lilmac

No time jump between Episode VII and VIII

On 7/27/2016 at 1:39 PM, Amadeus said:

I'm sorry? This just proves how they do not understand Star Wars as film making. They dont understand the pacing, the music, the photo of a Star Wars-movie. 

Just look at how J.J. diminished the ooomph-factor of the laser sword: 

tfa018.png

tfa019.png

tfa042.png

These pictures are the definition of amateurism. In george lucas' films the swords almost always in focus; one could almost always see the whole blade. This fact gave room for creative camera angles. In comparison to the photo in The Force Awakens the photo in Star Wars I-VI is pure da Vinci. 

e4001.png

sws2.png

Just look at Obi Wan's sword is enhancing the lines or how Windu's saber marks the center of the photo and creates focus:

e39999.png

sws99999.png

e5004.png

Or how the final strike is pictured:

Episode I, IV, VI:

add3.png

add6.png

add8.png

Episode VII......... WTF?!

tfa070.png

And J.J. has no sense of how to create room and space: if you could see the sword in one shot, Lucas always made sure it was there in the next shot so that we knew the distance between the actors:

e32.png

e33.png

e6011.png

In The Force Awakens they are just talking heads inside boxes, pictures with no relationship.

tfa032.png

tfa031.png

I agree, Lightsabers were not JJ's strong suit, and I liked the movie. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2016 at 8:51 PM, Thegun said:

Again ESB maybe takes place half a year later.  Han is incredibly nervous with Jaba and needs to get back (I doubt the bounty would be years on him) 

No, there was actually a 3 year time gap in between ANH and ESB. in fact I believe that ESB AND ROTJ had the shortest time gap in the series and it was still 1/1.5 years.

Edited by Kalo

On 2016-07-30 at 8:15 AM, Water Bottle said:

What in god's name are you talking about? Once again, forcing them to have a time break doesn't actually add anything to the story they want to tell OR there would be one.  Having said that considering how many people found Episode 7 to be too close to the OT, I don't think the problem is they didn't understand the pacing, music, or "photo" of a Star Wars movie. But that's not even relevant to this upcoming movie: Abrams isn't even directing Episode 8! He's not writing it!

(And by the way I never had a problem understanding the distance between characters in The Force Awakens. And if you want to argue that the DP is an amateur, you probably don't want to say they don't understand the "photo" of a Star Wars movie. Not that it matters since you selectively ignored any shots that disagreed with your point.)

What's the matter with you? Episode VII is only close to Episode IV storywise. When it comes to film making it's like a cheap russian copy of Star Wars. 
The time between the cuts only lasts for a couple of seconds in The Force Awakens while cuts could last for thrice as long in the old movies.

Look at how the "BIIIIG" end fight between Rey, Kalo, Finn is cut:
Rey's talking (cut!) Kalo talking (cut!) Rey talking (cut!) Finn talking (cut!).
Compare it to the Vader/Luke-fight in Episode V. 
Focus on Luke (Vader Talking -- The Force is with You Young Skywalker) (cut!) Darth Vader in focus (cut!)
If J.J. Fuckbrams had directed it'd rather be:
Luke getting trapped (cut!) Darth Vader talking (cut!) 

It's like it's directed by a retarded child who think one always needs to see who's saying what and who's doing what.

And impatient he is, gosh....

Remember seeing the X-wings flying the sea in the teaser back in 2014?
One could guess it'd be an epic establishing sequenze in the likes of the attack on the first death star. But J.J's in such a rush you barely know the heroes are coming for Solo and Finn's rescue. And what's up with the other big establishing pictures of ships landing on new planets? They too only last for couple of few seconds. J.J.'s only interested in the story and not the environments, the sensations. And the characters are talking as if Redlettermedia written their lines -- no finesse. They are talking like stupid earth people, not like stupid space people. 

And regarding the distance between the actors in the film I meant that J.J. seem to be afraid of having more than one person in the frame at the same time. Compare this and this and this, and you -- if you have a brain -- will see what I mean:

e5009.png

add1.png add2.png

tfa006.png tfa008.png

But yes, there are some nice angles here and there. But they don't come often. 

tfa069.png tfa017.png

And what's wrong with this?:

tfa013.png

A nice picture of two enemies somewhat worthy... But then....

tfa014.png

tfa015.png

the camera goes bananas for no reason
And I can tell you: Lucas would never have chosen this shot to make it to the finished product:

tfa024.png

On 2016-08-02 at 9:38 PM, Water Bottle said:

and terribly off topic.

Off topic or not, it seems that film analysis scares most of you a lot. Starting a conversation about J.J.'s lack of talent brought -- in fact -- this topic much more weight to it.
But if you are scared of analysis, be scared. In a year or two, when older you are, you may understand...

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Off topic or not, it seems that film analysis scares most of you a lot. Starting a conversation about J.J.'s lack of talent brought -- in fact -- this topic much more weight to it.
But if you are scared of analysis, be scared. In a year or two, when older you are, you may understand...

If you really want to discuss film analysis, open up a thread. Don't try to hijack other threads that have nothing to do with it and attempt to claim you are adding any "weight" to it.

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The time gaps don't matter.  They aren't necessities to tell a good Star Wars story.  Just because there isn't a time gap doesn't mean the movie is going to literally open right with Luke and Rey, all it means is the movie won't be more than a day or so after TFA.

They can create a good story with or without time gaps (or a bad one, as the prequels proved).  They have a specific story in mind they are trying to tell, and this isn't because they don't understand Star Wars.  Star Wars is a massive universe for filmmakers to play in, nothing else is really mandatory (although traditions like the opening crawl and the credits rolling to theme should always be apart of it, imo), especially something trivial like if the director wants there to be a gap in time or not.

This is the silliest complaint I've heard all year.

Oh and btw, TFA had the best cinematography and choreography of the series.

• Like 4

@dashrendar44 you are being insufferable. 

Who the fuck gives a shit if this film takes place right after the last scene in EP7? Why do they HAVE TO have a time gap? What kind of logic is that? The PT had huge time gaps but did the films come out well? NOPE.

What matters is the story...not some silly criticism (if you can even call it that) about time gaps.

You're whining and being annoying. Reminds me of when you deserted this forum once it became clear that TFA would overtake Avatar.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Noctis said:

@dashrendar44 you are being insufferable. 

Who the fuck gives a shit if this film takes place right after the last scene in EP7? Why do they HAVE TO have a time gap? What kind of logic is that? The PT had huge time gaps but did the films come out well? NOPE.

What matters is the story...not some silly criticism (if you can even call it that) about time gaps.

You're whining and being annoying. Reminds me of when you deserted this forum once it became clear that TFA would overtake Avatar.

Calm the fuck down. I won't repeat myself but the TV series cliffhanger syndrome is the worst sequel bait to pull on an audience in a movie. It's cheap and lame (like your attempts at sassy jabs).

The SW8 opening crawl is gonna be real funny if they follow your (ridiculous) stance:

"Five seconds have passed since Rey has finally reached for Luke to hand him his lightsaber in an epic staredown. She's still waiting for him to take it and begin their very first conversation...."

So brilliant. Yeah, time gaps and ellipsis have been invented for a reason in movie storytelling.

In my world aka the real world, Avatar hasn't been "overtaken" because USA is not the whole wide world last time I checked, Potter bitch.(If you really deluded into thinking I left momentarily the forums because of that, like I really give a flying fuck about that kind of petty thing like you obviously do, yeah right, you can't be that dumb, can you?)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Calm the fuck down. I won't repeat myself but the TV series cliffhanger syndrome is the worst sequel bait to pull on an audience in a movie. It's cheap and lame (like your attempts at sassy jabs).

The SW8 opening crawl is gonna be real funny if they follow your (ridiculous) stance:

"Five seconds have passed since Rey has finally reached for Luke to hand him his lightsaber in an epic staredown. She's still waiting for him to take it and begin their very first conversation...."

So brilliant. Yeah, time gaps and ellipses have been invented for a reason in movie storytelling.

In my world aka the real world, Avatar hasn't been "overtaken" because USA is not the whole wide world last time I checked, Potter bitch.(If you really deluded into thinking I left momentarily the forums because of that, like I really give a flying fuck about that kind of petty thing like you obviously do, yeah right, you can't be that dumb, can you?)

And you lost. 

3 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

So brilliant. Yeah, time gaps and ellipses have been invented for a reason in movie storytelling.

And why on earth do you think that'd be the opening crawl?  Johnson isn't stupid, there's plenty of information glossed over (as well as time that went by) that can be used to fill the opening crawl.

Also, that's hardly more of a TV Cliffhanger than ESB was.  TFA is a more complete movie by itself than ESB and that doesn't stop ESB from being universally hailed (including by me) as the best of the series.

They set out to make a trilogy with these movies, so of course it ended with loose ends and on a scene that'll leave you wanting to come back for the sequel.  There'd be something wrong if TFA ended and I wasn't wanting to pop in the sequel right after.

I also wouldn't consider the TV comparison as a bad thing, given the best cinema I've watched this year has ironically been a few high quality TV Shows like Stranger Things and Game of Thrones.

4 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

At least 3 of us covered that "problem" in-between your latest posts, so congratulations for not having read anything.

I will repeat the obvious answer: The time between Starkiller Base exploding and Rey meeting Luke is purposefully left ambiguous.

Most likely that we will learn at the beginning of Ep VIII that something did, in fact, happen in-between, and that is what Ep VIII will open into.

The crawl will explain what that is, exactly, and will lead into it. Then, it will cut to Rey and Luke.

39 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

At least 3 of us covered that "problem" in-between your latest posts, so congratulations for not having read anything.

I will repeat the obvious answer: The time between Starkiller Base exploding and Rey meeting Luke is purposefully left ambiguous.

Most likely that we will learn at the beginning of Ep VIII that something did, in fact, happen in-between, and that is what Ep VIII will open into.

You mean that the sequel will filled up what was supposed to happen in the previous movie. You're just worsening it...If that was really important for the story like you all try to argue, it would be in the actual movie where it should matter, not leaving holes for the sequel to fill up. ESB didn't show the immediate aftermath of Yavin's celebration (Nor show how Darth Vader flew back to Empire remains). 

A sequel should propel the story forward, not going back retread past events, explaining every holes the previous one didn't care to explain either by glossing over it. It wasn't "purposefully left ambiguous", it was an ellipsis.

Edited by dashrendar44

43 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

If that was really important for the story like you all try to argue, it would be in the actual movie where it should matter, not leaving holes for the sequel to fill up.

Well, here's the thing, it wasn't important to the story of TFA, but it will probably be important to the story of Ep VIII.

Which is why it's gonna be in Ep VIII. What's so hard to understand in that?

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Also, that's hardly more of a TV Cliffhanger than ESB was.  TFA is a more complete movie by itself than ESB and that doesn't stop ESB from being universally hailed (including by me) as the best of the series.

In defense of Dashy44 this movie was not complete in many senses. Really? What is the plot? What is the movie's main objective? Was there even moral sense in it?

Yes, they found Luke at last before the empire found him. But there wasn't any race, was there? Instead we got a pretty boring plot about a starkiller base instead of a race (which could have been like the chase in Mad Max: Fury Road: Spectacular). 

And regarding the ending: The ending of TFA was just a plot point rather than an ending.

TESB had an proper ending despite all events: "It's been a hard day. But, hey, let's go to bed now, sister."  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

You mean that the sequel will filled up what was supposed to happen in the previous movie. You're just worsening it...If that was really important for the story like you all try to argue, it would be in the actual movie where it should matter, not leaving holes for the sequel to fill up. ESB didn't show the immediate aftermath of Yavin's celebration (Nor show how Darth Vader flew back to Empire remains). 

A sequel should propel the story forward, not going back retread past events, explaining every holes the previous one didn't care to explain either by glossing over it. It wasn't "purposefully left ambiguous", it was an ellipsis.

6 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

So brilliant. Yeah, time gaps and ellipsis have been invented for a reason in movie storytelling.

<3

• Like 1