WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Why Nolan was at the VMAs in 2002 tho ?

He didn't start his blockbuster period back then ...

:thinking:

Got my spotlight on to research this on the wikipedia page. won a best new filmmaker award. awards show was on the same weekend insomnia opened so probably a lazy pr thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Nevada said:

Yeah, I mean.. Cuckoo's Nest, The Godfather, The Deer Hunter, Deliverance, Annie Hall etc. were all edgy, challenging films. Also did huge at the box office. But I think for the past 20 or so years we as moviegoers have become so accustomed to the action blockbuster that we can't really go back to that anymore. Plus there's the issue with globalization too. 

We are 6 months removed from The Revenant having stupid legs.  People overreact to everything.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Fuck summer movies. Anything made by studios, anyway. Summer's are

now a wasteland. Used to be my favorite movie season, now it's the worst. 

Pixar doesn't need my support, btw. 

Oh, the horror. 

So many summer films back in your days are awful. And countless more are mediocre. 

• Like 3

So if RTH's SLOP numbers hold, that's an increase from Friday without previews.  That would put it over 100 for sure.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rth said:

Rough sat SLOP 35-37, FD about 9

Using 36M+38.3M gives us 74.3M... yeah they will give us a 100M OW estimate only to drop 2-3M.

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

at least one director knows how to use their socials.

Scorsese is actually more open-minded than Nolan when it comes to new technology. Hugo was shot in 3D and Wolf of Wall Street was partily shot in digital.

• Like 7

Just now, CJohn said:

Using 36M+38.3M gives us 74.3M... yeah they will give us a 100M OW estimate only to drop 2-3M.

Uh, no lol.  It will come in at about 103 for the estimate.  And that's not even giving it the soft drop on Sunday like IO had.  If it does come in at 35 or higher, you can lock in 100 OW.

I'm not surprised. When I went to buy tickets for SLOP for tomorrow almost every showing was sold out in the morning/early afternoons except for seats in the very first row. Thankfully I only needed two seats so we managed to an afternoon showing but in 3D.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Did anyone predict over 100 m OW for SLOP?

Probably the biggest non-Disney box office suprise since Deadpool.

MovieMan and I think James and Shay did, though I could be wrong on the latter two.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

That would be a better Saturday hold compared to Minions. Great performance so far.

And way better than IO.  Minions shouldn't be in the conversation here.......that's a built in property.  It was bound to fall hard on Saturday.  This one isn't going to fall at all, if you take out the previews.