Neo

Death Wish | March 2 2018 | Eli Roth directing

Joe Carnahan Tweets A ‘Death Wish’

Carnahan Twitter:

Guys. I'm doing 'Death Wish.' But this version is a re-imagining of the book and set in present day Los Angeles. The L.A. of 'Collateral.'

It's on buses, cabs, metro trains. I want to show an unseen version of L.A. L.A. on foot. Prowling. Hunting. The vast emptiness of downtown.

Refn did a phenomenal job shooting L.A. It took on a different dimension. That's the key.

The only role I'm writing in 'Death Wish' which will mark the ONE time I've ever written exclusively for an actor, will be for @FrankGrillo.

Guys, I said I was writing a role for @FrankGrillo. Nobody said anything about Frank playing the Kersey part. Relax folks. We have a plan.

http://twitter.com/carnojoe

Carnahan:

I do, but to share it would jinx it, so I wouldn’t. Yes, I do and it’s very anti what you would expect in terms of what Bronson did with that part. It’s a more… I said this in the past, that material was originally intended for Sidney Lumet and Jack Lemmon. That’s who was going to make DEATH WISH and that fascinates me, the idea of those two guys making that movie. So that’s what I’m kind of interested in revisiting and not so much the novel as so much the notion of vengeance, the notion of what it’s like to take a relatively or completely peaceful man, not necessarily a pacifist, but a peaceful man, a guy who has not known violence in his life and introduce it in such a horrific fashion that it fundamentally alters you, you know, genetically, it does something to you that you can’t undo. So it’s much more of a psychological attack on DEATH WISH and at the same time it’s very much an action film. It’s L.A. as a walking city. It’s L.A. by bus and cab and train and in a way that you haven’t seen it and I just spent the last week with Gusmano Cesaretti who is Michael Mann’s locations guy and kind of set photographer. Everything you saw in HEAT and COLLATERAL and for Tony Scott’s MAN ON FIRE, that’s all Gusmano going and finding these thing. (Laughs) And I had the most extraordinary tour of the city I live in that I’ve never seen. So I’m really interested in that. L.A. is going to play a big part of what that movie is and I’m kind of excited about that.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55898

I was also pleasantly surprised. Bruce looked a lot like the Bruce of a decade ago. I saw Bruce in this DDVD film 'Precious Cargo' not long back and that was a listless little film. Maybe this will bolster him for a solid Die Hard 6 conclusion film. Hell, I'd also take a nice conclusion to the RED films.

• Like 2