Fullbuster

Mulan | 27th March, 2020 | Live-Action - Disney | Chinese actress Liu Yifei is Mulan

i missed, the days, when the things about the movie, were ABOUT THE MOVIE, she can have an opinion, if you disagree thats ok , but why do you bring this shit, on the movie, there is a distictition, , people should learn thats its possible, to judge a person opinion, without trashing his/her work, bc of that opinion, see the movie as it is

ps the fact that people cant do that its ridiculous, and people still believe in boycotts ? you really think that the ga will care, the ga  will do, what you should have done, they will either see a movie or not, thats it, they dont care about actors opinions

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Honestly Let’s hope the Chinese numbers are not manufactured as  the YouTube view count is kinda mediocre it barely trended at #1 (for like a (3-4 hours)and will probably do less than 5M in the first 24h also the like dislike ratio is like 70/30. Nothing alarming of course but considering how well the first trailer did this sharp decline is surprising.

we also have to talk about the elephant in the room And don’t kill me here; Western audience  are not interested in Asian swashbuckling movies which this movie seems to be considering they took away the magical elements from the animated.

53 minutes ago, Manny G said:

Honestly Let’s hope the Chinese numbers are not manufactured as  the YouTube view count is kinda mediocre it barely trended at #1 (for like a (3-4 hours)and will probably do less than 5M in the first 24h also the like dislike ratio is like 70/30. Nothing alarming of course but considering how well the first trailer did this sharp decline is surprising.

we also have to talk about the elephant in the room And don’t kill me here; Western audience  are not interested in Asian swashbuckling movies which this movie seems to be considering they took away the magical elements from the animated.

That's the case for all live action remakes. Lion King trailer 2 only got 9.8 million main channel in the first 24 hours, did 174 million total.

Edit: I looked through YT reuploads and FB/IG/Twitter, you are right. Minus China, it's doing very mediocre. But in China it's doing gangbusters (even if shares are partially manufactured, that view count is pretty big and will only keep going up), so the overall number will be high.

Edited by Menor

Why is this trailer so good?   

"no, i'm blessed with two daughters" got me all emotional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manny G said:

Did you miss the part in the trailer with the shapeshifting hawk? Fine a new angle. 

Since I was the one who brought up the Weibo shares discrepancy I should probably correct it. Seems that much of the issue comes from the fact that shares are cumulative (so shares from lead actress' account, which has a huge amount of followers, were included), while likes and comments are not. So no evidence of manipulation.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

It's a trailer that gets better with repeat viewings. Beautiful. 

Mulan is my favorite Disney animated film.

27 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

The dislikes ratio for this on Youtube is pretty bad..

for stupid reasons, so i wouldnt give attention to it ,like at all

Edited by john2000

I still say that Disney should just put this on Disney+ in the states. It's not going to do anywhere near as good as it could have had it following the animated version that many people love to. While this may do great business in China in the USA it will likely be another Dumbo and Pete's Dragon situation at the boxoffice.

Edited by Curtis1986
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2

Just now, Curtis1986 said:

I still say that Disney should just put this on Disney+ in the states. It's not going to do anywhere near as good as it could have had it fallowed the animated version that many people love to. While this may do great business in China in the USA it will likely be another Dumbo and Pete's Dragon situation.

this is wrong on so so many levels

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

I still say that Disney should just put this on Disney+ in the states. It's not going to do anywhere near as good as it could have had it following the animated version that many people love to. While this may do great business in China in the USA it will likely be another Dumbo and Pete's Dragon situation at the boxoffice.

Lol, I hope to see you around next year.

56 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

What does this even mean though in raw numbers?  It's all too easy to throw hyperbolic adjectives and phrases around.  But concrete numbers tend to be better.

So what number are you talking about here?  200m DOM?  150?  sub-100?

What number would have to be so hideous that it shouldn't get a stateside release?  What number is required for it to actually lose money on a DOM rollout?  What are you actually thinking here?

(if you're talking about the psychological/brand fallout, fine, But Disney still likes money so let's talk about this from exactly that standpoint)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

I don't think it will beat aladdin in the states

The same can be said of every single movie this year that Disney didn’t have a hand in making. If it does 270 DOM and great OS I think they’ll be happy campers

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

The same can be said of every single movie this year that Disney didn’t have a hand in making. If it does 270 DOM and great OS I think they’ll be happy campers

I'd lower that to 250 or even 200m+ depending on just how bonkers it went in China/OS.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curtis1986 said:

Image result for that's funny gif

I mean, I think Curtis is right in the sense that this would do better stateside if it was made more like a typical Disney musical. However, it's not going to do badly here, let alone be Disney+ fodder.

The Chinese don't really appreciate musicals. They prefer their serious action and spectacle and this version seems like it was made specifically to appeal to the folks in China in that way. I'm very curious to see if they'll embrace this, and if they do just how big it can get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

What does this even mean though in raw numbers?  It's all too easy to throw hyperbolic adjectives and phrases around.  But concrete numbers tend to be better.

So what number are you talking about here?  200m DOM?  150?  sub-100?

What number would have to be so hideous that it shouldn't get a stateside release?  What number is required for it to actually lose money on a DOM rollout?  What are you actually thinking here?

(if you're talking about the psychological/brand fallout, fine, But Disney still likes money so let's talk about this from exactly that standpoint)

Sub 100.  I have a feeling this may turn out to be a good product however making this more serious and taking away the music aspect and funny little dragon may make this a very tough sell outside of the Asian markets. So far based on the reactions of the trailer The popularity seems to be more on par with Dumbo and Pete's Dragon and not Aladdin and Lion King or other popular Disney live-action remakes. just seems like this product may do better with streaming services outside of China.  Mulan is a popular movie but what made that movie popular was the songs, characters, Mushu.  now you're taking away all the popular aspects and making it more serious. I just don't see huge numbers turning out for this even with great reviews.  I understand Disney wanting to please China which im sure it will do very well there but I have a feeling the major changes to the movie is going to cost it elsewhere.

Edited by Curtis1986