chasmmi

The Super Duper Official BOT Top Movie Songs Countdown!

And I shall leave this list for today with my own personal breakdown of the top 69:

Happy with their Placement - 34

Unhappy Because too Low - 8

Unhappy because too High - 8

Unhappy Because it is on the list at all -2

Unhappy it is on the list but accept that it is a classic movie song and thus should be on the list -  5

Unfamiliar with the song/movie/both - 12

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Pandaren said:

I do not find your hatred toward the Sound of Music amusing.

Glad Pan's Labyrinth snuck on here.

Yeah, Sound of Music is a classic. my favorite classic era Musical actually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

Yeah, Sound of Music is a classic. my favorite classic era Musical actually.

Theres a lot of good ones and it's one of my favorites.  Golden aged musicals are a very underrated genre on this forum.

• Like 2

Time of my Life at 76?  WTF people?  You can like or dislike Dirty Dancing, but Time of My Life is one of the most suitable and apropos movie songs of all time.  I also took my girlfriends virginity to that song, so you know, show some respect. :)

Really surprised Lion King is so low.

When Doves Cry is a terrific song and a good entry

Take My Breath Away is still one of the best ballads of all time.  Should have been much much higher.

Chicago the movie has no business on this list anywhere.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is a great moment in Mary Poppins, glad to see it on the list.

• Like 2

69th - 45 points (2 votes, 1 1st place, 1 top 10)

Feed the Birds - Mary Poppins

I'm pretty certain that Julie Andrews will appear on this list more than any other person, partly because she appears in multiple musicals and partly because when a musical has Julie Andrews she seems to be duty bound to sing every song on the soundtrack. (I haven't counted so there may be another out there who appears more.

This is a lovely song that is strongly loved by 2 voters (the final time a vote will be on this list with just two votes). I will say though (and I haven't seen Mary Poppins in about 17 years), that it always felt like the 'we needed one more song' song. It's just lacks a little something compared to some of the other Poppins songs in my book but of course folks are free to disagree.

It is very nicely sung regardless of the fact.

• Like 9

(I should add that 60-69th is a collection of super famous classics from multiple genres... and something that Baumer just really really likes :)

68th - 45 points (4 votes, 1 top 10)

I see The Light - Tangled

I'll say it, release tangled today and this makes Zootopia numbers (not Frozen, but it does a billion.) It's a great Disney musical that was the first to start breaking the princess tropes that Frozen gets a lot of credit for.

This is the final time that we see Tangled on this list and maybe that is about right, (although I do love that opening song). Well done Tangled.

• Like 8

67th - 45 points (4 votes, 1 top 5)

We'll Meet Again - Dr Strangelove

There, I've gone out on a limb and spoiled the ending to a 52 year old film. I admit it is a film I never saw, but if you asked me to name stuff about the film the two things I could tell you in seconds are a comment about fighting in the war room and the guy riding the nuke. It's a classic cinema moment, but not one I can claim to have much to say about.

• Like 12

66th - 45 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

Time Warp - Rocky Horror

Talk about a cult classic, I am happy to see this make the list (for a long time it was looking like it would miss until a late surge brought it storming into the top 70. It's a mad, exciting song that is full of energy and of course a club classic. You have got to love it.

• Like 11

65th - 46 points (4 votes)

Under The Sea - The Little Mermaid

Am I the only one who, when they first saw the Little Mermaid as an adult many years after last seeing it as a kid, suddenly realised that in the scene where she gets her legs, she is naked except for the seashells!

As for this song, it is one of the big Disney Musicals making its second appearance (the question now being will the film end with 2, 3 or 4 songs on the list?). We are also at that awkward point where it is easy to scream that a song is two low whilst at the same time quickly running out of higher positions for it to fill.

Even so, I still think this is a little low.  

• Like 10

All very worthy additions to the list.

I can't say I love Feed the Birds, but it is certainly very moving.

Dr Strangelove is a film I only saw last year, but moments from it definitely still stick with me still (the crazy army officer for one!). But the ending is such a classic moment. 

Can't believe I forgot Rocky Horror!!

Little Mermaid is a bit low imo, should have cracked top50.

• Like 1

64th - 46 points (5 votes, 1 top 10)

America Fuck Yeah! - Team America

So we've had South Park, now we get Team America and more obscenity laden greatness. I've already said that Parker and Stone are geniussessesss, geniui? Geniyae, Geniese?

Parker and Stone are clever dudes and they made the best puppet film not called Muppet Christmas Carol (which got no votes :( ). It's such a fun ride this film while also having a message to send and I am so happy that this song made the cut.

• Like 5

63rd - 47 points ( 3 votes, 2 top 5)

Tomorrow Belongs To Me - Caberet

Caberet is one of those films I have heard of and (like many of the older songs on this list) have not seen. This was close to being the second instalment on this list for the film as Wilkommen came in at 163rd. Watching the video, I assume that the context of this scene is what got this song onto peoples lists.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

(I should add that 60-69th is a collection of super famous classics from multiple genres... and something that Baumer just really really likes :)

68th - 45 points (4 votes, 1 top 10)

I see The Light - Tangled

I'll say it, release tangled today and this makes Zootopia numbers (not Frozen, but it does a billion.) It's a great Disney musical that was the first to start breaking the princess tropes that Frozen gets a lot of credit for.

This is the final time that we see Tangled on this list and maybe that is about right, (although I do love that opening song). Well done Tangled.

Tangled is so stinking underated. it's still my favorite animated film of this century, and I see the Light is the most beautiful scene I have probably seen ever in an animated film. Still too low of ranking imo, but I'm glad it's getting some love.

• Like 2

62nd - 47 points (4 votes, 1 1st place)

If You Leave - Pretty in Pink

This song was championed by a prominent forum member whose anonymity I shall respect in order to let him write more books and articles while hating all things Pixar in peace :) 

This is a fun 80s song from a film I have not even heard of let alone seen. It got some support outside of that number one vote to get it into the list though and that would imply there is love for the song and movie out there.  

• Like 8

61st - 47 points (5 votes)

You've got A Friend In Me - Toy Story

The Toy Story franchise was the only things stopping this from being a Pixar free list (all the way down to the very bottom I believe). I am really hoping that Coco changes all that though.

This is a standout song from the animators though. It sets up the relationship between a boy and his toys so well and hammers home that theme of friendship these films champion. I can't argue against it being here (I voted for it myself).

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

This is a fun 80s song from a film I have not even heard of let alone seen

You haven't even heard of Pretty in Pink? it's like a definitive 1980s film. 

• Like 1

60th - 48 points

Falling Slowly - Once

Well isn't that a lovely song. It is a really heartfelt performance and rendition that is so close and personal . It did surprise me when I saw this getting a lot of early votes (it was in the top 20 for a while), but upon listening and watching I can understand people really getting behind this song. It's just... well nice.

• Like 5