Fullbuster

Mulan | 27th March, 2020 | Live-Action - Disney | Chinese actress Liu Yifei is Mulan

17 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

What the he'll was that. Have a feeling it will flop like Dumbo.

hmm no, it's doing better numbers than Dumbo teaser in all platforms

also this will be a monster in China

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Who is the target audience lmao? Zero appeal to kids, no nostalgia elements. This is being made for nobody.

This will do money in China and nowhere else.

This is the biggest strong female lead bait since WW, every mother will take their daughter to see this.

26 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Anyone knows what the reaction looks like so far in China ?

Trending very well on Weibo, most comments are positive!

But just to be a little careful, we have Liu Yi Fei here, I like her a lot but she is not a very good actress imo (the other Chinese box office people can chime in), and is considered a box office poison by some. She has strong following on social media sites in China, and her millions of fans will really exaggerate and praise her to the skies in all the trailers, but her box office results have been very mediocre/average.  So films she is in has some tendencies to disconnect between social media presence and actual box office performance, so just need to take note of that.

but as I said, teaser is being received very well! other than the tiny caveat above. :)

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Who is the target audience lmao? Zero appeal to kids, no nostalgia elements. This is being made for nobody.

This will do money in China and nowhere else.

I for one am a 'somebody' :P and at least one ticket per release country does count as money outside of China in my POV.

Might be the first Disney live action movie (in the meaning of remakes out of animated material) I watch.... if it is really without singing/dancing to the songs characters. I like a handful of musicals, all have adult focused themes (e.g. Sunset Boulevard), even then I prefer the non-musical version, if existing.

I don't watch Disney's (or others) animated versions neither, but as a mother and aunt I've seen a few then as the driver of some of them, and, like in the case of Mulan too I think, some parts during Disneyland visits in the '2000 or similar reasons = not voluntarily.

= I guess I've seen ~ 10 minutes of the original Mulan = this one looks far more appealing for the moment.

Pre-revolution China was of interest for the then youth in my time (as ancient Egypt and South American native Indian cultures), I guess out of the 'elderlies' some might get curious, but do not expect that part of the potential GA to be in the cinemas during OW.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

This is the biggest strong female lead bait since WW, every mother will take their daughter to see this.

1 Billion is locked. Nostalgia, Fanbase, brand-power, female-friendly, family-friendly and action

Edited by Geo1500
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Trending very well on Weibo, most comments are positive!

But just to be a little careful, we have Liu Yi Fei here, I like her a lot but she is not a very good actress imo (the other Chinese box office people can chime in), and is considered a box office poison by some. She has strong following on social media sites in China, and her millions of fans will really exaggerate and praise her to the skies in all the trailers, but her box office results have been very mediocre.  So films she is in has some tendencies to disconnect between social media presence and actual box office performance, so just need to take note of that.

but as I said, teaser is being received very well! other than the tiny caveat above. :)

Same here. She looks emotionless in the teaser trailer, which worries me a little bit. 

A lot of upcoming female led action/blockbuster-y stuff.   

Maleficent 2

Terminator

Charlie’s Angels

Frozen

TROS

Birds of Prey

Mulan

BW

WW84

Eternals?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alli said:

so no singing? 

Hopefully not. They should do away with the singing on all their remakes. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, it's currently trending at #2 on Weibo.

ZbCftG1.jpg 

Top-voted comments are overwhelmingly positive since people are happy to see Mulan again in a movie like this.

The top-voted negative comments are mostly about Liu Yifei & her lack of acting ability, Others thought this looked visually cheap. Some nitpickers were confused by the production design being "inaccurate" due to Mulan's heritage.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, Gavin Feng said:

I hope Disney will soon announce a extensive reshoot of Mulan after they fire Yifei Liu because they finally realize she really can’t act.

I want to kill the old me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16

9 minutes ago, LeoC said:

Same here. She looks emotionless in the teaser trailer, which worries me a little bit. 

I found her subtle reactions when being told they found her a husband rather good.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Hopefully not. They should do away with the singing on all their remakes. ;)

err that's 80% of the appeal of these old films though. 

I'll make a man out of you and reflection are classics.

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 1

I see them taking the Frozen "serious" approach with the early marketing.

Hopefully both get a lighter marketing push close to the release. 

It looks great, though. 

Internet: Why is everything shot by shot? Disney do something new with live action remakes. Movies earn 700m+

Internet: why is everything so different? Where is Mushu? Why no songs? Rubbish 

18 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

A lot of upcoming female led action/blockbuster-y stuff.   

Maleficent 2

Terminator

Charlie’s Angels

Frozen

TROS

Birds of Prey

Mulan

BW

WW84

Eternals?

The more the merrier, glad at least a couple of those are women of colour. I thinks it’s smart to appeal to girls in genres that are typically deemed for males, means you have a chance to appeal to a wider audience.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I found her subtle reactions when being told they found her a husband rather good.

This! Same. the rest of scenes didn't really give her to emote but opening really made me feel for her. 

Solid. Visually gorgeous. Has a grounded feel that I love. Will do well. 

• Like 1

Didn’t realize this is directed by the director of Whale Rider, which was a great movie. It’s so interesting that a New Zealand director is presumably able to capture Chinese cinematic vibe in this. It reminds me of the Chinese wuxia dramas I’ve been watching lately, without all the numerous heavenly princes and immortal beings. Probably also why it doesn’t look super jarring to me. I’m curious to see how Western audiences respond to it. 

• Like 3