CJohn

Ralph Breaks the Internet | Rich Moore / Phil Johnston | 21st November, 2018

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

That’s a big increase for the 5 day, especially since the OW for Ralph 1 was $48M.

WIR's 5-day Fri-Tue was 57 and would have been 60-65 with a conventional Wed-Sun 5-day imo. Yeah 110 seems too optimistic but 90-100 is possible and a 55% bump (like GOTG2 managed) from 60-65. 90-100 5-day and 2.7-2.8x gives 240-280 dom.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Awful lot of unnecessary work too when you have the ability to use the real thing. They can devote that "creativity" to the characters and story instead. 

But if the point is to parody the Internet (which is the vibe I got from the teaser), why not go for that instead of straight up slapping brands that could easily capture attentions in a "ohhhh look Johnny, it's YOUTUBE! CAPITALISM!!! Oh yeah, there's a movie going on...."? It would be funnier and not as distracting.

Though my personal problem with this isn't even as much the product placement itself, but rather the way that it is used. In this sense, I disagree with @Jandrew about quality being irrelevant, because if, say, the movie gives itself a great plot excuse to go to the Disney website and the scene is much more of a parody of Disney than just a self-masturbation to literally every asset they have, nobody will care that it's an ad for a bunch of products. As long as you have a good out, which is usually quality related (ask Emoji.... lacked quality or creativity in the way that it went about with its product placement, contrary to, say, Lego Movie which did it well, and it got ripped apart), you're out of trouble(ish).

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

But if the point is to parody the Internet (which is the vibe I got from the teaser), why not go for that instead of straight up slapping brands that could easily capture attentions in a "ohhhh look Johnny, it's YOUTUBE!" type way, which is what Emoji did? It would be funnier and not as distracting.

Though my personal problem with this isn't even as much the product placement itself, but rather the way that it is used. In this sense, I disagree with @Jandrew about quality being irrelevant, because if, say, the movie gives itself a great plot excuse to go to the Disney website and the scene is much more of a parody of Disney than just a self-masturbation to literally every asset they have, nobody will care that it's an ad for a bunch of products. As long as you have a good out, which is usually quality related (ask Emoji.... lacked quality or creativity in the way that it went about with its product placement, contrary to, say, Lego Movie which did it well, and it got ripped apart), you're out of trouble(ish).

It's WDAS. It's established WDAS talent. Again, they're not going to make the Emoji Movie. Of course this will be more than just boastful product placements and asset pimping for the sake of it. What they show of the princess scene already doesn't fall into that lazy category. It's obviously satire and even giving some social commentary. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's WDAS. It's established WDAS talent. Again, they're not going to make the Emoji Movie. Of course this will be more than just boastful product placements and asset pimping for the sake of it. What they show of the princess scene already doesn't fall into that lazy category. It's obviously satire and even giving some social commentary. 

Sure, but what if they do make The Emoji Movie? I believe they won't, but to say "of course it won't be" is talking with quite a huge bit of assurance. It's not like they are literally invincible. Even Pixar had to have a DUD eventually. I'd hate it if WDAS' would be Wreck-It Ralph 2 and I hope, if not believe it won't be, but yeah.

Good god, you guys are still on this? Look, no one is going to say "You're right, the product placement is actually A-OK" if they were bothered by it in the trailer. It's neither completely bad nor completely good, but is varying degrees of tolerability depending on the prevalence and context. Some of us thought it was too much in this case and I don't think anyone is going to change their minds on it at least until another trailer is released.

• Like 7

I really don't understand why everyone is shitting themselves over the marketing campaign. It was the same situation with Spider-Man: Homecoming, everyone thought it would be Iron Man 3.5 just because Sony tried to sell the movie to a wider audience. Same thing here, Disney is just trying to attract people that wouldn't necessarily see a Wreck-It-Ralph movie, but would see a movie featuring Disney princesses, Star Wars and Marvel characters. That doesn't mean all we'll get is product placement. I bet all those princesses will be there for max 10 minutes. Again, look at SM:H. It's called marketing, people, calm your tits already.

Edited by Titan Man
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jandrew said:

It’s happened @aabattery, it’s happened. The title is now “Ralph Breaks The Internet.”

Kim K. Her power.

https://lrmonline.com/news/wreck-it-ralph-2-gets-a-shorter-title/

This deal keeps getting worse and worse. If we weren’t getting Ralph Wrecks the Internet, at least we’d have fun with the long acronym RBTI:WIR2.  Now it’s just RBTI.  Boring.

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Can we expect a new trailer for the D23?

Maybe some news about the Big Hero 6 cartoon?

The D23 Expo only occurs every two years so the next one will be in 2019.

Edited by filmlover
  • Sad 1