CJohn

Ralph Breaks the Internet | Rich Moore / Phil Johnston | 21st November, 2018

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

On the other hand you have movies like Finding Dory. I have a feeling that what WDAS and Pixar are doing is taking their time and trying to make a movie that appeals to the public, and that seems to be rewarding them. A month ago, a lot of people were doubting Dory making over 300 Million.

I mean of course you don't want a rushed job. You want a quality film, but what Dory or even Toy Story 3 had going for them despite being released 10+ years after their respective predecessors is the nostalgia factor. Ralph may garner that from video game fans, but the movie itself never nearly reached the heights of those aforementioned Pixar films.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean of course you don't want a rushed job. You want a quality film, but what Dory or even Toy Story 3 had going for them despite being released 10+ years after their respective predecessors is the nostalgia factor. Ralph may garner that from video game fans, but the movie itself never nearly reached the heights of those aforementioned Pixar films.

Honestly, before the past few weeks, I didn't think that many people were nostalgic for Finding Nemo for this movie do as well as it's doing. Dory and TS3 are also well reviewed films and well liked by audiences, I don't believe nostalgia is the reason for their success. Since it's impossible for a quality product to be turned around in the height of awareness of it's predecessor for a film like this, it's better to let it take as long as it needs to make something viewed as quality, and that will bring in the GA

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

To use a video game comparison, think Nintendo and Sega.  Anyone who has been a Nintendo fan over the past 3 decades has heard the word "delay" used more than once.  However, they release new Mario and Zelda games when they feel the time is right and not before.  In contrast, Sega has become known for releasing poorly received games like Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and Sonic Boom.   I don't feel rushing a movie sequel to capitalize on a theoretical "window of opportunity" is the best approach for Disney, or any movie studio for that matter.  Sequels like Allegiant and TMNT: Out of the Shadows tried to do that, and look how those are performing.  Having a good story matters more than the release time frame, even if it takes longer than expected to make.

• Like 1

Schedule for Walt Disney Animation Studios:

November 23, 2016: Moana

March 9, 2018: Wreck-It Ralph 2

November 21, 2018: Gigantic

November 27, 2019: Frozen 2 (Predicted)

November 25, 2020: Original Movie (Box office mojo says something is scheduled here.)

November 5, 2021: Zootopia 2 (Predicted)

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

I am loving this news so much!!!!

Fun fact: the original WIR was originally scheduled for March 2013 before being pushed forward to November 2012, so this date makes sense.

Edited by Boxx93

50 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I really like what Disney/Pixar is doing : new franchises and sequels, that's the smartest thing to do. Animation will be as much profitable as Marvel and Star Wars in the next few years and I love that.

Isn't it already extremely profitable for Disney?  I mean, there was that entire "Hasbro takes away the Frozen and other Disney Princess toy rights from Mattel" news recently.  Hopefully, Disney Animation will still take risks on making original movies, because if they don't, Comcast with their Dreamworks and Illumination combination almost certainly will.  I don't want to see a non-stop sequel lineup from them.

Edited by Outrageous!
  • Like 2

Just now, Outrageous! said:

Isn't it already extremely profitable for Disney?  I mean, there was that entire "Hasbro takes away the Frozen and other Disney Princess toy rights" news recently.  Hopefully, Disney Animation will still take risks on making original movies, because if they don't, Comcast with their Dreamworks and Illumination combination almost certainly will.  I don't want to see a non-stop sequel lineup from them.

It looks like they might alternate between sequels and new ventures for the next few years.

• Like 1

Some of these sequels I'm excited for, like WiR2.  Some, I could do without (like Frozen 2).

I get why they're doing so many sequels between them and Picar, I just kind of wish they'd mostly do original work.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Pandaren said:

Some of these sequels I'm excited for, like WiR2.  Some, I could do without (like Frozen 2).

I get why they're doing so many sequels between them and Picar, I just kind of wish they'd mostly do original work.

Picard? What does Star Trek have to do with this?

Holy cow, I'm so excited and it's so soon!!! This must have been greenlit not too long after the first came out. Sneaky sneaky. This and Incredibles 2 are the only sequels I really wanted to see in the animation world. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Schedule for Walt Disney Animation Studios:

November 23, 2016: Moana

March 9, 2018: Wreck-It Ralph 2

November 21, 2018: Gigantic

November 27, 2019: Frozen 2 (Predicted)

November 25, 2020: Original Movie (Box office mojo says something is scheduled here.)

November 5, 2021: Zootopia 2 (Predicted)

2017 will feel very empty for a fan of Disney / Pixar movies like me..No WDAS movie and among Pixar products there's Cars 3 that is a franchise I don't care much about.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Isn't it already extremely profitable for Disney?  I mean, there was that entire "Hasbro takes away the Frozen and other Disney Princess toy rights from Mattel" news recently.  Hopefully, Disney Animation will still take risks on making original movies, because if they don't, Comcast with their Dreamworks and Illumination combination almost certainly will.  I don't want to see a non-stop sequel lineup from them.

Certainly very profitable.

Non-stop sequels? That's not what they do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

2017 will feel very empty for a fan of Disney / Pixar movies like me..No WDAS movie and among Pixar products there's Cars 3 that is a franchise I don't care much about.

What about Coco?

Wreck-it Ralph 2 could so amazing numbers and between it and Gigantic, Disney is basically printing money at this point.

~ 2018: Wreck-it Ralph, $225 - 275 million / $750+ million WW and Gigantic $175 - 250 million / $625+- million WW

~ 2019: Frozen 2, $450 - 500+ million / $1.3+- billion WW

I think Walt Disney Studios' first "flop" could come in the form of an original animated feature and not a sequel since all of their original animated features since Meet the Robinsons have been received very well.

Additionally, I could not be happier!  Out of all the original animated features, Wreck-it Ralph seems "sequel made!"  Frozen 2 I could do without and Big Hero 6 II I could live without.  But Wreck-it Ralph?!  This film should have already spawned its own universe!  The original film is one of the best animated features of recent times and if it were released during this day and age, I think it could do numbers that far outmatch its 2012 gross.

PS: Wreck-it Ralph was snubbed for Best Animated Feature at the Academy!  Should have won over Brave. 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 2

I am highly against Zootopia 2. WiR is one of the few WDAS movies ever that actually felt like it should have a sequel all along, and Frozen 2 was simply unavoidable. But Zootopia 2 seems highly unnecessary. The first doesn't lend well to a sequel and I'm not even convinced it's the kind of hit where a sequel would also be successful. It feels very much like a one and done and I hope WDAS cools it with the sequels. They will lose their regained seating on the throne if they focus on them over originals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am highly against Zootopia 2. WiR is one of the few WDAS movies ever that actually felt like it should have a sequel all along, and Frozen 2 was simply unavoidable. But Zootopia 2 seems highly unnecessary. The first doesn't lend well to a sequel and I'm not even convinced it's the kind of hit where a sequel would also be successful. It feels very much like a one and done and I hope WDAS cools it with the sequels. They will lose their regained seating on the throne if they focus on them over originals.

Doesn't lend itself to a sequel? I highly disagree. If anything, I think that Wreck-It Ralph is a one-shot. And it looks like they can alternate between originals and sequels, so I think it's a fair compromise.

Edited by cannastop