Fancyarcher

Fences - December 16th release, goes wide on Christmas

Just now, NCsoft said:

I wonder if this means potentially a lack of faith in the quality of this film...

Pretty sure it's because they know she stands no chance at winning in Lead, where Natalie Portman seems destined to end up steamrolling through the season (her reviews for Jackie are Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine undeniable).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure it's because they know she stands no chance at winning in Lead, where Natalie Portman seems destined to end up steamrolling through the season (her reviews for Jackie are Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine undeniable).

Okay, yeah that makes sense. Potentially winning in supporting is great, but for a role this close to a lead, it's a bit unfortunate I feel, Viola is really someone that I wish could win a best actress some day. This also might take away chances from Naomie Harris potentially getting that award.

That's interesting about Natalie, it feels I've been reading a lot of the same thing (about steamrolling the season), but about Emma stone:lol:

Some early reactions.
Kristopher Tapley ‏@kristapley 22s23 seconds ago
Denzel is winning #3. Go ahead and engrave Viola's, too.
Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE 42s42 seconds ago Los Angeles, CA
Viola Davis is absolutely the frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress for #fences #oscars
Jenelle Riley ‏@jenelleriley 9s9 seconds ago
Wow. Standing O for FENCES *during the credits*!
Anne Thompson ‏@akstanwyck 14s14 seconds ago Los Angeles, CA
Denzel Washington knocks Fences out of the park as director and actor; Viola Davis and Mykelti Williamson will also be Oscar Contenders.
Sasha Stone ‏@AwardsDaily 17s18 seconds ago
Fences blew me away. It's all writing and acting but to watch pros like that with that script. I was bedazzled.
Kristopher Tapley ‏@kristapley 4m4 minutes ago
"Fences" is so good. So, so good.
Glenn Whipp ‏@GlennWhipp 16s17 seconds ago
This audience was really with FENCES. Big roars of approval and applause throughout. Lots of love for Denzel. Even more for Viola Davis.
Sasha Stone ‏@AwardsDaily 49s50 seconds ago
Fences is like watching Mamet or Shakespeare. Don't waste my time with a review if you don't get that it's all about the language.
  • Like 2

Yeah, this is getting really great reactions on twitter.

It seems like the acting is getting a higher level of enthusiasm than the movie itself, though.  There are a lot of calls for Denzell and Davis to win their respective Oscars, but not so much for the film to win best film.  People seem to have really enjoyed it, though.

--

edit: in fact Viola Davis is trending on twitter, just from the screening.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

I have said it since they started shooting in April, and that is this is going to be right there Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and others.  

The focus is on the Oscars this year after the criticism they got last year and in addition to this being very, very good there is a great chance it wins a lot of awards.  

My guess is you have a three way race right now between La La Land, Fences and Moonlight.  

• Like 1

looks like some oscar wins in key categories are assured- namely best actor and best supporting actress, and best adapted screenplay(from a play) unless "silence" is god like

does anyone know what the runtime is?

Edited by Halba