MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

Leo has never made a shitty/generic film successful like Denzel has done countless times,  so I still don't consider him the level of draw that Denzel is. It's one thing for people to flock to your films when you're in an awards buzzed about film with an awards buzzed about performance or a big budget Nolan or classic literature based flick.  It's quite another when an actor gets entirely generic B movies with poor or mediocre reception near or over the century mark. The closest Leo has ever come to doing what Denzel does is with Shutter Island, and even that was a fairly big budget Scorsese production with decent reception. 

• Like 4

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Leo has never made a shitty/generic film successful like Denzel has done countless times,  so I still don't consider him the level of draw that Denzel is. It's one thing for people to flock to your films when you're in an awards buzzed about film with an awards buzzed about performance or a big budget Nolan or classic literature based flick.  It's quite another when an actor gets entirely generic B movies with poor or mediocre reception near or over the century mark. The closest Leo has ever come to doing what Denzel does is with Shutter Island, and even that was a fairly big budget Scorsese production with decent reception. 

I think Leo just has that allure that he's developed over the years that makes him a draw in any role. Women want him, men want to be him, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trifle said:

In the original script he had the most time, but JL gets top billing and it is clear from casting calls that there have been significant changes to the script.  Still, they poll that sort of stuff, so deadline may have some numbers on draw after it opens.  Mag7 too, for that matter.  And I agree, Mag7 looks more like an event film of the like of True Grit than like an often disposable genre western.

In the case of Passengers, they're probably going alphabetical, so him having second billing likely doesn't mean much.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

It's not the 90s anymore, you can't stick a big name into absolutely anything and have a hit. Well, other than Leo. It's more star+concept nowadays. Not that that wasn't important back in the big star-power days, it's just necessary now.

Nobody is saying that, but it isn't something where it can only be one way or the other.  There is middle ground and you are foolish if you don't think that actors and their relative star power matter.  

Denzel is the perfect example.  You put anyone else in most of his movies and they are lucky to do half of the box office.  He doesn't draw $300m, but if you want a solid $75m - $130m domestic hit, you put him in your movie.  

Magnificent Seven is likely going to likely be his highest domestic grossing movie.  

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

In the case of Passengers, they're probably going alphabetical, so him having second billing probably doesn't mean much.

I'm not trying to diss Pratt.  They were attached before JW came out.  But she is making $20 mill plus some back end and he is making $12M so at the time they signed on I think she got top billing because she was considered a bigger star.  I think she is still considered more of a PROVEN bigger star, but I'll bet a lot of people are going to be looking at Pratt in Mag 7 and Passengers and by the end of the run of those films, his perceived status may have changed.  Having said that, I wouldn't be as excited about this movie if Bradley Cooper were in it with her instead of Pratt.  I want to see them together.

For one thing, other than Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth, Pratt is probably about 10 years closer to her in age than others she had starred with.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

I think Leo just has that allure that he's developed over the years that makes him a draw in any role. Women want him, men want to be him, etc.

And yet whenever he does a film that doesn't fit into the categories I mentioned (awards buzz, big budget) they bomb. See J Edgar, Revolutionary Road, Body of Lies. He has been incredibly smart with his career choices on the whole. Unlike Denzel, who basically just seems to take any generic low key project he wants and turns it into a hit. Now that he's in something that actually has a lot of appeal and a big push for the first time since probably American Gangster, it will do big numbers like that film did. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

And yet whenever he does a film that doesn't fit into the categories I mentioned (awards buzz, big budget) they bomb. See J Edgar, Revolutionary Road, Body of Lies. He has been incredibly smart with his career choices on the whole. Unlike Denzel, who basically just seems to take any generic low key project he wants and turns it into a hit. Now that he's in something that actually has a lot of appeal and a big push for the first time since probably American Gangster, it will do big numbers like that film did. 

Revolutionary Road was a really depressing movie in which he and his Titanic co-star tore each other apart emotionally for two hours (had they reunited in something more sweeping and romantic, the grosses would've been significantly higher), and Body of Lies had mediocre reviews , a vague marketing campaign, and was a war-on-terror-based movie back when those things were considered box office poison. J. Edgar probably did better than it would've with anyone else in it though (without him, it likely wouldn't even have made $10M in total given that is was both a critical and awards flop).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm not trying to diss Pratt.  They were attached before JW came out.  But she is making $20 mill plus some back end and he is making $12M so at the time they signed on I think she got top billing because she was considered a bigger star.  I think she is still considered more of a PROVEN bigger star, but I'll bet a lot of people are going to be looking at Pratt in Mag 7 and Passengers and by the end of the run of those films, his perceived status may have changed.  Having said that, I wouldn't be as excited about this movie if Bradley Cooper were in it with her instead of Pratt.  I want to see them together.

For one thing, other than Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth, Pratt is probably about 10 years closer to her in age than others she had starred with.

Well I don't see Passngers making 200m, but otherwise I mostly agree.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Revolutionary Road was a really depressing movie in which he and his Titanic co-star tore each other apart emotionally for two hours (had they reunited in something more sweeping and romantic, the grosses would've been significantly higher), and Body of Lies had mediocre reviews , a vague marketing campaign, and was a war-on-terror-based movie back when those things were considered box office poison. J. Edgar probably did better than it would've with anyone else in it though (without him, it likely wouldn't even have made $10M in total given that is was both a critical and awards flop).

So you're proving my point basically. It's not so much that Leo is this major draw on his own, it's that he takes the right kinds of roles 90% of the time. Again, Denzel makes B movies into 100m successes. When will Leo? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VinceMichaudC said:

No one mentioned The Cruise Missile? He's a draw. 

Aside from the Mission: Impossibles, his movies this decade either haven't been profitable or barely were. Obviously he's a long ways removed from his heyday.

• Like 2