baumer

Baumer's Top 100 films you have probably heard of but more than likely haven't seen. #1: Cute Clever Mischievous, but don't feed them after midnight!

Next two: Hudson Basque and BI shop want a shot of whatever donkey piss you're shoving down these cocksuckers throats.

Gary David and Richard all might have crabs but can drown them like Tommy did on his pool. 

• Like 1

oh boy, glengarry glen ross.

@Baumer I have literally watched this film yesterday for the first time.

I think the part I laughed my ass off the most was when Dave and George are talking in the bar and they can't for the life of them decide if they're "talkin" about it or "speakin" about it, my buddy and I were just dying, that was hilarous. Incredible acting

The movie is insanely quotable as well. "What's your name?" - "Fuck you, that's my name"

or "Cop couldn't find his dick with two hands and a map."

There are dozens of these throughout the movie, it's pure gold.

Highly recommended :jedi:

• Like 3

Number 86

Near Dark (1987)

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow 

Starring:  Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen, Jeanette Goldstein

Box office:  3.3 million

The year was 1987.  In the summer of this year, the cool as fuck Vampire flick came out.  You know the one.  Good looking vampires with blond locks and a sexy as hell vixen with fantastic breasts.  It also had one of the coolest soundtracks of the 80's with names like INXS and Echo and the Bunny Men.  Plus you had the Corey's doing their thing.  Yes, Lost Boys was one of the darling hits of 1987.  And then you had future Oscar winner Kathryn Bigelow direct a film about vampires in which they never say they are vampires.  You have gory and gruesome killings, you have dark and brooding night life and you have good looking actors caked in dirt, blood and mucus.  Near Dark was about as opposite you can get from Lost Boys.  And yet in so many ways, it's better film.  

Kathryn Bigelow's dusty, ambient vampire western is a timeless classic for me, and a lived in genre entry with stellar performances, razor sharp writing (Eric Red power), and confident direction from Bigelow, at her very best when working in the pulpy realm of action, crime and horror. Once again Tangerine Dream contributes wonderfully atmospheric work that compliments the bloody spectacle on display. Aimless young cowboy Caleb (Adrian Pasdar) is transfixed one desolate night by a eerie, gorgeous drifter girl (Jenny Wright) who's passing through his small town. She takes him on a night ride into the outskirts of town, and in a delirious make out session beneath the stars, bites his neck, changing him into one of her kind. She takes pity on him and convinces her roaming pack of fellow blood sucking no,ads to try and take her in as one of their own. They are led by ruthless, violent patriarch Jesse (Lance Henriksen, a spectral force of enigmatic intimidation), his girl Diamondback (Janette Goldstein) and young Homer (Joshua Miller). The real standout, however, is Bill Paxton as Severin, the loony toon psychopathic whack job of the group. There's a blood freezing, prolonged sequence where the clan terrorizes an interstate roadhouse, and Paxton cuts loose and raises all hell, proving his talent to bring an audience their knees with his good ol boy ferocity. Caleb is very reluctant when forced to feed on innocent humans, and keeps relying on Mae to give him blood from her own veins, refusing to resort to predator instinct like the others. Meanwhile, his farmer father (Tim Thomerson, always welcome) and little sister search for him across the southwest. There's some truly memorable set pieces here, the bar scene I mentioned earlier, a smouldering climax on barren highways, and a sickening sequence where a blood deprived Caleb feverishly tries to purchase a bus ticket home. Bigelow infuses her love for visceral action and vivid characterizations together with the melodic nature of the story, resulting in a broad,backwater fable that's equal parts brutal and beautiful. Near Dark, needless to say, is one of my favourites.  

Interesting stuff:  While shooting in the desert, Lance Henriksen relieved the boredom between takes by hopping in his car and taking short drives through the desert, still in costume and often staying in character. According to Henriksen and Bill Paxton, the two were stopped by a policeman who became so unnerved questioning Jesse about his speeding that the officer became visibly uncomfortable, stepping back and placing his hand on his firearm. The obviously flustered officer decided to send them on their way rather than write them a ticket.

Future husband James Cameron suggested to Bigelow that she use the ready-made ensemble cast from his recent hit Aliens (1986), and thus Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton, and Jenette Goldstein all appear in Bigelow's film. Michael Biehn had also appeared in Aliens and was considered, but declined to participate.

You would never get a poster like this for a mainstream movie.  One of the all time greats!

near_dark.jpg

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Number 86

Near Dark (1987)

Directed by Kathryn Bigelow 

Starring:  Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen, Jeanette Goldstein

Box office:  3.3 million

You would never get a poster like this for a mainstream movie.  One of the all time greats!

near_dark.jpg

You can say that again:

51fd1FInwiL._SS500_.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(h/t TV Tropes:  Covers Always Lie: Behold the new Blu-Ray coversexternal_link.gifmeant to lure in Twilight fans.)

((I know you're a Twilight fan, Baumer, but you have to admit that is hilarious! :lol:))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

That's a horrible cover @Porthos...so ridiculous.  Can you imagine some 14 year old girl buying it and then see Bill Paxton walk around with his face melting and slicing up some hicks' throat with his boot?  :lol:

• Like 1

This has been a pretty solid list so far baumer, and I've seen just about all of these.

My biggest complaint is that Near Dark isn't #1. One of the most criminally underseen horror movies of all time. Utterly brilliant. But lots of great classics so far.

I'll agree that way too many folks here haven't seen Close Encounters. These damn kids' idea of movie history is probably something like the Star Wars prequel trilogy. And I'm loathe to think of their attitudes towards something even older and slower like 2001.

Also, My Bloody Valentine is also one of my faves, loved it for decades. (And now I wonder if April Fools Day will be on the list.)

Nice work on the list.

• Like 5

I'm loving all the Near Dark love here.  Amazing!  And I definitely agree @Telemachos, the bar scene is one of the greatest scenes perhaps ever.  @kitik, you'right, perhaps it should have been much higher.  

42 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I adore Near Dark. The horror elements, the Western elements, the doomed, moony romance at its heart, and last but not least, the gorgeous Tangerine Dream score.

Tangerine Dream has done some great work....Near Dark might be their best.