Fullbuster

Mulan | Live-Action - Disney | July 24, 2020 | Mulan will save us all!

Nothing can ever beat Aladdin.

But Mulan here is still the best - and probably the only really good - movie this wretched year. As the Shay's been saying for years.

Might also be the most profitable. For the simple reason there's literally nothing else - not that the GA will suddenly get smarter.

Edited by shayhiri

Nothing can ever beat Aladdin.

But Mulan here is still the best - and probably the only really good - movie this wretched year. As the Shay's been saying for years.

Might also be the most profitable. For the simple reason there's literally nothing else - not that the GA will suddenly get smarter.

Are you for real? Mulan (which no one has seen) is the only “really good movie” being released this year? “There’s literally nothing else” coming out this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Burgess said:

Are you for real? Milan (which morning one has seen) is the only “really good movie” being released this year? “There’s literally nothing else” coming out this year?

Pretty sure Shay's a Disney employee

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, Burgess said:

Are you for real? Mulan (which no one has seen) is the only “really good movie” being released this year? “There’s literally nothing else” coming out this year?

Half of my body lives in the near future.

It's pretty unusual, but can be useful. That's how I knew - a year in advance - what a monstrous hit the Joker was gonna be, and was able to capitalize on its success.

3 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Half of my body lives in the near future.

It's pretty unusual, but can be useful. That's how I knew - a year in advance - what a monstrous hit the Joker was gonna be, and was able to capitalize on its success.

LMAO, wouldn't be surprised if you actually unironically believed this.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1

those trailer views are pretty damn low even for a final trailer

not an exact science, but clearly the hype is not through the roof for this

it seems to me like the stars are starting to align against this movie, the epidemic in China, the boycott... and I already see a lot of complaining online from fans of the original. This and that is missing, no dragon, no songs etc. Is the western audience going to care for a wuxia style epic? has it ever? It doesn't look terrible, but it looks a little too serious and humorless for a big Disney family event. I think it's going to be a Detective Pikachu style performance, massively overpredicted.

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Burgess said:

It's Shay; what do you expect?

16 hours ago, TMP said:

Pretty sure Shay's a Disney employee

Not with the way he hates Pixar......

The narrative shift around this movie has been wild. Couple weeks ago people had this a lock to finish top 3 or even #1 this year

On 2/4/2020 at 9:19 PM, DlAMONDZ said:

The narrative shift around this movie has been wild. Couple weeks ago people had this a lock to finish top 3 or even #1 this year

Not that I ever bought this - even when everyone was saying it indeed - but what exactly is going to dethrone it? The year is barren.

There's nothing here that can unite the people, like - predictably - Joker, Aladdin, Star Wars 9, Frozen 2 - and even that stupid Avengers flick all did.

2019 was the all-time cinematic HIGH - 2020 is the hangover that comes after it. A scrapyard year.

Not that I ever bought this - even when everyone was saying it indeed - but what exactly is going to dethrone it? The year is barren.

There's nothing here that can unite the people, like - predictably - Joker, Aladdin, Star Wars 9, Frozen 2 - and even that stupid Avengers flick all did.

2019 was the all-time cinematic HIGH - 2020 is the hangover that comes after it. A scrapyard year.

The following may be ironic given the site on which I’m posting, but this kind of sentiment is insulting to the craftsmen and artists that made/are making the movies coming out in 2020. Box office is important but 2018 wasn’t 2019, and neither was any other year. Let’s see how 2020 plays out in terms of audience reaction, critical consensus and box office before we push this narrative.

Also, Joker and Aladdin were not predictable hits, and The Rise of Skywalker split the fan base.

4 hours ago, Burgess said:

Also, Joker and Aladdin were not predictable hits

Oh, they were extremely predictable for me - as it turned out. :) But people here tend to not listen.

SW9 is making way north of a billion. That is "uniting the people". No one cares about bitter TLJ trolls.

As for the rest: I'm speaking for myself only. 2019 had literally DOZENS of movies I knew I would adore. 2020 has close to none. 2018 was also terrible. I'm just venting my disappointment.

People here will watch and like anything. I don't even expect anyone to admit that 2019 >>> all other recent years - but hey, it would be nice. Hope BO proves it too.

Edited by shayhiri

I saw a rough cut of this last spring and I really hated it. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Oh, they were extremely predictable for me - as it turned out. But people here tend to not listen.

SW9 is making way north of a billion. That is "uniting the people". No one cares about bitter TLJ trolls.

As for the rest: I'm speaking for myself only. 2019 had literally DOZENS of movies I knew I would adore. 2020 has close to none. 2018 was also terrible. I'm just venting my disappointment.

People here will watch and like anything. I don't even expect anyone to admit that 2019 >>> all other recent years - but hey, it would be nice. Hope BO proves it too.

Fair enough but predictable to you is quite different from the suggestion that those two movies were predictable hits for general audiences. Aladdin was on shaky ground immediately after images of Will Smith’s Genie were released, and not even Warner Brothers wanted Joker made.

1 hour ago, Chaz said:

I saw a rough cut of this last spring and I really hated it. 

Do the trailers have shots not in that cut?

People on my Instagram reposted the Aladdin trailer when it came out in March. The Lion King teaser broke the internet when it came out on thanksgiving. 

With this film, the teaser trailer was the only thing that made buzz, and it wasn’t on the level of the aforementioned movies. I still think it’s gonna make money but not the $400M/$1B type.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:26 AM, JGAR4LIFE said:

People on my Instagram reposted the Aladdin trailer when it came out in March. The Lion King teaser broke the internet when it came out on thanksgiving. 

With this film, the teaser trailer was the only thing that made buzz, and it wasn’t on the level of the aforementioned movies. I still think it’s gonna make money but not the $400M/$1B type.

Mulan's trailer viewers are way more than Aladdin. Its teaser broke the internet while no one cares about Aladdin's teaser (I wouldn't blame people, it was so boring)

• Not Cool 1

On 2/3/2020 at 5:09 AM, Porthos said:

I find the dialogue delivery very bad, just like TLK. Chinese actors speaking English isn't coming off really good hence no emotional connection. Weirdly that didn't felt like a problem in Aladdin.

Anyways, I hope Disney India find some good Hindi actors to do dubbing and dialogue writers to not simply translate.

• Disbelief 1

early tracking is in the 40 to 60 Million OW range.

Not bad, but probably less then Disney was expecting.

It could pick up, but the joker in the deck it he corona virus,which has stired up anti Chinese sentiment in many countries.

https://variety.com/2020/film/features/china-coronavirus-movie-industry-box-office-1203501046/

But one senior U.S. film studio executive, agreeing to speak on the condition of anonymity, tells Variety that studio revenues are the least of China’s problems: “If, God forbid, we’re still talking about this virus by summer and theaters are not operating and the country is in a form of economic paralysis, that impact is way beyond a movie.