Fullbuster

Mulan | 27th March, 2020 | Live-Action - Disney | Chinese actress Liu Yifei is Mulan

33 minutes ago, Waffles said:

Top 7 trailer launch of all time... huge 

Honestly not surprised. There's been a lot of buzz about it online, mostly positive, despite it not being a musical live-action like people wanted originally. Mulan, as a Disney character, has a great rep and is well-loved. Hoping the movie turns out great or even better than expected. 

P.S. wouldn't be surprised if people even get more hype if/when Jet Li and Donnie Yen gets shown in the full trailer.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sahmeelg said:

Honestly not surprised. There's been a lot of buzz about it online, mostly positive, despite it not being a musical live-action like people wanted originally. Mulan, as a Disney character, has a great rep and is well-loved. Hoping the movie turns out great or even better than expected. 

P.S. wouldn't be surprised if people even get more hype if/when Jet Li and Donnie Yen gets shown in the full trailer.

They are in this? HYPE! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

If numbers are that big wouldn't there be official Disney numbers?

They only report when it's a record. Mulan hasn't broken any record yet. 

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

They are in this? HYPE! 

And Gong Li, who is conseidered by Chinese audience to be one of the best Chinese actress. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

They are in this? HYPE! 

and the fact that they aren't trying to sell this on their names, even in China, shows confidence in the IP and that character herself. 

I knew the teaser was huge but damn, i wasn’t expecting this.

I think we have a contender for the biggest movie of 2020 if everything goes right. Even if you remove China views, still made almost the same as BATB teaser. 

And to think some people say it will be another Dumbo... 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I knew the teaser was huge but damn, i wasn’t expecting this.

I think we have a contender for the biggest movie of 2020 if everything goes right. Even if you remove China views, still made almost the same as BATB teaser. 

And to think some people say it will be another Dumbo... 

Yeah it's not a superhero movie but it wouldn't surprise me if Disney possibly has another BLACK PANTHER on it's hands.

• Astonished 1

9 hours ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

So big question, does Mulan ever cut her hair or is the army just gonna let her fight as a known woman cause I been watching this trailer sitting here confused by that. 

Neither men nor women in ancient China cut their hair (for the reason that to do so was seen as disrespectful towards your family/ancestors). The men in the trailer also have long hair, but it's tied up.

In the original Ballad of Mulan she isn't discovered to be a woman until after the war is over, but while rare it was not unheard of for women to fight in ancient China. There wasn't any outright prohibition against it, contrary to what was suggested in the animated film. So it appears that that the live-action Mulan is correcting that portrayal.

Edited by Jason

Not surprised by the views, the trailer has some serious replay value

It's also fresh and unique in today's blockbuster landscape in that it features an all Asian cast, features Chinese culture, martial arts, etc.

People could be nostalgic for those Jet Li type movies (and he's in this movie!)

I'm so confident about this movie

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Waffles said:

Top 7 trailer launch of all time... huge 

That would only be behind Endgame (#1, #2), IW (#1, #2), TLK (Teaser) and It (Teaser) and 1m above TLK's official trailer.

Pretty impressive, can't put the china views in perspective, but I'd say that are a lot of views probably above all but Endgame in China for Hollywood movies.

On 10/5/2016 at 4:07 PM, ChipMunky said:

Mulan could win the year Worldwide.

:Gaga:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Valonqar said:

and the fact that they aren't trying to sell this on their names, even in China, shows confidence in the IP and that character herself. 

I think Disney wants to give Liu Yifei/Mulan some spotlight, because honestly... getting a peek of one of those megastars (Donnie Yen/Jet Li/Gong Li) in the teaser might make people lose focus on the main character.

but if Disney goes all out and get 3 of them to have promotional tours in various cities in China... this will be huge..

• Like 1

I can't even imagine how huge this will be in China. Certainly a contender to for the 2020 WW crown because of that. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I can't even imagine how huge this will be in China. Certainly a contender to for the 2020 WW crown because of that. 

Too bad Disney will barely see any of the money it makes in China. 

• ...wtf 2

On 7/8/2019 at 1:47 AM, Elessar said:

Screw that. And screw cute critters and songs. You want that? Watch the original.

Give me a serious historical epic and Disney will gain a happy customer in myself.

Then..... why..... call..... it..... a....... remake....... just..... make...... a........ new........ movie.........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, I Am said:

Then..... why..... call..... it..... a....... remake....... just..... make...... a........ new........ movie.........

"Remake" doesn't mean "every scene and character is recreated." A remake can be an adaptation and change and add things. 

Loved the teaser trailer, myself. Big fan of the wuxia vibes. I like the original Mulan just fine, but this looks like something very rarely made nowadays by Hollywood and something I wish other Disney remakes did. If it's as good as the teaser, I'm there opening weekend.

This will be huge with female and Chinese-Americans audiences. 300 DOM. Bet. 

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1