Dementeleus

ANNOUNCEMENT: Thread-Bans are Back

PLEASE READ — NEW THREAD-BAN POLICY

As some of you know, a forum feature we used to have was the thread-ban. Some time ago, the software upgrades took away our ability to do this. But today, based on some excellent suggestions by a few people, we are bringing thread-bans back, in a whole new way.

Here’s how it works:

Thread-bans will not immediately be permanent.

If the staff feel someone’s posting warrants a thread-ban, we will publicly declare that person has been thread-banned from the thread in question. We will also PM that person as well.

From that point in time, if they violate the thread-ban, they’ll receive a one-week suspension from the forums. If they violate it a second time, it’s an automatic two-week suspension. A third violation is a month-long ban.

Here’s an extra caveat. If you’ve received a thread-ban for a particular movie thread: there will be a zero-tolerance policy in the weekend thread when that movie opens. Any misdemeanor will be an automatic weekend suspension. For example, if you received a thread-ban in the ROGUE ONE thread, you would get a weekend suspension if you caused any trouble in the Dec 16-18 Weekend Numbers thread.

The staff has the option to thread-ban someone for varying lengths of time: 24 hours, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, or possible permanent… or any other set period of time, based on their discretion. Staff are required to consult with other staff-members before handing out thread-bans.

If you have any questions, please PM one of the admins.

• Like 37

but what if the thread banned person chose to talk about the movie in other threads (classic convo, clubs, movies from the same franchise, same directors and actors, etc)?

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Shoutout to @MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie for suggesting this idea. We are trusting that users who have been thread banned will have the self control to not post in that thread for the time they have been thread-banned. It is a self-policing mechanism since we don't have the thread-ban option available anymore.

Hey, happy to provide a useful suggestion.

If I might offer another one, you may want to consider creating a subforum dedicated to recording and collecting the posts notifying a poster of their thread ban and/or suspension, how long it is, and what the reason for it is.  

That lets other users have an easy way to know exactly who is banned from what threads and for how long,  and offers a way for people, new users especially, to know the kind of behavior that is considered unacceptable on the forum that can lead to a thread ban or suspension.

6 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Hey, happy to provide a useful suggestion.

If I might offer another one, you may want to consider creating a subforum dedicated to recording and collecting the posts notifying a poster of their thread ban and/or suspension, how long it is, and what the reason for it is.  

That lets other users have an easy way to know exactly who is banned from what threads and for how long,  and offers a way for people, new users especially, to know the kind of behavior that is considered unacceptable on the forum that can lead to a thread ban or suspension.

We'll be doing something along similar lines. We already have a Banned/Suspended thread (in The Real World forum), and we'll be updating the first post there with a list of thread-bans (along with the other bans already listed).  

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Oh great, look what I did. Sorry everyone. 

Me and my out of the box thinking.

Thread-bans were around waaaaay before you, and the staff had been discussing possible ways to implement them for a little while. :lol:  The timing is more coincidental than anything else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Thread-bans were around waaaaay before you, and the staff had been discussing possible ways to implement them for a little while. :lol:  The timing is more coincidental than anything else. 

haha even so I just messaged you because I thought it was appropriate to explain myself and to also apologize.

On 19/07/2016 at 5:55 PM, Telemachos said:

btw, some advice for anyone who gets thread-banned: un-follow the thread so you don't get notifications from it. That way you won't be tempted to read or reply to anyone.  

Mod Telemachos or: How I Learned to Stop Flaming and Love my Ban