kayumanggi

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING | 546.0 M overseas ● 880.2 M worldwide

Great run nonetheless. To sum up:

The franchise fatigue struck all around Europe, expect Spain, and a touch in Japan. In UK despite the change of exchange rates and not so stellar debut, likely hurt by DM3, it recovered thx to legs. 

It did great in Asia and South America, the latter has some frontloading in a few countries, again, probably hurt by DM3.

_

Imo -if well received- the sequel has some space to improvement at least in Europe and US. It comes out 2 (maybe 3 OS) weeks after Toy Story 4 and Pets was moved a month before. 

The Lion King will come out 2 weeks later in US..so at best it'll have 3 weeks OS before TLK strikes 

It's a decent spot, 2019 is packed

Edited by XO21
  • Like 3

880m...solid numbers.

surprising that no movie except DM3 went north of 900m.

3 did 800m+ (WONDR, GOTG2, SMH) though and POTC5 did 794m so that's close enough.

TF5 will be surprise globally. sub-610m. tough to wrap my head around that. was supposed to do 300m odd from china itself.

• Thanks 1

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $332,744,833    37.9%
Foreign:  $544,726,957    62.1%

= Worldwide:  $877,471,790

Needs about 2.5m more to get to 880m. Its run is done in China and it'll barely make few thousand overseas if any. So it'll need to get that 2.5m from DOM. I think it'll struggle to get there but it may if it gets a late boost. 879-880 final total

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It's unfortunate that it had bad legs in China. The movie is still a huge sucess, though. A sequel will obviously get better overseas numbers. ;)

If exchange rates improve in Latin America, as I expect, then SMH2 will have some room to improve :) With the same ER than in 2012 (release of The Amazing SM) SMH would have grossed $60m+ in Brazil instead of $31m. The potential is there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2017 at 10:04 PM, Fullbuster said:

If exchange rates improve in Latin America, as I expect, then SMH2 will have some room to improve :) With the same ER than in 2012 (release of The Amazing SM) SMH would have grossed $60m+ in Brazil instead of $31m. The potential is there.

That's interesting. I would like to know how other comic book films released this year and last would have performed during a time with more favorable ER.. 

6 hours ago, Hades said:

That's interesting. I would like to know how other comic book films released this year and last would have performed during a time with more favorable ER.. 

Spider-Man, GotG 2 and WW probably all would've hit $1 billion. Exchange rates were so much better 4-5 years ago.

On 10/4/2017 at 2:04 PM, Fullbuster said:

I doubt that is happening. Dollar wont devalue that much. I think brazil also will keep its currency pegged at a rate that is favorable for exports. Its afterall a surplus economy. 

7 hours ago, miketheavenger said:

Spider-Man, GotG 2 and WW probably all would've hit $1 billion. Exchange rates were so much better 4-5 years ago.

Not that much better.  WW & GOTG2 certainly weren't going to go from $408m and $473m O/S to $588m and $610m O/S with 2012/2013 exchange rates.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Not that much better.  WW & GOTG2 certainly weren't going to go from $408m and $473m O/S to $588m and $610m O/S with 2012/2013 exchange rates.

Yeah, you're right. I probably overestimated the impact. All three of these movies are massive successes even with current exchnage rates, so it wouldn't have made that big of a difference anyway.

1 hour ago, Bishop54 said:

I just finished this up, it was very very bad. One of the worst films of the year for me. The entire movie was a running joke, a parody. 

Lmao, I always felt the Sam Raimi movies with their self aware ham, bad acting, and gee golly naivete came off as condescending as if they view comics as silly tripe.

• ...wtf 1

27 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lmao, I always felt the Sam Raimi movies with their self aware ham, bad acting, and gee golly naivete came off as condescending as if they view comics as silly tripe.

Different people different tastes man. I am just happy it was so well received critically and by the GA and ended up making more than Guardians and WW (and who knows maybe even JL). Bodes well for the sequel. I hope they keep the humor and the heart of the movie because that is what made the movie good for me. Better than mopey and gloomy for sure. 

• Like 5

On 10/6/2017 at 0:18 PM, miketheavenger said:

But they didn't while other movies did despite the same rates. :) Which shows that they obivously aren't as popular so it isn't really down to rates but that not enough people paid to see them to even cross 900M. They are fine successes in their own right but other movies have just been bigger successes worldwide cause they had bigger appeal. 

Edited by Valonqar

On 08/10/2017 at 6:55 PM, Valonqar said:

But they didn't while other movies did despite the same rates. :) Which shows that they obivously aren't as popular so it isn't really down to rates but that not enough people paid to see them to even cross 900M. They are fine successes in their own right but other movies have just been bigger successes worldwide cause they had bigger appeal. 

Thanks to the rise of several markets such as India, Indonesia, Vietnam and Latin America as a whole it should become easier to cross $1B WW in the next few years even with terrible exchange rates while crossing $2B is likely to be more frequent.