somebody85

It's A Rotten Summer

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

It's actually doable.

I am on the verge of international breakthrough and it is entirely possible I have $ 50 million by the end of the decade.

And there's not a single thing in the world I'd like to invest them in more than the new MadMaxes. So we just wait.

And long live Lord Miller.

If you have 50 million by the end of the decade...

Can I have some?  I'll like all your posts and join all your clubs.  

Though...where will you the other 150m?  Ok fine, I'm probably good for it.  Teles first born should be good for 50m so that cuts down my expense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

The $100 M isn't bad and the Shallows will turn a profit, but if you add those two up, you'll end up with a WW total under Warcraft or a DOM total similar to X-Men. The highest rated wide-release movie of the summer outside of Disney has made less money than half of  Alice or Turtles. That's so depressing...

Okay but its ridiculous to think that The Conjuring or The Shallows are going to perform like your summer blockbusters. They're not made to do that. They're not released to do that either. The Shallows and The Conjuring aren't being released to every international market like your typical blockbuster. They're performing like how they're supposed to perform. So I don't know why you'd compare their box office runs to that of Warcraft, which is going to end up less than The Shallows domestically anyways, or X-men. But that's all besides the point. I was responding to your "trend" of horror films getting fresh ratings and making little money. The Shallows and The Conjuring are the only 2....I don't see that as a trend. And for how they've been released, they've had successful runs at the BO. So while they're making "little" money, they're actually doing very well with the way they were set up. Especially the Conjuring. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Okay but its ridiculous to think that The Conjuring or The Shallows are going to perform like your summer blockbusters. They're not made to do that. They're not released to do that either. The Shallows and The Conjuring aren't being released to every international market like your typical blockbuster. They're performing like how they're supposed to perform. So I don't know why you'd compare their box office runs to that of Warcraft, which is going to end up less than The Shallows domestically anyways, or X-men. But that's all besides the point. I was responding to your "trend" of horror films getting fresh ratings and making little money. The Shallows and The Conjuring are the only 2....I don't see that as a trend. And for how they've been released, they've had successful runs at the BO. So while they're making "little" money, they're actually doing very well with the way they were set up. 

Sorry, I don't mean they are poor for what they are meant to do. I see TCJ2, Shallows, and Purge as major successes. Most horror films are because they cost almost no money to make. However, in terms of sustaining the whole industry, the rare rated R film that can pass 50 million and the rarer one that can get past 100 million isn't enough sustenance for these studios, imo. Those films are doing very very very well and congrats to all those behind them. Those movies, however, probably won't be enough if tentpoles keep failing. In other words, all the movies that were MEANT to make major income failed to do in great satisfaction. All the movies that didn't have such expectations were able to make more money than their budgets. RT%age correlates.

summary: movies meant to make limited amount = good RT score = made okay money & movies meant to make a ton of money = low RT score = didn't make enough money to be sustainable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Good thing JW didn't come out this summer. Thanks to the low standards this summer, it may have been hailed by critics as a masterpiece and Tele would have lost his mind. :lol:

Nah, it fails by any standard. Critics would've realized that and written pieces over which was worse, it or IDR. :P 

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Good thing JW didn't come out this summer. Thanks to the low standards this summer, it may have been hailed by critics as a masterpiece and Tele would have lost his mind. :lol:

IMO, the only difference between this summer and last was JW. Subtract JW, and you're going to have pretty much identical outcomes. Heck, with SLOP and Suicide Squad coming up, this year might even look superior to last (minus JW that is).

Last summer was pretty awful at this point, too, outside of Mad Max. Hell I would say it was alot worse, when it came to live-action movies. It wasn't until the solid Ant-Man and Trainwreck, and more importantly the awesome MI5/The Gift/Compton trio over the last three weeks that we really got some great movies. This summer hasn't had a Mad Max, but it did have Popstar (favorite movie of the year) and Civil War, along with Nice Guys and Central Intelligence, both of which were fun. I have hopes that Star Trek/Bourne/Sausage Party/The Founder/The Infiltrator/Ghostbusters will boost this summer quality wise (no hope for Suicide Squad, sadly). It's another back loaded summer, maybe. 

Is 2016 the Worst Summer Movie Season Ever?

http://screencrush.com/2016-worst-summer-movie-season-ever/

Limiting myself to just the average Rotten Tomatoes scores of $100 million budget movies, I found a much wider range from year to year — and that 2016 is, thus far, the second worst summer in a decade. But it’s still not the worst; that dubious honor belongs to 2009, the year of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Angels & Demons, Terminator Salvation, Land of the Lost, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, G-Force, and G.I. Joe. That year, the only two tentpoles with Rotten Tomatoes scores higher than 90 were J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek and Pete Docter’s Up — a nearly identical scenario to 2016, with Civil War and this summer’s Pixar movie, Finding Dory.

chart2.jpg

Edited by TalismanRing