baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

I think the next month will have a 30M+ opener each week:

July 29: Jason Bourne, Bad Moms

August 5: Motherfucking Suicide Squad

August 12: Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party

August 19: War Dogs, potential surprise from Ben-Hur, potentially Kubo if Pete's doesn't slow it down too much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

But the Potter fan base are now adults with responsibilities and maturity, how can they be still fascinated by wizards at their advanced age ?

:thinking:

Does Star Wars ring any bells to you?:P

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

They also lowered the Friday number by 250k. 

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

The Friday number was 22.3M according to Deadline, so more like Paramount overestimated Friday.

While The BFG has bombed in the US, it's a hit in the UK as it beat Star Trek Beyond to the top spot although we don't have the numbers yet as it was handled by eOne in the UK. It's a great result although not surprising as Dahl is more revered in the UK.

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

They also lowered the Friday number by 250k. 

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Calm down, Nancy Kerrigan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

While The BFG has bombed in the US, it's a hit in the UK as it beat Star Trek Beyond to the top spot although we don't have the numbers yet as it was handled by eOne in the UK. It's a great result although not surprising as Dahl is more revered in the UK.

Everyone in the UK was raised on Dahl. I was surprised to hear (quite recently) that its pretty exclusive to the UK.

2 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

200m is a no go this year. 300m or death

Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne and Magnificent Seven could all inch across $200 million DOM.  Suicide Squad could 'only' do $250-280 million DOM (still great for a quirky supervillain tentpole with minimal kid/family appeal). Doctor Strange could do Thor 2 numbers with a $70-75 million OW and decent WOM. Fantastic Beasts will probably end up in the $200-299 million DOM range. Moana could disappoint and 'only' do $200-250 million DOM. Sing and Passengers remind me heavily of Alvin 1/I Am Legend. I could see both of those and Rogue One all doing $200 million+ DOM since all three have broad appeal and target different demos. 

Personally, I see the top 20 looking like:

1. Finding Dory
  2. Rogue One
  3. Captain America - Civil War
  4. Moana
  5. Suicide Squad
  6. Deadpool
  7. The Jungle Book
  8. The Secret Life of Pets
  9. Zootopia
  10. Batman vs. Superman - Dawn of Justice
  11. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  12. Passengers
  13. Sing
  14. Doctor Strange
  15. The Magnificent Seven
  16. Star Trek Beyond
  17. Storks
  18. Jason Bourne 
  19. X-Men: Apocalypse 
  20. Kung Fu Panda 3 

Of those, I think 1-14 will do $200 million+ DOM (even if Passengers, Sing and Doctor Strange only inch across the mark). 

• Like 1

Passengers will be a 300M+ hit.  Mark my words.  Pratt and JLaw are the biggest stars in Hollywood, it has Oscar potential, it has a Christmas release spot, and it's a sci-fi space movie (after Gravity, Interstellar, and The Martian, it's having a great track record).

• Like 3

Just now, grey ghost said:

C'mon, James.

Paranormal sci fi is more plausable than magical people. :depp:

Lol. Be serious. You want an example of the continued, cross-generational popularity of the Potter franchise? Take a look at the weekly Top 3 Children Series on NYT Bestseller list. The series ended 8-9 years ago and it is still there. I don't think it ever dropped actually. Been in that top for almost 400 weeks straight.  

3 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

Passengers will be a 300M+ hit.  Mark my words.  Pratt and JLaw are the biggest stars in Hollywood, it has Oscar potential, it has a Christmas release spot, and it's a sci-fi space movie (after Gravity, Interstellar, and The Martian, it's having a great track record).

lol