grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

For what it's worth I think a lot of kids, particularly girls, are gonna see Ghostbusters this weekend. I know it's competing with SLOP but I've definitely heard more kids anecdotally talk about Ghostbusters this week

4 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

For what it's worth I think a lot of kids, particularly girls, are gonna see Ghostbusters this weekend. I know it's competing with SLOP but I've definitely heard more kids anecdotally talk about Ghostbusters this week

They attached trailers before Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets. No surprise kids are interested on some level (except for the small ones of course).

I'm curious to see how Absolutely Fabulous does in limited release next week, it's been very successful in the UK although I imagine Fox aren't expecting huge numbers. It's likely already profitable from the UK alone so OS money is just gravy

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Anyone think Pete's Dragon is going to break out?

Did anyone have it in their top 15 in the summer game?

It's a wildcard. I don't have it in my top 15, but I could see it making over 100m.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

There were a few families at my screening last night. It kinda makes sense when you consider that the original appealed to kids (and is quite possibly the only kid-friendly movie in the history of cinema with a pretty-clearly-implied blowjob).

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm curious to see how Absolutely Fabulous does in limited release next week, it's been very successful in the UK although I imagine Fox aren't expecting huge numbers. It's likely already profitable from the UK alone so OS money is just gravy

I actually might consider seeing the Absolutely Fabulous movie if I have the time. The show is HILLARIOUS.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Feig is probably better off staying away from sequels anyway. He recently said the reason The Heat 2 never happened was because of, unsurprisingly, Sandra Bullock (can't blame her for staying away from sequels given her poor history with them).

The screenwriter is actually trying to make a sequel but Bullock won't sign on. I wonder why!

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

The screenwriter is actually trying to make a sequel but Bullock won't sign on. I wonder why!

Probably because whenever she's made a sequel (Speed 2, Miss Congeniality 2), it ended up in total disaster.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I actually might consider seeing the Absolutely Fabulous movie if I have the time. The show is HILLARIOUS.

The movie is good although not amazing. I think if you like the show, you'll like the film.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The movie is good although not amazing. I think if you like the show, you'll like the film.

There will never, ever be a more darkly funny parent/child relationship than Edina and Saffron.

"It's Lacroix, sweetie, Lacroix."

3 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Plus she's an A-list actor now more than ever. A sequel is just too risky for her.

She did Minions so she's not afraid of appearing or voicing in a franchise film. I wonder if she's been approached for a superhero film or a franchise

1 minute ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

What???? LOL!!! For what??? :rofl:

Ghosts. Where have you been? It's been mentioned numerous times. There's been posters talking about it for several weeks on how Sony has been trying to get it released there but nothing has worked. So they're going with another movie to release there in its place. 

• Like 1

Remember when Leslie Jones made a huge deal about not getting a well known designer to make a dress for her. Well here's Kristen Stewart wearing a custom Chanel dress at her Cafe Society premiere.....so yea sometimes it's best to just head over to the local mall and just pick your own clothes. tumblr_inline_oabi7qASWv1tcrvtq_1280.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Sorry I haven't been following the news close in China on the banning of this movie, but that's just stupid either way.. So China will allow movies from James Wan like The CONJURING or INSIDIOUS, but not Ghostbusters 2016??? :slaphead:

Those never got China releases either. 

1 minute ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Hell, not even The GRUDGE and that was what?? PG-13???

I never realized how successful the Grudge was until I just went and looked at its box office number. $187M WW on a $10M budget. But the grudge wasn't released there either. They don't do the whole spiritual/super natural stuff so anything that has that typically gets banned from there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not really sure where to put this, but here's a fascinating article breaking down budgets and where (and how) movies generate their revenue. A lot of you will have a general sense of most of this, but the specifics are fascinating. I learned a bunch. 

https://stephenfollows.com/how-movies-make-money-hollywood-blockbusters/

Thanks for the link, very informative!

This, from your link, is hilariously sad though:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/my-big-fat-greek-wedding-most-profitable-independent-film-in-history-with-over-600-million-worldwide-receipts-supposedly-loses-over-20-million-70743087.html

• Like 2

That GB number is mindblowing, considering the fact that it had bad trailers with so many dislikes, and negative buzz from fans and anyone with social media account months leading up to its release.

• Like 1