baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Eh..........

Not an overseas expert by any means and the # seems pretty rough (made more so by exchange rates I assume) but if I'm looking at this right, would 200 million OS even happen with this? In theory there should be an increase in China, where STID did decently but the drop in the UK will be brutal.  Beyond might not make 20 million in the UK which is half the total of Into Darkness.

Star Trek:Beyond launches to the top spot this weekend. Lights Out shines in debut. While Ice Age:Collison Course completely dies in domestic debut.                                      Overall the top 12 was at $183.3 million this weekend which is up nearly 30 percent from last year! When Ant-Man led the weekend with $24.9 million its second weekend, and Pixels wasn't that far with a weak $24.0 million start.                         Star Trek:Betond leads the weekend with an estimated $59.6 million . That debut is higher than Mission Impossible:Rogue Nation($55.5 million) which came out around the same time last year. But is the lowest grossing debut of the three Star Trek films which Star Trek '09 debuted with $75.2 million back in the beginning of the summer of 2009 and 4 years later Star Trek:Into Darkness debuted with $70.1 million which was slightly lower than the 2009 film.                                     Overall Star Trek:Beyond has better word of mouth than the mixed word of mouth that Into Darkness had, and isn't too bad considering that the first two films were released at the beginning of the summer and not right near the end of the summer. Look for Star Trek:Beyond to end its run around $170 million domestic.                                             Universal/Illumination Entertainment film The Secret Life Of Pets had a decent hold with an estimated $29.3 million this weekend, and should still hold up strong with families. Look for Pets to end its run around $340 million domestic.            It was a photo finish for 3rd and 4th place this weekend. Ghostbusters with an estimated $21.6 million, and an estimated 53% drop which is even worse than Bridesmaids(20%), Spy(46%), The Heat(nearly 37%), Tammy(near 42%) and Identity Thief(31% or 20% if you include the President's Day hold). But was better The Boss's second weekend drop(58%) from earlier this year. If those drops start to happen more after this weekend, look for Ghostbusters to make around $130 million domestic.                                                           While not too far from 3rd place, horror film Lights Out had a solid debut with an estimated $21.6 million which is significantly higher than The Gallows($9.8 million) and Deliver Us From Evil($9.7 million) which both came out in the month of July. Lights Out is also the best original horror debut since The Conjuring back in 2013! With decent word of mouth, and decent counter programming against the bigger films Lights Out should hold alright. Look for Lights Out to end turn off with at least $55-$60 million.                                                                          Things were not so good for Ice Age 5 this weekend as it debuted with an estimated $21.0 million this weekend. That's the lowest grossing debut for the Ice Age franchise, and for Blue Sky. It also opened slightly lower than 2013 animated flop Turbo($21.3 million) and Turbo even had a Wednesday release as well.  Ice Age:Collison Course should melt with north of $50 million domestic.

Edited by Maxmoser3
Grammar error
  • Like 2

Ghostbusters international total is now $36m. After opening to $18.1m last weekend, it's only new markets this weekend were very small ones: Hong Kong, Portugal, Finland, Norway, Israel and Indonesia.

It must have had solid midweek business and holderover numbers.

Weekend thoughts:

Pretty much expected for Star Trek. We'll see how it holds with Jason Bourne and Suicide Squad coming up.

Great start for Lights Out. Horror is kinda on fire this year. Just embarrassing for Ice Age, though.

Acceptable holds for Pets and Ghostbusters. Dory and Tarzan are still hanging in there, too.

Hillary's America...well, at least we know there are $3M+ worth of people who enjoy throwing money in the trash.

Strong debut for Absolutely Fabulous. Café Society is doing great, too.

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wow, Ghostbusters overseas numbers are terrible!

Will this movie even make 100 million overseas? lol

it has some big countries coming up but overseas numbers won't be that great in the end. The movie likely won't break even theatrically

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Rest of SLOP's run:

Jul 22: 29.3M (18M weekdays, 278.7M Total)
Jul 29: 18M (11M weekdays, 307.7M Total)

Aug 5: 8.6M (5M weekdays, 321.3M Total)

Aug 12: 4M (2.2M weekdays, 327.5M Total)

Aug 19: 2.4M (1.2M weekdays, 331.1M Total)

Aug 26: 1.6M (700k weekdays, 333.4M Total)

Sep 2: 1M (700k weekdays, 335.1M Total)

Final Total: 338M (3.23x)

IO should be out of reach, thank god.

It'll pass 340 easily. I think 350 is where it'll end up

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

Passengers will be a 300M+ hit.  Mark my words.  Pratt and JLaw are the biggest stars in Hollywood, it has Oscar potential, it has a Christmas release spot, and it's a sci-fi space movie (after Gravity, Interstellar, and The Martian, it's having a great track record).

Those films did not have to contend with Star Wars. Rogue one will take a lot of the attention away and should make at least 300m. Sing will be the family movie of December , should do at least 150m. Stars aren't the main attraction for films anymore, Sony has to really sell Passengers and they don't have the best marketing team. I think 130m is a safe prediction because the holidays will help it out. If it gets Oscar's attention then I'll up that number. Assassin's Creed will be lucky to make 50m.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

James Wan just looks so tiny between Snyder, Famuyiwa and Affleck  @MrPink

bPTpDQJ.png

I noticed that yesterday. I'm as skinny as Wan, but I wonder how tall he is.

I am 5'9, so I'm actually average height and somewhat taller for an Asian.

7 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Another film with a box office run which was predictable. I doubt Bourne or suicide squad break out either. Probably around 230-250 for JB and 250 for SS. 

$230-250M for Jason Bourne would be a breakout.

• Like 5

Jason Bourne should do north of $50 million next weekend. The target for it is Mission Impossible:Rogue Nation's OW and The Martian's OW as well. Bad Moms amazing levels would be a Trainwreck opening but I'm expecting it to open around the debut of Tammy.

Deadline's article title is the weirdest instance of spin ever

‘Star Trek Beyond’ Launches To $59.6M, Third Best Debut In The Series 

This is right up there with this gem from Allegiant 's OW

It posted the third highest preview number in the series. 

Both these series have 3 movies in them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Baumer said:

It'll pass 340 easily. I think 350 is where it'll end up

We'll see, depends how hard SS and Pete's hit it and how much Kubo double features help it.

15 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Another film with a box office run which was predictable. I doubt Bourne or suicide squad break out either. Probably around 230-250 for JB and 250 for SS. 

Bourne isn't hitting 250M let alone 200M lol

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2