MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

8 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Well, I hope so also. I would love to see them both do really well. Denzel is one of the most consistently entertaining actors and I like Pratt as well; BUT we are talking about a Western and a more serious, adult oriented Sci-fi movie. If they're going to go that high box office wise then it'll be because of extremely positive WOM as they both probably won't open that big, especially Passengers. 

I guess we'll have to see how many of the Hunger Games viewers who grew older as the franchise progressed turn up, as well as GA. There's a lot of interest in the trailer on twitter, and has been. https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23passengers trailer&src=typd

In any event, I will be crushed if this doesn't do well, so I might as well expect big things of it!

• Like 1

In general though, it would be nice if the studios (and audiences) could spread out their good adult targeted movies throughout the year.  

They are having a tendency now to shove everything into a 5 week period from mid-September to late October and good movies are going to fail because the market is simply overcrowded.  Sully, Snowden, Bridget Jones' Baby, Deepwater Horizon, The Accountant, Birth of a Nation, The Girl on the Train, Jack Reacher and Inferno all essentially target the same demographic and or age range in one way or another.

Trying to fit 9 of those hopefully quality movies into a 7 week release period means multiple films will fail no matter what, especially when you throw in Magnificent Seven, Blair Witch, Storks, Miss Peregrine's and others is silly.  

It would help if audiences would also support in different times of the year.  Can't blame the studios when something like The Nice Guys gets released in May and fails.  Would be nice if some of these could move to the spring or summer, but right now the financials don't work out.  

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

You guys are going to be very wrong on Magnificent Seven.  It is damn good and a crowd pleaser with the always reliable Denzel and a legit box office star in Pratt.  

Wouldn't call Pratt a legit box office star, and in today's climate, most box office stars don't do much to help the film unless the concept is interesting.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Wouldn't call Pratt a legit box office star, and in today's climate, most box office stars don't do much to help the film unless the concept is interesting.

He is at this point, or the closest thing to it not named Leo.  Magnificent Seven and especially Passengers will be the next test, but he should pass the test on the first with no trouble and then rocket (no pun intended) even higher when Guardians 2 is a smash hit.  

Guardians and Jurassic World aren't nearly the hits they were without him.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Snowden probably isn't going to make much either way. The movie has been delayed repeatedly, Oliver Stone has been largely has been largely irrelevant the last 20 years, and JGL isn't a draw at all.

I want it to do well because of the subject matter, more than anything about the film, to be honest.  It doesn't seem to have a lot of buzz though.

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

After the effective trailer, I'm even more convinced than before Mag7 will be huge. I won't even be surprised if it continues our one megahit per month trend this year and pulls 300. 200+ is happening for it.

Let's not go that far :lol: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Snowden probably isn't going to make much either way. The movie has been delayed repeatedly, Oliver Stone has been largely has been largely irrelevant the last 20 years, and JGL isn't a draw at all.

Agreed.  It will do better, but Snowden in the 2016 version of The Walk.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

There is no evidence to make a case for this. Nobody even knew who he was before Guardians of the Galaxy.

I did!

I never heard of him before Marvel announced him but I knew his work from Parks and Rec a year+ before GOTG, does that count?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

He is at this point, or the closest thing to it not named Leo.  Magnificent Seven and especially Passengers will be the next test, but he should pass the test on the first with no trouble and then rocket (no pun intended) even higher when Guardians 2 is a smash hit.  

Guardians and Jurassic World aren't nearly the hits they were without him.  

There is no evidence to support this. At best Pratt helped bring in maybe 15m for Jurassic World, otherwise the nostalgia and great marketing was the primary reason why that film blew-up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

There is no evidence to make a case for this. Nobody even knew who he was before Guardians of the Galaxy.

I disagree.  He was known and the trailer with him shirtless / workout transformation helped sell the movie.  He also was coming off the Lego Movie being a big hit.  

He absolutely is responsible for a good chunk of the Jurassic World audience.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Let's not go that far :lol: 

Why? September and October are very weak for competition and the film co-stars arguably the two biggest (hell maybe the only two) male draws right now in the industry. The trailer looks extremely appealing to mainstream audiences to me, even if it is a Western. Hell, the Coen bros made a Western that made over 200m adjusted. M7 can definitely hit that mark. Has the most going for it of any Western ever released since the popular Western died out decades ago. 

In other news, Central Intelligence is the highest grossing comedy of the year with over 200m WW. 

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/kevin-hart-dwayne-johnsons-central-intelligence-box-office-1201826614/

Dwayne Johnson is the biggest draw after Leo Dicaprio in  Hollywood right now, yes higher than Chris Pratt.

CHris Pratt is getting his first real test with Mag 7 and Passengers this year.  

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

Just now, babz06 said:

In other news, Central Intelligence is the highest grossing comedy of the year with over 200m WW. 

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/kevin-hart-dwayne-johnsons-central-intelligence-box-office-1201826614/

Dwayne Johnson is the biggest draw after Leo Dicaprio in  Hollywood right now, yes higher than Chris Pratt.

CHris Pratt is getting his first real test with Mag 7 and Passengers this year.  

Will Ferrell, Melissa McCarthy, and Denzel are all bigger draws than The Rock IMO

• Like 1