baumer

Baumer's Top 100 films you have probably heard of but more than likely haven't seen. #1: Cute Clever Mischievous, but don't feed them after midnight!

Number 40

Love The Coopers (2015)

Directed by Jessie Nelson

Starring, John Goodman, Diane, Keeton, Marisa Tomei, Amanda Seyfried, Alan Arkin, Ed Hel,s Steve Martin, Olivia Wilde, Anthony Mackie

Box office:  42.4M WW

The most under rated film of last year.  I realize I'm in the minority on this one....like BIG TIME.  But I also don't think people really gave this a chance.  The problem, is, I think people were expecting a good holiday film with family and a little dysfunction.  What we get instead is a lot of dysfunction and a lot of anger.  But you also get a lot of warmth and in the end, it all works out.  You get to spend some time with the Coopers and everyone in the family is going through their own perils.  And it's the worst time of year to do this, seeing as it's Christmas.  But what I got out of it is that nothing is more important than your family and even though many of them can drive you nuts, when it all comes down to the nuts and bolts, you all love each other and try to put aside your differences.  

This wasn't as dysfunctional as bad Santa or Christmas Vacation and it wasn't as sweet as a Wonderful Life.  But it does fall in between somewhere and I really hope some of you give it a chance.

Trivia:  The family dog Rags is the narrator of the film. He is voiced by Steve Martin.

mmet-the-coopers.jpg?w=768

• Like 3

Coming up:

Alright alright alright and Game Over Man see demons

You shot the invisible man!

Glow in the dark condoms become lightsabres and I spit out my Diet Coke in the theater from laughing so hard (true story)

• Like 2

Number 39

Frailty (2002)

Directed by Bill Paxton

Starring:  Matthew McConaughey, Powers Boothe, Bill Paxton, 

Box office:  17M

It's no secret that I love Bill Paxton.  To me, he is one of the finest actors of his generation.  Turns out he can direct the hell out of a movie too.  It's true that there are more than enough thrillers about serial murder - and so it's always great when a film comes along and plays with this premise - and Frailty does that brilliantly! Bill Paxton is obviously best known for his acting work (which includes film-stealing performances in films like Aliens and Near Dark), and here he gets to work both in front of and behind the camera as we get a typical Paxton-style show stealing performance, and he directs also. Obviously, this isn't a film that will break any boundaries; but Paxton takes his plot and spins an entertaining and exciting thrill-ride around it. The film opens with a man named Fenton Meiks arriving at a police station. He tells the agent in charge of the 'Gods Hand' case that he knows the identity of the killer that has been terrorising the local community. The film then moves into flashbacks, as we find out that the man's father received a vision from God, in which he was told to destroy demons. The film focuses on the father's two young boys; one of whom believes his father's visions, and one that doesn't...

If you were to properly analyse the film's message, you would no doubt come to the conclusion that there are many holes and ideas that don't really make a lot of sense. But this isn't important, as Frailty does everything that you could ask of it. The religion theme is well done, and the film provides an interesting perspective where God is concerned. The acting is excellent, with Bill Paxton in a somewhat dumbed down, but no less intriguing role than usual. The support cast includes Matthew McConaughey and Powers Boothe, both of whom are well used. The real acting comes from child actors Matt O'Leary and Jeremy Sumpter; who both manage to star in the film without becoming annoying. The film has many themes outside of the central religious one, the most frightening of which is the corruption of youth. Paxton does a really good job of blending the boys' childhood story with some quite gruesome horror, and while the film does have some failings where some of the central ideas are concerned, it's not too important as Frailty is a well worked thriller and one that might surprise some of you.

Trivia:  Directors James CameronSam Raimi and author Stephen King all singled out Frailty(2001) for high praise. King thought it one of the best horror movies of its year.

Bill Paxton planned to have the demons' crimes shown when Dad first touched them. At James Cameron's suggestion, he changed this so the information is a surprise that comes at the end.

Frailty-poster-1.jpg

• Like 5

Number 38

Three Amigos (1986)

Directed by John Landis

Starring:  Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Martin Short, Jon Lovitz, Phil Hartman

Box office:  39.2M

This is one of the funniest movies I've seen, and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. I won't comment a lot about it because there are lots of reviews on here that say the same thing I would say. I would just like to make a couple of observations.

One time a friend and I were watching Mel Brooks' comedy "High Anxiety," which is a hilarious sendup of themes from Alfred Hitchcock movies. My friend remarked, "This is just a silly comedy, but I'm getting excited about the plot." I, too, found the plot oddly suspenseful, even though there were laughs galore. Someone has said that's a hallmark of a great parody; it gives you the feeling that you are watching a movie that was intended to be taken seriously, but is so absurd that comedy is the result.

"The Three Amigos" is a parody of classic themes of Westerns, and also of the history of Hollywood films. While the plot is more simple than that of "High Anxiety," I still found that the story pulled me in. I actually cared about the plot and the characters, and vicariously I went on their great adventure with them. The comedy made the journey that much more enjoyable. When people say this plot is "unbelievable," I wonder what they were expectiing. After all, a movie like this is about things that don't happen just every day. Since most of the film could have happened, why not "suspend disbelief" and simply enjoy it?

Also, for those of you old enough to remember, or who are at least familiar with the history of television, there was a famous 1950s TV show called "The Cisco Kid." He travelled the Old West righting wrongs like the Lone Ranger, only he and his sidekick Pancho were both hispanic. That was unusual for the time, and the show was also the first series to be filmed in color (in the early 50s!). The clothes that the Cisco Kid wore bear a striking resemblance to the costumes of the Three Amigos. Clearly the movie borrowed themes from that show, even the ending. After waving goodbye to the viewers, Cisco and Pancho would say, "Let's ride!" and the thrilling music would rise as they rapidly rode away across the desert. I found it thrilling to see Lucky, Dusty, and Ned do that, too!  And when you can shoot the invisible man, you've done something right.

Trivia:  Steven Spielberg considered directing the film but chose to do E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial(1982) instead. He has said in interviews his choices for the roles of the Three Amigos were Steve Martin for Lucky Day, Bill Murray for Dusty Bottoms and Robin Williams for Ned Nederlander.

John Landis states, had Martin Short turned down the role of Ned, he would have then approached Rick Moranis to play the role.

Z

• Like 6

Number 37

Skin Deep (1989)

Directed by Blake Edwards

Starring John Ritter, Vincent Gardenia

Box office:  19.6M

Skin Deep is about the funniest film that no one has heard of.  Blake Edwards is a legendary director with titles like Breakfast at Tiffany's, Pink Panther and 10. Skin Deep, imo, is his funniest film.  Not only is it funny but it's outlandish and it takes risks.  There's one scene in particular, that when you see it, you will never forget it.  Let's just say it has to do with glow in the dark condoms and something about a lightsabre.   John Ritter plays a familiar Blake Edward's character who is at the same time a pathetic but intelligent man who is losing everything to his vices. In this case, Zach is a successful author who is hitting rock bottom due to alcoholism and his non-stop womanizing. John Ritter's physical comedy is hilarious yet he portrays this pathetic character with great sensitivity. You watch as this man slowly and painfully spirals down and the women who try to help redeem him slowly get dragged down with him. But Edwards is a master at allowing us to laugh-out-loud at his slow and quiet self destruction. Who will ever forget the....glow-in-the-dark duel? or the body builder? or how about the morning after in the guest room? The slow ride to rock bottom made his redemption all the more sweet. I was pleasantly surprised at how "deep" this movie truly is. If you are looking for the slapstick of pure Clouseau, this is not your movie. I suspect most of those who disliked this movie were seeking that exact Blake Edwards formula comedy. However, he surprised us all with the kind of depth that belies the title.

poster-200x300.jpg

• Like 3

Three Amigos is another favorite of mine.  A couple friends and I dressed up as them for Halloween before.  I even did the whole "plethora" scene for a friend's gf. He heard me do the whole thing and called up his gf and had me to do the El Guapo voice and the whole scene for her :P 

• Like 2