three also. The people here seem to tentatively agree too as this is the highest ranked song from any of the three films on this list (Sleeping Beauty's best effort was Once Upon a Dream at 200). I suppose that means if anything else is going to come from classic pre-renaissance Disney, we are (mostly) relying on singing animals.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Free State of Tele said:

"Der alte Dessauer" from ENEMY BELOW will show up soon, right? RIGHT?!!

:( 

If it does I expect you to start chanting:

Soiuz nerushimyj respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki Velikaia Rus.
Da zdravstvuet sozdannyj volej narodov
Edinyj, moguchij Sovetskij Soiuz!

• Like 2

Time for me to pretend I know the songs again...

=131st - 26 points ( 2 votes)

Cat People Putting Out Fires - Inglorious Basterds

Hurdy Gurdy Man - Zodiac

Well that's quite the intense one-two punch, both these songs create atmosphere, fit the mood of the scene they inhabit and work to elevate the material in the way that a good soundtrack should. Fincher and Tarantino really know how to use music to enhance their scenes and thus we maybe should not be surprised if they turn up again. :)

I would like to add more at this point, but doing so would put me at risk of accidentally admitting that I have seen neither of these films... oh wait... oh arse!!!

• Like 6

130th - 26 points ( 3 votes)

Scotty Doesn't Know - Eurotrip

So you are making a comedy that is one false step away from DTV oblivion and you discover that your soundtrack is being done by Sum 41? Disaster in the making right? Wrong.

THIS! THIS RIGHT HERE IS HOW YOU USE A SONG TO MAKE A SCENE.

How they got Damon to do this I do not know, but this was the exact moment that it becomes clear that Eurotrip is actually going to be a damn good comedy and not just another horrible lazy teen sex romp thing that wants to be American Pie. This is the funniest song on the list so far for me and a great example of mixing song and film to memorable effect.

• Like 6

Another Double header...

128th - 27 points ( 3 votes)

Time in a Bottle - XMen DOFP

Make 'Em Laugh - Singing in the Rain

Well these two are chalk and cheese aren't they. The first is one of the best uses of music in a CGI heavy scene ever, the second in slap bang in classic musical territory. Time in a bottle was the stand out scene of DOFP and pretty much screwed any hope for Quicksilver in Age of Ultron. It was such an unexpected, yet thematically brilliant little scene which Singer tried to recreate in Apocalypse. Even though Side my Side I could give the edge to Sweet Dreams as a scene to itself, when thinking about its place in the movie, Time in a Bottle will not be topped by any XMen yet to come.

Singing in the rain is one of those films I had to sit through when I was too young to do anything other than hate having to sit through some stupid old musical that my parents insisted was a classic. It's a shame because the musical numbers are some of the best in cinema and well... has there been a better song and dance man on screen? I don't think it's a spoiler to say that this film will return...

• Like 10

127th - 27 points (3 votes, 1 top 10)

Pure Imagination - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

I loved this film as a kid. It didn't matter that it deviated from the source material, it was just such a magical experience on screen and Gene Wilder really brought out an enthralling character in his portrayal of Mr Wonka. It's magical and this song revels in that sense of ... well pure imagination which this film and story are borne out of.  

• Like 9

Great start so far. I think like 80% of these were on my list, too bad nobody appreciates About Today as much as I do. it may not be my favorite song ever but the way it elevates the scene in Warrior is outstanding and one of the most emotional endings to a film ever. but thanks for stretching it to a top 150, so I could see it get a shout out. :)

Too bad Classic Disney era films are so low, thought for sure that Once Upon a Dream would make it at least.

Everything I do is an awesome, I just forgot about it being in Robin Hood. 

also Help! isn't showing up for me, says I can't play it in my country - also love that song, just never saw the movie. 

And is You'll be in My Heart the only Tarzan song to make the top 150?  :unsure:

• Like 2

126th - 28 points (2 votes, 1 top 10)

I will wait for you - Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Oh it's that song from Futurama!!! The really sad one from that episode with the dog... am not going to cry.

Ok, sadly my knowledge of 1960's French musicals is not what it should be, but this is a lovely song and I could feel that there was emotion in the scene. I wish I could add more other than we should all collectively go and check out French Musical Cinema - worse case scenario - there's probably still going to be breasts to look at.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

That's a great description of the whole movie. I fucking love Walk Hard. 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

=124th 28 points (2 votes, 1 top 5)

Somewhere out There - American Tale

Now We Are Free - Gladiator

Oh American Tale, god bless the 80's when filmmakers were prepared to fuck with the minds of children everywhere. There was Neverending Story with it's dying horses and nothingness, Return to Oz with its special brand of horror even Wes Craven would shy away from and then Don Bleuth - Oh Don! how you tormented me as a child. Admittedly it was N.I.M.H that gave me the nightmares, but this was the film that toyed with my heart only to rip it out over and over again for 80 minutes. This song was part of the catalyst of that pain, that feeling that this film surely would have a happy ending nomatter how much it consistently felt like they weren't going to give me one. But hey it's a rare thing for the list: non-Disney animated singing.

Gladiator is a film I have stated my dislike for in the past and so I am not the best person to comment here. But its a good song and again does the job of a good film song of creating atmosphere and mood. And It's hard to bet against Zimmer.

• Like 8

123rd - 28 points (3 votes)

Up There - South Park - Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Two non-Disney animations in a row! This time it is the Godly (or should that be Devilish) Up There. I am unashamedly in love with this song and film. Parker and Stone are among the best musical writers of their generation and this song blends comedy with musical prowess so well whilst furthering the plot of the film and creating something we will all remember.

It remains to be seen how much more Parker and Stone you can expect from this list.

• Like 7