kayumanggi

DESPICABLE ME III | 770.2 M overseas ● 1034.8 M worldwide

$21.3m global gross yesterday weekend added from last weekend global gross. Last last week was $23m. So next weekend it should be $17m totaling in $1.010b.

$1.060b - $1.070b WW is my guess.

Edited by Asyulus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Omni said:

Lower than that. Summer dailies are starting to fade, there won't be any new opener or any LD boost in north America.

I would change my guess to $1.006b by next week. This year, 4-5 films will be on bilion dollar mark.

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

They won't be out until around 15 hours later because all studios are on Labor Day break so actuals will be reported late for all films.

What percentage is the drop of Worldwide gross by last last week to Worldwide gross by last week?

Edited by Asyulus

2 minutes ago, Asyulus said:

What percentage is the drop of Worldwide gross by last last week to Worldwide gross by last week?

Last week was a $23m Worldwide week (from 949.5 to 972.5)

This week the estimate is $21.5m Worldwide week (from 972.5 to 993.9).

This is a -6% drop week on week (boosted by holidays and Italy of course)

However the actuals may change so let's wait for those. 

Here’s my analysis this week after actuals are in.

In the past 2 weeks, DM3 has continued to narrow the gap with Minions OS.

It is now only 1.8% behind Minions at the exact point in release, in the same markets and without even factoring in ER which was in Minions’ favor.

Overseas Results:

Minions: $751.25 million OS so far 

(in exact same point of release as DM3 is now. This figure is in 2015 exchange rate and not adjusted to 2017 ER. It includes the grosses of its first 10 days in Italy and Turkey + OW in Greece.)

DM3$738.4 million OS so far (2% below Minions OS total at the same point in run)

(latest figure after studio actuals came in today. This figure in exact same point of release as Minions. Figures are in 2017 ER and not adjusted to match 2015 ER of Minions)

*Above grosses calculated as per numbers available on Box Office Mojo.

Mathematically most likely case based on DM3 vs Minions comps: Using Peludo’s 779m adjusted total for Minions, DM3 can then end up with 98% x 779 = 765m OS. Combined with around 262 domestic, that gives us: 262 + 765 = 1,027 Billion WW.

Worst case: if the film drops 50% week-on-week every week from now on, it gets to 1,015 Billion WW.

Realistic case: So far, the film has been dropping around 40% drop on average every week. If it keeps this pace, this gives it around 1,024 Billion WW.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

DM3 Actuals are in - my analysis coming up now.

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic:  $258,789,675    26.0%
Foreign:  $738,404,341    74.0%

= Worldwide:  $997,194,016  

3 million increase???

LMAO. Zootopia and Dory are going down.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

3 million increase???

LMAO. Zootopia and Dory are going down easily.

Yes I think it will end at 1.025-1.03B when all is said and done, so there's a chance it surpasses them.

Kudos to @Omniwho was the first to predict a 1.032B for DM3 as a possible result. At that time my maths analysis was indicating around 1.010B and not more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SCREEN

Actuals breakdown. DM3 had a -22% drop from last weekend excluding the Greece opening. With the Greece opening it's a -17% drop from last weekend.

UPDATED: Illumination’s Despicable Me 3 had its final theatrical release over the weekend in Greece, where it debuted at number one on $619,000. The animated tentpole added $10.9m over the weekend from 60 territories for $738.4m. With $258.8m from North America, the film stands at $997.2m worldwide, and will likely reach the $1bn milestone later this week.

The film was number one in Italy for the second week in a row on $4.3m for $13.5m. Japan produced $1.5m for $60.5m, enough for second place in week seven. China remains the top market by a high margin on $152.3m, followed by the UK on $60m, Germany $41.3m, France $39.8m, Brazil $38.8m and Mexico $34.8m.

It's official! DM3 has surprassed 1 BILLION DOLLARS WORLDWIDE! Incredible run.

Sixth animated film in history, 2nd film in the Despicable Me franchise and second non Disney/Pixar film to achieve this after Illumination's Minions!

DEADLINE

‘Despicable Me 3’ Grooves Past $1 Billion At Worldwide Box Office

Illumination/Universal’s Despicable Me 3 has made the Gru-vy leap past the $1B worldwide box office mark. With Thursday’s grosses, the Kyle Balda/Pierre Coffin-helmed pic has taken $741.4M at the international box office and $259.05Mdomestically. This is the second Universal title to cross the threshold this year after The Fate of the Furious, and the third of 2017, which is led by Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.

What’s more, DM3 is the only movie released during the summer period (Memorial Day-Labor Day) to cross $1B this year. Similarly, in 2016 only one title released in the corridor cracked $1B global, Disney/Pixar’s Finding Dory. In 2015, there were two titles: Jurassic World and Minions — both from Universal.

In early August, DM3 propelled the series of four films (including Minions) to become the top-grossing animated franchise ever worldwide. It passed the Shrekstable of five pics (including Puss In Boots) to snatch the crown.

Also last month, the series passed the Ice Age franchise to become the highest-grossing animated franchise of all time at the international box office.

The eight releases from Chris Meledandri’s hit factory Illumination — Despicable Me, Hop, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, Despicable Me 2, Minions, The Secret Life Of Pets, Singand Despicable Me 3 — have grossed more than $5.7B worldwide.

DM3 is the animation studio’s second film to gross more than $1B and marks the first time an animated franchise has had two movies both cross that line. Universal points out DM3 is also Illumination’s third title to gross more than $900M, another feat that no other animation studio has ever accomplished.

Here are some more stats on DM3: It is now the sixth-highest-grossing animated film of all time worldwide, and the third-highest-grossing animated film ever internationally, behind only Frozen and Minions. At the global box office, the Steve Carrel/Kristen Wiig-voiced pic is the top animated film of 2017, and the third-highest-grossing film of any genre this year.

When it bowed in June, DM3 had the biggest opening day and weekend of all time for an animated film in China; and was No. 1 in North America and 62 international territories. It is the top animated title of all time in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Egypt and Venezuela.

Says Meledandri, “The enduring success of Despicable Me and Minions is a testament to the extraordinary talent of the team at Illumination and Illumination Mac Guff combined with the world’s greatest studio, Universal. Our passion for creating memorable experiences is on display in Despicable Me 3, and we thank fans for taking this chapter to a billion-dollar milestone.”

Adds Duncan Clark, President of Distribution, Universal Pictures International, “What Chris and his team at Illumination have been able to do with this franchise has been nothing short of amazing. Despicable Me has permeated deep into all cultures internationally, and these movies have become a destination for family audiences of all ages everywhere. That is a remarkable achievement by any standard.”

Next on Illumination’s slate is Dr Seuss’ The Grinch with Benedict Cumberbatch voicing the titular character. It’s slated for release in November 2018. After that, The Secret Life Of Pets 2 pads in for June 2019 followed by Minions 2 in July 2020 and Sing 2 in December 2020.

Congrats! @Asyulus@FantasticBeasts@Stutterng baumer Denbrough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FORBES ANALYSIS

Box Office: 'Despicable Me 3' Is Summer's First And Last $1 Billion Hit

Is it still summer yet? I mean, I know It came out last night, but technically Spider-Man: Homecoming opened in China. I ask because right at the last minute, the 2017 summer movie season got its first $1 billion+ grosser. Illumination’s Despicable Me 3 has officially crossed the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office. The Universal/Comcast Corp. release has been the biggest movie of the summer for a while now, and as of today it’s the third 2017 release to top the once-fabled but now almost arbitrary milestone.

Well, it’s still pretty fabled if you’re not a Walt Disney or Universal/Comcast Corp. movie. The last non Disney/Universal release to pull it off was Paramount/Viacom Inc.’s Transformers: Age of Extinction in 2014, which was that year’s only $1 billion+ grosser. Since then, the newbies from 2015 to 2017 have been Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Jurassic World, Minions, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Zootopia, Captain America: Civil War, Finding Dory, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Beauty and the Beast, Fate of the Furious and Despicable Me 3.

And yeah, the year will likely close out with one more thanks to Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Five of those have been Universal titles while seven (or eight counting The Last Jedi) came from Walt Disney. Unless Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. pulls out a miracle with Justice League, it looks like the $1 billion+ club will remain the exclusive habitat for Disney and Universal for the near future. But unlike all of Disney’s mega-hits and most of Universal’s biggies, the Illumination films are nowhere near the $150-$200m budgetary benchmark.

Despicable Me 3, which cost a whopping $80 million to produce, has earned $741.3m overseas, becoming the third-biggest overseas animated grosser ever behind Frozen and Minions. It is the sixth-biggest animated film ever worldwide, behind Toy Story 3, Zootopia, Finding Dory, Minions and Frozen. This makes the franchise the animated theatrical series to have two $1b+ earners, and three out of four of the films have topped $950m worldwide thus far. At least in terms of domestic and worldwide box office, Illumination is absolutely on the same plane as Pixar and Walt Disney Animation.

And yeah, Despicable Me 3 made $259 million in North America, or over $100m less than Despicable Me 2 in 2013. But A) $80m budget and B) the trilogy has essentially played out like Pirates of the Caribbean. In both cases, the second installment ($368m domestic/$970m worldwide for Despicable Me 2 and $423m/$1 billion for Pirates 2) broke out thanks to a well-liked/buzzy original ($256m/$555m and $303m/$654m). But the third chapter ($258m/$1b and $303m/$963m) came back to down the still impressive domestic total of the first film while overseas figures made up the difference for a still sky-high global total.

The good news is that this means that Despicable Me 4 will be another huge global hit even if it drops big in North America. The bad news is that, should this pattern hold, Despicable Me 4 will be one of the worst major theatrical releases of the last 10-15 years. Jokes aside, the series is the biggest animated series of all time worldwide (sorry, Shrek) and the biggest overseas as well (take that, Ice Age). The Illumination films, which include four outright originals, have earned $5.7 billion worldwide thus far.

I’ve said before that big-scale animation remains one of the last safe places for original theatrical content above a certain budget, and I still maintain as much even after a summer where Despicable Me 3 was the only hit toon. When Illumination can make a pop culture juggernaut out of whole cloth, that means something no matter how much you like or don’t like each individual movie. And now Despicable Me 3, not Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 or Spider-Man: Homecoming or Wonder Woman, is the summer’s biggest global grosser.

Come what may, that’s kind of bananas.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

Major records broken by the Despicable Me Franchise:

1. Highest grossing animated franchise of ALL TIME worldwide

2. Highest grossing animated franchise of ALL TIME overseas

3. ONLY animated franchise in history to have 2 movies over a billion worldwide each

4. ONLY animated franchise in history to have 3 movies over $950 million worldwide each

5. ONLY animated franchise with 3 films in the top 10 highest grossing animated films WW list

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

We can also say that the Despicable Me Franchise is the Fast and Furious of animated franchises.

Both 2015 and 2017 sequels of both franchises grossed 1B each.

Both 2015 and 2017 sequels of both franchises saw great retention OS from their predecessors.

DM3 - 741m OS so far versus 830m OS for Minions (a 90% Retention)

FF8 - 1.09 B OS versus 1.16B OS for FF7 (a 93% retention)

Both 2017 sequels saw decline DOM but incredible OS runs.

And of course both are from Universal with upcoming installments in 2019/2020

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

SCREEN

Illumination’s Despicable Me 3 added $6.2m from 50 territories for a total of $746.9m.  Despicable Me 3 is the third-highest-grossing animated film of all time internationally behind Frozen’s$876m and Minions’ $831m. Combined with North America’s $260m, the worldwide total is $1.007bn. Despicable Me 3 is the top grossing animated film worldwide this year. The animation  grossed $2.5m in Italy for a total of $17.3m. In its eighth week in Japan, Despicable Me 3 is holding at number two on $826,000 for $61.7m. China stands at $152.3m, the UK $60.6m, Germany $42m, France $40.2m, and Brazil $38.9m.

• Like 1