Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

On July 2, 2016 at 8:43 AM, ThatOneGuy said:

The only way you can for sure determine if a movie will have good legs with CinemaScore is if it gets an A+ or a C+ and below.  Even then, there are exceptions 

Even then, not really.  It goes either way.

Youre better off looking at the film's actual reception, how big the opening is, how big the fanbase is (and if they'll rush out), what the competition for the movie is, if there's holidays, what day it releases on, what genre the movie is, if the movie itself is crowd pleasing, if it got awards noms for Oscar season, etc.

Theres 99 things that play into a movies legs, and a Cinemascore ain't one.

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Tarzan was higher than expected in every day of the weekend, does this means it's getting good WOM?

It is on here from people who saw it.  Not 'wonderful' but better than expected with good points.

• Like 1

Got a bunch of snapchats of people saying "GHOSTBUSTERS!" The hype is real.

Okay, not really real... I sent one out to everyone of my ghostbusters shirt saying "who you gonna call"

100M OW confirmed.

• Like 2

These two old ladies in front of me in line were fighting because one wanted to see Dory and the other was all "It's a cartoon! I don't care how much money it made! I'm not seeing that!" 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Tarzan was higher than expected in every day of the weekend, does this means it's getting good WOM?

There are several factors to this:

1) Old people know who Tarzan is, and actually have an interest

2) Old people have children and thus they have grandchildren, and quite often take grandchildren to the movies

3) Grandchildren visit old people on holidays like July 4th

4) Old people movies = higher multipliers

5) and...maybe some good WOM, especially when the old people pick up their landlines to call each other...

Also, the BO predictions failed to see:

1) over 24 million views of its first trailer

2) almost 10 million views on a couple of 2nd trailers

3) over 100k likes of first trailer

4) women who love the hunky vampire guy from True Blood might be too old to be tracking on social media

5) women who love hunky Tarzan from back in the black-and-white days are definitely too old to be tracking on social media

6) grandchildren of women who love hunky Tarzan from back in the day didn't even know they were going to watch Tarzan this weekend until grandma took them there

7) GA didn't know this wasn't Disney and wanted to watch the Jungle Book sequel

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

CI looks like it could be headed for quite the impressive multi. Happy for it, was a really fun time (and I'm not a Hart fan at all). 

$8.5 million ($109 million)

$5 million ($119 million)

$3.5 million ($126 million)

$1.5 million ($129 million)

$1 million ($131 million)

$130-135 million DOM would be a solid run for it. 

1 hour ago, UrosepsisFace said:

There are several factors to this:

1) Old people know who Tarzan is, and actually have an interest

2) Old people have children and thus they have grandchildren, and quite often take grandchildren to the movies

3) Grandchildren visit old people on holidays like July 4th

4) Old people movies = higher multipliers

5) and...maybe some good WOM, especially when the old people pick up their landlines to call each other...

Also, the BO predictions failed to see:

1) over 24 million views of its first trailer

2) almost 10 million views on a couple of 2nd trailers

3) over 100k likes of first trailer

4) women who love the hunky vampire guy from True Blood might be too old to be tracking on social media

5) women who love hunky Tarzan from back in the black-and-white days are definitely too old to be tracking on social media

6) grandchildren of women who love hunky Tarzan from back in the day didn't even know they were going to watch Tarzan this weekend until grandma took them there

7) GA didn't know this wasn't Disney and wanted to watch the Jungle Book sequel

So, basically what you're saying is that old people did it? Gotcha.

music.jpg

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 4

Seems to be two problems in Hollywood right now

1. Studios are making the budgets of some movies way too much than they should 

2. They're starting to forget how to properly market a movie (Jurassic World and Star Wars were powerhouses last year in that department so I don't see what's going on now)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mrqe93 said:

All these talks about when people got into BO makes me feel old. 

lol you feel old..boy I started later 70's, use to put out estimates, actuals etc far back as early 90's (In fact years later BOM took over some). I should have had shares in BOM was dealing with Brandon Gray when he was at Uni and BOM was a pipe dream gave him lot info pre-post BOM starting, along with lot of the other sites.

Weekend estimates online been around since around 89-91/2 (Before WWW  through services like AOL, Compuserve), Friday estimates on Sat morning been around since at least mid 90's (public, longer for industry only)

• Like 38