baumer

Baumer's Top 100 films you have probably heard of but more than likely haven't seen. #1: Cute Clever Mischievous, but don't feed them after midnight!

1 hour ago, Jack Nevada said:

Pretty sure most people have seen Close Encounters

Hundreds of millions of Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian & Taylor Swift followers on social media have no clue what a close encounter is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Plus with 9 Oscar nominations it's definitely too mainstream recognized for this kind of list

I'll take that bet. You take a poll with anyone here undeep the age of 30. I bet more than half haven't seen it.

Casualties of War was a movie that I watched as a kid with my older sister and thought it was very disturbing at the time. I still enjoyed the movie and think it's one of the best Vietnam War movies.

Also, Michael J. Fox was very good opposite Sean Penn. I wish Fox had gotten more chances as a dramatic movie actor.

Edited by ProtoMan
  • Like 2

Causalities of War is pretty heavy stuff. I had no idea what the premise was going in and man it just hit me really hard. Some of those images you can't wipe from your memory. I'd definitely recommend it but be warned it's tough to get through.

• Like 2

Yes. I agree with both of you. Very tough movie to watch. Interesting that Art Lindon produced both casualties of war and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, obviously two Sean Penn movies about five years apart but they are about as diametric as you can get.

• Like 1

Close Encounters is definitely the most famous film on the list. But then again every film is going to be known.

Number 98

Cadillac Man (1990)

Directed by:  Roger Donaldson

Starring:  Robin Williams, Tim Robbins, Annabella Sciora

Box office:  26.7 million

Cadillac Man is a Robin Williams movie, I can still come back to watching, like any number of older comedies. Though not always funny, with Williams carrying it, you're guaranteed a good time. In another splendid performance, Williams plays a womanizing car salesman, who at the start, tries to sell an old woman a car who's present one has broken down. Emphasis on broken down here, as she was on way with her padres to a funeral, so her mood, like the others, isn't one that brightens. Williams is sort of a sleazebag on the side, never missing an opportunity. I really found this movie hugely entertaining, where the second half, intensifies, as Robin's infidelity finally catches up with him, as Robbins in a great performance, as a nutso, comes crashing through his place of work on his motorcycle. Here we really lose the laughs as things quickly become dramatic. Williams has supposedly been doing Robbin's girlfriend (Sciorra) so a hostage situation develops. Williams has some great lines, and again we see a bit of his own dialogue input. I loved the woman at the Chinese restaurant, where Williams and his co workers frequent, and where the police negotiator and his men set up base, oh "On the condition they eat". Although people have found this disappointing, I really love this film, William's character too, Joey, having ties in with the mafia. The casting is great. Every actor delivers, but truthfully, Robbins is the acting force here, out performing Williams. Robbins is so riveting to watch, you don't know what he'll do next. Cadillac Man is definitely worth a view, even if it runs low in the laugh expectation ratio, but Robbins and Williams are great to watch.  It's a film that didn't catch on with the audience all that much, perhaps because it wasn't as consistently funny as some had hoped.  But what it lacked in terms of mile a minute comedy, it certainly made up for with an intelligent script and two fantastic actors playing off one another.  It's also blessed with a very well written script Ken Friedman, who also wrote Johnny Handsome, another film that could make this list.

Interesting Stuff: Robin Williams breaks the fourth wall in this film.

Al Pacino, Michael Keaton and Danny Devito were all offered the Robin Williams role and passed on it.

cadillac_man_ver2_xlg.jpg

• Like 3

Number 97

Toy Soldiers (1991)

Directed by:  Daniel Petrie Jr.

Starring:  Sean Astin, Wil Wheaton, Keith Coogan and Jerry Orbach

Box office:  15 million

Toy Soldiers is imo, one of the most under rated films of our time.  It's a film that was all but ignored when it came out in 1991.  Tri Star basically dumped it in the last week of April, just before the start of the lucrative summer season.  And that's unfortunate because it had great cast and it was a very worthy Die Hard clone.  There were a lot of films that came out after Die Hard that used its basic formula, this, imo, is one of the better ones.  You basically replace the Nakatomi building with prep school for wealthy boys.  The set up is that a South American terrorist takes over a pre school in the US as his father is about to go on trial for murder and the judge on trial has one of his boys attending this private school.  So the entire school is held hostage until his father is freed.  But there is one small group of boys in the school who are rebellious and do not deal well with authority.  Sean Astin is explosively wonderful here as he plays the leader of the group and he of course just can't seem to stay out of trouble.  He, along with Wil Wheaton, who's father is a mafia Don, hatch a plan to get them and their entire school rescued.  The action is frenetic and the performances by everyone, but especially Astin and Wheaton, are excellent.  The great late Jerry Orbach has a terrific but small role as the mafia Don and back in the 90's, Orbach's presence in film was always a plus.  He, along with someone like Harry Dean Stanton, always made a film better.  He passed away much too early.  If you liked Die Hard, then I think this is definitely something you will appreciate.

Interesting stuff:  Andrew Divoff, who plays Luis, the lead terrorist, has said that this was his personal favourite role.

Lou Gossett Jr, Denholm Elliott and R. Lee Ermey all have roles here.

Toy_Soldiers-e1364190703858.jpg

• Like 5

@Baumer

I literally was just thinking about Toy Soldiers the other day.  It's such a guilty pleasure type movie and I always enjoyed it :)   Perfect kind of movie for this list

• Like 2