kayumanggi

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING | 546.0 M overseas ● 880.2 M worldwide

On 9/18/2017 at 2:11 AM, XO21 said:

Thor 3 shares a lot with Guardians 2, heavy comedy and somehow sci fi setting. Volume 2 didn't exactly break the OS markets

Thor will need to do much better in Asian markets to greatly expand on it's previous O/S market.  Like the GOTGs, Thor's previous strongest markets have been in Europe though Thor does better in L.A.

• Like 1

Great going for spidey overtaking BvS. It is now the 8th highest grossing SH movie of all time and the highest for this year till date (will probably finish second behind JL for the whole year). 

It'll probably fall short of SM3 by 10-12 million. But a great run nonetheless washing off the stink of the last 3 subpar Spider-man movies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Great going for spidey overtaking BvS. It is now the 8th highest grossing SH movie of all time and the highest for this year till date (will probably finish second behind JL for the whole year). 

It'll probably fall short of SM3 by 10-12 million. But a great run nonetheless washing off the stink of the last 3 subpar Spider-man movies. 

Not so sure about JL passing SMH, in fact I would bet on the opposite. I don't believe in JL legs. It isn't WW. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Not so sure about JL passing SMH, in fact I would bet on the opposite. I don't believe in JL legs. It isn't WW. 

Christmas...

I am not saying that JL can even beat BvS worldwide, but Christmas will give it better legs than BvS even if the film is worse received.

19 hours ago, Valonqar said:

21 minutes ago, peludo said:

Christmas...

I am not saying that JL can even beat BvS worldwide, but Christmas will give it better legs than BvS even if the film is worse received.

At this moment, I truly don't see neither Ragnarok or Justice League doing better than Homecoming. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Homecoming stays as the highest grossing superhero film of the year.

1 hour ago, peludo said:

Christmas...

But also direct competition from Star Wars:TLJ. That should hurt legs rather than make JL a second choice when TLJ is sold out. We'll see but I still think that JL will top out in mid 800s WW. And that's my optimistic prediction. 

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But also direct competition from Star Wars:TLJ. That should hurt legs rather than make JL a second choice when TLJ is sold out. We'll see but I still think that JL will top out in mid 800s WW. And that's my optimistic prediction. 

Sure, Star Wars hit a bit MJ2 relative to MJ1 (I am talking about DOM). But MJ2 grossed nearly the same percentage of its final gross after the 5th weekend (when TFA was released) than Catching Fire, for example, even alhough MJ2 faced the biggest beast of all time.

Talking about competition, Catching Fire faced Smaug and Frozen, but nothing can be compared to what TFA was. And let's remember that MJ2 survived to TFA having a mixed reception.

And finally, BvS legs were absolutely disastrous. I insist that unless JL is even worse received, I can not see it having a worse multiplier than BvS with Christmas boost. I think that with even a worse opening, JL can, at least, match BvS. And WW reception should help.

Just my opinion, of course :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, peludo said:

Sure, Star Wars hit a bit MJ2 relative to MJ1 (I am talking about DOM). But MJ2 grossed nearly the same percentage of its final gross after the 5th weekend (when TFA was released) than Catching Fire, for example, even alhough MJ2 faced the biggest beast of all time.

Talking about competition, Catching Fire faced Smaug and Frozen, but nothing can be compared to what TFA was. And let's remember that MJ2 survived to TFA having a mixed reception.

And finally, BvS legs were absolutely disastrous. I insist that unless JL is even worse received, I can not see it having a worse multiplier than BvS with Christmas boost. I think that with even a worse opening, JL can, at least, match BvS. And WW reception should help.

Current exchange rates are even worse than the ones that BvS got. Justice League might suffer even if it performs like let's say somewhere between Guardians and Wonder Woman domestically. Right now, especially with how lacking the marketing for the film has been, especially if you factor in worldwide markets, I just don't see it blowing up. The low key marketing works for something like Wonder Woman domestically, but if Justice League doesn't blow up domestically, I could see it doing around WW numbers worldwide or even less because of The Last Jedi / buzz. I just don't see JL right now going for $1b, and maybe not even $900m, hence why I'm actually thinking Homecoming might not be topped by other superhero film this year.

Edited by iJackSparrow

6 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Current exchange rates are even worse than the ones that BvS got. Justice League might suffer even if it performs like let's say somewhere between Guardians and Wonder Woman domestically. Right now, especially with how lacking the marketing for the film has been, especially if you factor in worldwide markets, I just don't see it blowing up. The low key marketing works for something like Wonder Woman domestically, but if Justice League doesn't blow up domestically, I could see it doing around WW numbers worldwide or even less because of The Last Jedi / buzz. I just don't see JL right now going for $1b, and maybe not even $900m, hence why I'm actually thinking Homecoming might not be topped by other superhero film this year.

In fact, exchange rates (at least for main markets) are better than in March 2016 (excepting British Pound)

Edited by peludo

1 hour ago, peludo said:

OK, that's a good point. MJ2 was the worst received of all THG movies and the franchise was already on the unstoppable decline. yet, as you say, it survived TFA (most anticipated movie in over a decade, another strong female lead). Also considering BvS reception, JL would need SS reception to do worse even in holiday season. still, I think that SMH can prevail.