Fullbuster

Mulan | Live-Action - Disney | August 21, 2020 | Got delayed. Won't be the last

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Yes, so that doesn't include prejudice based on one's stated political views. The backlash to her comments had nothing to do with her race and everything to do with what she actually said.

But backlash is dumb. If she had something pro HK, she would have be skewered in China like Daryl Morey. Its damn if you do and damn if you don't situation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ban1o said:

how is it not racist to troll a movie because it takes place in a country that you don't like the government of? 

Because the government didn't fund the movie. It's not from the Chinese government but from Disney.

I hate the Castro government but I will watch movies set in Cuba. I hate the Russian government but I will watch movies set in Russia. I hate Trump and his government but I still watch movies set in America.

• Like 3

The controversy about the actress and the downvotes on YT will have zero effect on the domestic box office.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, druv10 said:

But backlash is dumb. If she had something pro HK, she would have be skewered in China like Daryl Morey. Its damn if you do and damn if you don't situation.

She could have just not said anything...

Edited by Menor

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

The controversy about the actress and the downvotes on YT will have zero effect on the domestic box office.

I'm not so sure tbh. This is a whole different monster then The Lion King.

This will make so much money in China but IDK about domestically.

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

@Krissykins unless Bond, Eternals or one of the Pixar originals play spoilsports, there is a high probability that the Top 3 WW of next year will all be female led

@Jedi Jat I dont know how well a Mahabharat movie will do outside of India, even if it is directed by Disney. Movies like Aladdin and Mulan are remakes and worldwide audiences are already familiar with them. Same cant be said about this

Eternals also seems female led, with a female director. Though we’ll have to see the exact ensemble balance to confirm that I guess.     

Need to do an animation in 2023 loosely based on Mahabharat before you can do more faithful Live-action at end of 2030s. Then worldwide audiences are familiar ;) 

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

If the CCP was expecting her to show support publically this is one of those “well yes, but actually no” options

• Like 1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the new trailer already has 366k shares on Weibo which would absolutely destroy Endgame's record. Unless it's actually 36.6k and I'm reading it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the new trailer already has 366k shares on Weibo which would absolutely destroy Endgame's record. Unless it's actually 36.6k and I'm reading it wrong.

Lmao, I came to this thread just to post that. Unless I’m also misreading it is more than double endgame’s weibo share record and rising fast despite being China almost 2AM 🤯

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Menor said:

You can click on the number to expand to the ones place. https://m.weibo.cn/status/4446229083405554#repost

6 digits, so it is unmistakably 367k. Should settle at an easy 250%+ of Endgame’s record :mouthdropped:

• Like 2
  • Astonished 5

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Lmao, I came to this thread just to post that. Unless I’m also misreading it is more than double endgame’s weibo share record and rising fast despite being China almost 2AM 🤯

I'm guessing there's some sort of patriotism aspect to it with people showing support for the movie as a proxy for opposition to HK protests? Bc otherwise it makes no sense for it to increase so much from the teaser.

• Like 1

Just now, Menor said:

I'm guessing there's some sort of patriotism aspect to it with people showing support for the movie as a proxy for opposition to HK protests? Bc otherwise it makes no sense for it to increase so much from the teaser.

Agreed. But people will also buy actual tickets as a display of patriotism, so I dunno if we can use that reasoning to discount BO potential 😬

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

You can click on the number to expand to the ones place. https://m.weibo.cn/status/4446229083405554#repost

6 digits, so it is unmistakably 367k. Should settle at an easy 250% of Endgame’s record :mouthdropped:

That's cool, it'll do well in China. Doesn't mean the rest of the world will follow.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

That's cool, it'll do well in China. Doesn't mean the rest of the world will follow.

If it does well enough in China doesn’t really need the rest of the world to follow. 200+400+600 is still huge.

17 minutes ago, Menor said:

A lot of the NBA guys wanted no part of HK like Steve Kerr and he was ridiculed for not saying something. As I said, it's no win situation.

8 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

If it does well enough in China doesn’t really need the rest of the world to follow. 200+400+600 is still huge.

Disney actually needs it to do well domestically to make a profit. They won't make much off of just China.

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Disney actually needs it to do well domestically to make a profit. They won't make much off of just China.

No actually, they don’t.   

200*.55+400*.4+600*.21=396M revenue, equivalent to say 340+450+138.  

China provides less revenue, but it hardly rounds to 0.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

With this, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman and Black Widow, it’s a big year for female lead big budget blockbusters! 

all with female directors as well (+ eternals, which i think has a female lead?) pretty cool.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1