Ethan Hunt

The Edge of Seventeen | Hailee Steinfeld | Moved to November 18

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I really hope this does well despite the R rating. This decade hasn't had its popular "high school" movie ala Mean Girls, Clueless yet (Easy A came out at the turn of the decade and the Pitch Perfect films were set in college).

I actually quite liked The DUFF, but yeah, it wasn't as big of a hit as it should have been. 

Fast Times at Ridgemont High was solidly R-rated, and The Breakfast Club made over $100 mil adjusted with an R rating

But I don't think either of those are the intended aim for this film. Small distributor and low budget, but if it's good it shouldn't be too difficult to turn a profit

Edited by tribefan695

12 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

This is going to be released in 1,8k theaters this weekend. Seriously, I can't believe that STX is going to ruin what could be Hailee's most important movie. 

They're going the buzz-building route with strong word-of-mouth to give it legs when 1) the R rating locks out much of its teen target audience and 2) it's opening against what is more or less a new Harry Potter movie.

I'm pretty excited to see this myself btw.

• Like 2

I saw an advance screening for this yesterday, and I had a fun time with it. As a comedy, almost all of the jokes land, and as someone with a sardonic and dark sense of humor, Woody Harrelson was the big highlight of the film for me. Every word he spoke left me howling with laughter. But it also works as a solid coming-of-age teen drama. Steinfeld was great and perfectly portrayed so many great emotions, and her conversations with the different characters throughout the movie were smart, well-written, and entertaining. The other actors did their parts well, but Steinfeld and Harrelson really hold the film up. Outside of that, the story's really good, the pacing was pretty smooth, and there are a couple of good emotional moments sprinkled in too. My grading scale puts it at a 3/5, but it could go up to a 3.5/5 after a rewatch, and I'd still definitely recommend it if you're looking for a fun dramedy.

If we're talking box office, from what I could gather, the crowd seemed to have liked it judging by how hard many of the laughs were, and the people walking out and saying to their friends that they liked it shows that it could strike a decent chord with people and lead to some solid WOM. With its projected $10M opening, I can see it getting around $30-40M, which I'm sure STX would be super happy with.

• Like 2

LOL I've said this before but I still don't think it should be rated R. None of the clips I've seen have indicated it should have an R rating. They could have taken out the f bombs and opened up a whole audience. Hailee has a lot of teen fans  and it would have attracted teenagers to see this.