chasmmi

The Super Duper Official BOT Top Movie Songs Countdown!

On 6/26/2016 at 9:45 AM, Free State of Tele said:

Dammit, I should've put this one in mine too. 

Tele actually saw Book of Life??? How did I miss this, I was championing it for awhile back in 2014 but I thought none of the mods had seen it. I hope you and Tele Jr. loved it :D 

Also, good job with this list Chas. I couldn't make a ballot because there was just too many to even think of to make a list. It'll be a fun read though!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

I'll also say this: Starman scene in The Martian is the one part of that movie that is truly great. Everything else is good to okay, but that scene is just stellar (no pun intended).

Bowie. His power.

Gonna get a few in before work (couldn't do it yesterday as I was exhausted from watching football till 6am :( )

100th - 33 points (2 votes, 1 top 5)

When You Believe - The Prince of Egypt

Ah, back when DreamWorks was still doing musicals. I was personally a bigger fan of Road to Eldorado but PRince of Egypt was kind of an underrated classic of its time and had a few memorable songs. In total 4 songs were voted for my members of this site and there are some merit to those choices,

sadly the best one received no love :( :

• Like 7

Back to double bills...

=98th - 34 points (2 votes, 1 top 5)

Hearts on Fire - Rocky 4

California Dreamin' - Chungking Express

Well we have that rare thing on this list, a non-English language film (although luckily there was no more language learning for me to do, song wise). California Dreaming is a great song, one of my favourites. I always like a song that sounds uplifting but the lyrics suggest otherwise, it's a great combo to me. The scene above is quite nice too, and something that I could see a person doing with a song like California Dreaming.

Hearts on Fire is pure Rocky Montage glory. It's not the best Rocky montage in my book but it's still a ROCKY montage and thus one of the best montages ever. Sly will be back.  

• Like 9

97th - 34 points (3 votes)

Everbody Needs Somebody - The Blues Brothers

Well I am happy to see Blues brothers make the list. This is their only entry but it is a good'un.  Jailhouse Rock and Think also hit the wider list at 422nd and 614th respectively. Blues Brothers comes from a time when Dan Akroyd was a big thing in movies and was worth the time to double check how to spell his surname. Now he may appear again later in another film on this list, but for now we can just enjoy the original Men in Black.

• Like 10

96th - 34 points (4 votes)

Unchained Melody - Ghost

I will let you in on a little secret: Ghost was the first film ever to completely terrify me. When those demons drag people back to hell, it gave me nightmares. Anyway, Unchained Melody is a great song and you have got to allow it its place on the list. I would argue it should be a little higher but its still deserving none the less.

Anyhow, the clay industry should thank the righteous brothers for a boom in sales.  

• Like 10

Hearts on Fire from Rocky IV is pure awesomeness.  Glad it made the list and Unchained Melody is another really good one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Bowie. His power.

Hey Gittes just wanted to tell you that I like your username.

Chinatown is one of my favorite movie off all time and is the best present Polanski could make to the Noir genra.

I wish they would make more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RascarCapat said:

Hey Gittes just wanted to tell you that I like your username.

Chinatown is one of my favorite movie off all time and is the best present Polanski could make to the Noir genra.

I wish they would make more.

Thanks! You're all right in my book. ;) And yeah, they make some good smaller neo-noirs these days, but I'd love to see another well-made serious big production.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Gonna get a few in before work (couldn't do it yesterday as I was exhausted from watching football till 6am :( )

100th - 33 points (2 votes, 1 top 5)

When You Believe - The Prince of Egypt

Ah, back when DreamWorks was still doing musicals. I was personally a bigger fan of Road to Eldorado but PRince of Egypt was kind of an underrated classic of its time and had a few memorable songs. In total 4 songs were voted for my members of this site and there are some merit to those choices,

sadly the best one received no love :( :

Yes! it made the top 100. if just barely. 

17 hours ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Tele actually saw Book of Life??? How did I miss this, I was championing it for awhile back in 2014 but I thought none of the mods had seen it. I hope you and Tele Jr. loved it :D 

Yeah, I'd be interested in that opinion also. (Until it turns out to be @great song amidst a drab and rubbish animation :( )

95th - 34 points (5 votes)

Every Sperm is Sacred - Monty Python's Meaning of Life

This sometimes forgotten third cinematic outing by the python crew is sometimes unfairly criticised in the wake of what preceded it. However, I'd wager that some of the finest moments from Python can be found within this film (Wafer thin mints, sex-ed class and Galaxy song to name but three).

However the story I love about this film is how after a second smash hit film, a studio was finally brave enough to give the pythons an actual budget for their films. Then the different comedic groups did some brainstorming and Palin and Idle effectively managed to persuade them to blow pretty much the entire budget on the opening song.  I don't know how accurate that story is but I love the idea of a film going all out just for a song.  

And what a song, it is so well crafted, hilarious and has some wonderful choreography, its a classic of musical cinema.  

• Like 10