Fullbuster

Mulan | 27th March, 2020 | Live-Action - Disney | Chinese actress Liu Yifei is Mulan

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yifei won't even be doing press in America so they probably won't bother.

This isn't confirmed, right?  But it will be interesting to see the playout. 

I suspect everyone will conveniently forget, as many already have...and push this thing to a billion worldwide, regardless.  Ho-hum. 

It's also disappointing that Gong Li is pigeonholed as "villain" in American movies. 

Plus...she already played this role in Monkey King 2. 😉

#BoycottMulan

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

It is a Chinese movie.

I think he meant that it is more similar to the Chinese 2009 movie more than Disney 1998 movie.   After watching the trailer, I would agree with him.

I won't be too optimistic on "Mulan" US box office potential.    I doubt liberal critics will take easy looks on the film, especially with Liu Yifei as the female lead.

(According to ABC news,   68% of Americans support Hong Kong  protesters)

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/majority-americans-favor-us-support-pro-democracy-protesters/story?id=67142758

"Mulan" will easily gross more than $800 million, in China, though.  So it is safe to say the the film won't be financial disaster.

Edited by John2015

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why not? They used the songs from Lion King and Aladdin. 

No “of course” required. 

But The Lion King and Aladdin had the actual songs in the movies too. Mulan isn't going to have any of the actual songs from the original. Only instrumental versions like the one in the trailer are going to be used as background music. If you didn't know already, Mulan isn't gonna be a musical.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Liked the Feel of this trailer! We Both are grabbed in seeing this film! Action and Fight and story sequences are in the step in the right direction. I think this will be another great Disney live action remake! Please be good! Here's our Reaction and Review to this amazing trailer! Hope ya guys Like it! :) 

• Like 1

Disney is trying to make it be more close to Chinese taste, but they also know there is a baseline. If this become a full Chinese movie, Chinese audience will lose interest because they don't really want to see a Mulan story they already know(a local Mulan movie ten years ago flopped). They want to see a Disney's Mulan movie provided to the whole world. 

• Like 3

Looks solid, I like that they've retained the fantasy element of the original with the witch and the phoenix. 

I'm confused by all the dislikes on the trailer? Is it Anti-China trolls? The first trailer doesn't have this many dislikes and this trailer was better lol....

Edited by ban1o

6 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I'm confused by all the dislikes on the trailer? Is it Anti-China trolls? The first trailer doesn't have this many dislikes and this trailer was better lol....

Looks like a combo of #boycottMulan group and no mushu but there's a shape shifting witch somehow. 

9 minutes ago, ban1o said:

It's because of the Hong Kong protests. They have become even bigger since the first trailer debuted 4 months ago. More people are now aware of all that went down and is going down in Hong Kong. 

Another reason is the comment by Liu Yifei in support of the HK police. Her comments came more than a month after the first trailer dropped. So the first trailer was not affected by her comments, this one is.

• Like 10

Yikes at the dislikes. Two reasons though.

1. The Hong Kong protests.

2. The fact that they said no Mushu, songs, or Shang because they want realism but add a shape shifting witch.

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Yikes at the dislikes. Two reasons though.

1. The Hong Kong protests.

2. The fact that they said no Mushu, songs, or Shang because they want realism but add a shape shifting witch.

the 2nd one was valid for the first trailer as well though. Is this solely because of the Hong Kong protests they are going to dislike a film because it takes place in China? Seems very-trollish and racist. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ban1o said:

the 2nd one was valid for the first trailer as well though. Is this solely because of the Hong Kong protests they are going to dislike a film because it takes place in China? Seems very-trollish and racist. 

It's not cause it takes place in China, it's because the actress playing Mulan is pro police.

the 2nd one was valid for the first trailer as well though. Is this solely because of the Hong Kong protests they are going to dislike a film because it takes place in China? Seems very-trollish and racist

I was the one to defend the lead actress because we don't know her actual circumstances but WHAT THE FUCK?

-

Great trailer. This will explode OS (not only in China)

2 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

I was the one to defend the lead actress because we don't know her actual circumstances but WHAT THE FUCK?

-

Great trailer. This will explode OS (not only in China)

how is it not racist to troll a movie because it takes place in a country that you don't like the government of? 

Just now, ban1o said:

how is it not racist to troll a movie because it takes place in a country that you don't like the government of? 

Do you actually know what racism? 

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Do you actually know what racism? 

prejudice or discrimination based on one's race..... 

• Like 1

prejudice or discrimination based on one's race..... 

Yes, so that doesn't include prejudice based on one's stated political views. The backlash to her comments had nothing to do with her race and everything to do with what she actually said.

• Like 5

Based on the reactions to the new trailer this is not going to do well in the states. They might as well just release it on Disney + in the USA.