grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. And, total production/marketing of $290M. Should just about bream even. Probably  gross about  $250M to $300M WW.

If it does that it would juuuuuust be barely enough for Sony to greenlight a sequel. They REALLY want this.

Edited by goldenstate5

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's $144M. It's not going to flop. It'll make at least $120M domestic on top of whatever it makes internationally. 

this is not a guaranteed international player.  It has not international stars or internationally appealing concept.  Apparently it is not even doing great in the UK

I had a dream I was talking to this guy about the box office, and he asked me for my GB OW predict and I said, "95m sounds about right."

The dude started laughing, and so did I when I woke up.

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

this is not a guaranteed international player.  It has not international stars or internationally appealing concept.  Apparently it is not even doing great in the UK

It's doing okay business in the UK. It's not flopping there but it didn't break out either. It's going to do $4-5M for the weekend in Australia. It's doing decent business over seas. I can see it doing $130-140M OS. It's not getting a China release but apparently that's because it didn't generate much interest or something so clearly they weren't losing much by not releasing it there. It'll make $270-300M WW at least which would be enough for Sony to green light a sequel imo 

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Ghostbusters might miss 45 m OW and 110 DOM.

The haters' energy is growing stronger.

PzOCVo5.jpg

Paul Feig has yet to direct a film with less than a 3.5x. 

I don't see how GB will only get a 2.4x with summer weekdays. Even 50-55% drops the rest of its run would get it to $125-135 million DOM. 

Even with the GB brand, a 2.8x-3.1x should happen since I don't think WOM will be toxic. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On the other hand, it should have relatively decent legs. I'm still thinking it'll play like a less frontloaded version of Ant-Man.

Ant-Man wasn't that frontloaded. It also didn't have as much competition

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Paul Feig has yet to direct a film with less than a 3.5x. 

I don't see how GB will only get a 2.4x with summer weekdays. Even 50-55% drops the rest of its run would get it to $125-135 million DOM. 

Even with the GB brand, a 2.8x-3.1x should happen since I don't think WOM will be toxic. 

Throwing the reboot/remake aspect into it changes things heavily. WOM works much differently in these situations.

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's doing okay business in the UK. It's not flopping there but it didn't break out either. It's going to do $4-5M for the weekend in Australia. It's doing decent business over seas. I can see it doing $130-140M OS. It's not getting a China release but apparently that's because it didn't generate much interest or something so clearly they weren't losing much by not releasing it there. It'll make $270-300M WW at least which would be enough for Sony to green light a sequel imo 

'

UK and Australia should be the biggest overseas markets for this film. 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Ant-Man wasn't that frontloaded. It also didn't have as much competition

This, Star Trek, and Jason Bourne are likely to play mostly to older audiences so there's room for all of them to co-exist. I imagine Suicide Squad is the only thing for the rest of the summer that will have immense appeal to the under-25 set.

9 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I had a dream I was talking to this guy about the box office, and he asked me for my GB OW predict and I said, "95m sounds about right."

The dude started laughing, and so did I when I woke up.

A8cgEc7.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

The Chinese government doesn't allow movies with overt supernatural elements or ghosts.

I know that. However the official word from Sony according to THR was that they didn't send it in to be screened because there apparently wasn't enough interest or something along those lines. I think thats a lie, personally, and that it didn't pass the censors. 

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

It will probably do more than I originally thought, I hope it bombs though.

:jeb!:

That's harsh man.

Decent number, boring thread, etc etc

50m OW still in play, not much beyond that.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This, Star Trek, and Jason Bourne are likely to play mostly to older audiences so there's room for all of them to co-exist. I imagine Suicide Squad is the only thing for the rest of the summer that will have immense appeal to the under-25 set.

Ghostbusters hasn't been geared towards the under 25 set though. Its mostly directed at older females/families.