grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

Wow!!!!  That's an awesome number for Pets!!!!

Over Minions locked IMO.

I think it's going to play better weekdays than weekends like Dory.

Cant wait to see if Tuesday's number matches IO.

I think IO's total is a bit too high but above Zootopia looking pretty good today.

• Like 1

Really ramping up for Trek. The buzz is getting pretty loud. Hope it opens well.

As for GB, it might have soft weekdays. It'll still easily gross $125M+ DOM. I'm happy many liked it. I caught it yesterday and thought it was harmless, hilarious in fits but mostly pretty boring. Give it C+ flat.

17 hours ago, kitik said:

Nobody will confuse it for Deadpool's numbers, but Ghostbusters opened above: The BFG, Tarzan, Independence Day, Warcraft, NYSM2, Central Intelligence, TMNT 6, Alice 2, and Angry Birds.

It's definitely leaning more towards good.

We'll the OW DOM for flicks with comparable budgets, as in greater or the same, were pretty bad for BFG, Alice, ID4 2 and TMNT 2. So, yeah, what I said fit what it is... The OW weekend was okay, the critical reception mostly mixed with a slight positive lean and, if it works out, the legs will be okay... Good enough to get it to about $140M DOM and maybe $275M WW. All in all, an extremely forgettable box office run.

To even compare it to Central Intelligence, which I believe had a third of the budget. Or, Angry Birds, which had half of the budget. Or, NYSM2, which I can only imagine cost nothing close to $100M is kind of goofy. Tarzan did better than expected but was expected to bomb. The others are some of the biggest studio disappointments of the summer. You're damning the hell out Ghostbusters with faint praise by putting it alongside them.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

58 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I think the legs are going to be poor, especially with Star Trek/Bourne stealing away the action crowd, Lights Out stealing the couples, and Bad Moms stealing the female and comedy crowd.  

I agree. I used these films as my reasoning as to why I didn't think it would get a multiplier higher than 3. I think it was released in a very crowded time, that it would affect its legs. However I am shocked that its not going to hit $5m for Monday. Thats bigger than a 60% Sunday to Monday drop. 

24 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Not that low, someone already guessed it.  

A'ight :)

I went that low cause you mentioned you were expecting just over 100m dom.

1 hour ago, nilephelan said:

It is too bad the marketing approach they took didn't do the movie any favors.  It likely limps over $100m and might struggle to hit $250m overall.  

Edited by a2knet

I assume it's just over/under $5M for Monday. It'll see nice healthy increase today. But, as nile already mentioned, I do really wonder about the weekend coming up. Trek (action/nostalgia), Lights Out (horror/date night) and Ice Age (family/children). Could be a larger drop than many expect. Then, Bourne (action/nostalgia) and Bad Moms (comedy/women) the following weekend. Then, of course, Suicide Squad (possible 4 quadrant) the weekend after that. It might survive. But, it will likely fade very, very quickly from the public consciousness.

20 minutes ago, Nova said:

Drops last Monday and last week in general were pretty harsh across the board though. 

Your point is? 

It's not bad for everything to drop 60% last Monday, but it's bad for Ghostbusters this Monday?

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Your point is? 

It's not bad for everything to drop 60% last Monday, but it's bad for Ghostbusters this Monday?

We won't know if it's good or bad until we see all the Monday numbers, right? Tough to argue either way. But, if it drops more than everything else this week, then it ain't great. If it's in line with the other releases, then it's perfectly fine.

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Your point is? 

No my point is that, last week in general was harsh across the board. Like everyday was a harsh drop. Or at least it felt that way. Maybe its because of discount tuesdays coupled with summer weekdays, that it feels that way. 

Pretty much what Im saying is that if Ghostbusters drops 60% its not a big deal imo, because drops have been harsh across the board, not just the top movies. 

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

@nilephelan said is under 5.

As for pets are we talking about a 42% drop?

1 hour ago, James said:

Ohhh, so it made the same as IO. I though you meant the Sun-Mon drop. That's awesome then. If it hits 6.9m like IO that means a 40-41% drop. I think it might still beat IO's total.

Nile liked it so it must be it.

• Like 1