WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

I went back to the same theatre I went to last night to see a special screening of Chicago, and I heard several workers say that The Secret Life of Pets had sold out throughout the entire afternoon through that point.

Illumination has nice advertising. Their films are strictly mediocre, though. They're basically making Blue Sky movies in terms of budget and blandness but doing old DWA numbers with them. Impressive, business-wise, but not really encouraging to watch.

You are acting like The Good Dinosaur wasn't a failure.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Oh there's this great joke about Christoph Waltz and his priest with that accent.

AWFUL.

That joke did not work at all. And the movie just gets brutally cut after it to another scene at the dinner table. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It's dumb but more fun than expected?

It is one of the most boring blockbusters I have ever seen. It also is the first time I say this from a movie but I have to: they literally took out the color from this movie. It is all grey and dark. Jesus. 

Just now, CJohn said:

It is one of the most boring blockbusters I have ever seen. It also is the first time I say this from a movie but I have to: they literally took out the color from this movie. It is all grey and dark. Jesus. 

David Yates, everyone.

abb4e5d006ab4a001675f836554eae16f415b38d

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

David Yates, everyone.

abb4e5d006ab4a001675f836554eae16f415b38d

He uses super weird camera angles too for no reason. The whole movie is very dull. It is incredible how anyone thought throwing 180M into this was a good idea.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

He uses super weird camera angles too for no reason. The whole movie is very dull. It is incredible how anyone thought throwing 180M into this was a good idea.

PhotoSizedDown_Kevin_Tsujihara_2014.jpg

This guy is soooooooooo lucky it'll make a profit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

If a movie makes money, it is a good idea. And by the looks of it, LOT will end up making WB money. It will most likely break-even theatrical (or just below break-even) and the ancillaries will carry it from there. Literally no one expected it to do as well as it has been doing. I'm sure WB had the write-down on it all ready to go before it just seemed to catch on for some reason.

• Like 6