MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

Leo is a bigger star than Denzel. Denzel is a bigger draw. Again, draw power does not equal making the right film choices that will be successful regardless. Draw power is how much did your presence help a film that may have otherwise made way less?  People can't seem to understand that there's a difference between having a filmography stacked with blockbusters and having one stacked with filler that an actor turned into hits. That is why we can't declare Pratt a draw yet. We don't know how he'll do in a more unappealing looking film. We do know that Leo tends to tank said films though. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4

Just now, Spaghetti said:

Pratt wasn't a draw to GOTG simply because of how new he was, but I refuse to believe Jurassic World made it to $650m without his help.

Guardians of the Galaxy afterglow. He was the breakout star of that movie.

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the last Hunger Games underperformed. She was totally a non factor in X men and Joy was a financial flop (it had a 60m budget) 

The last Hunger Games book was the least popular with a real 'downer' ending that isn't for everyone, and certainly not for many 11-17 year old girls (a big chunk of the following), I disagree about X Men, and she opened Joy despite it's reviews.  I agree with another poster that it is how they benefit more poorly acclaimed films that really shows star power.  Joy will make money with its after market, imho, on the strength of her performance, for which she won an academy award nomination.  Not sure how you can blame its not making more money on her.

• Like 1

Denzel would never be in a movie as acclaimed and award buzzed about as Blood Diamond for example, and still have it flop. Leo is not the draw people think he is. He is a very smart business man and knows the right kinds of roles to take and people to work with. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Pratt wasn't a draw to GOTG simply because of how new he was, but I refuse to believe Jurassic World made it to $650m without his help.

It made money for the same reason SW7 made money. You could say he helped te overall quality of the movie though by giving a good , charismatic performance 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Joy would've struggled to do as well with any other actress. The movie was a tough sell from the beginning (something that became apparent from the marketing which did it everything it could to hide the premise).

Not to.mention the lack of strong reviews

• Like 2

All that said about Leo, I do agree that he has finally become a legit draw with his past three films in particular. Yes, he did add something to the gross of Gatsby and TWOWS that other actors wouldn't have and most notably to The Revenant. So maybe now he can turn garbage into gold like Denzel too? It remains to be proven, all I know is he definitely couldn't do it in the past. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm not trying to diss Pratt.  They were attached before JW came out.  But she is making $20 mill plus some back end and he is making $12M so at the time they signed on I think she got top billing because she was considered a bigger star.  I think she is still considered more of a PROVEN bigger star, but I'll bet a lot of people are going to be looking at Pratt in Mag 7 and Passengers and by the end of the run of those films, his perceived status may have changed.  Having said that, I wouldn't be as excited about this movie if Bradley Cooper were in it with her instead of Pratt.  I want to see them together.

You mean "reunited" after Silver Lining Playbook?

• Like 1

JLaw was definitely a draw up through Joy. It was a horrid, unappealing mess of a film that maybe would have done about 25 with someone else. After that, MJ, and Apocalypse under-performances though, I do think her draw power might be gone. She could earn it back again, but don't expect her to be a draw again until she does. 

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

People are saying Pratt is a draw because of Guardians and JW? Lolz

No, people are saying he is a draw because he is a draw.  He helped those movies reach the levels they did.  

Just now, nilephelan said:

No, people are saying he is a draw because he is a draw.  He helped those movies reach the levels they did.  

no proof he did.  Put another charismatic actor in the role and they would have still made money

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Just now, nilephelan said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but we have no way to prove that given the kinds of films they were. So his draw power is still up in the air. Hell, even M7 being the huge hit I think it will still won't prove much for arguing the case of his draw power unfortunately, given the film has way more going for it than just his presence. 

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Joy would've struggled to do as well with any other actress. The movie was a tough sell from the beginning (something that became apparent from the marketing which did it everything it could to hide the premise).

sure, but I guess also JLaw also adds more to the budget since she commands a bigger paycheck. 60 million is pretty high for a movie like that. 

• Like 1

Pinning Apocalypse doing comparatively soft numbers on JLaw's perceived diminishing appeal is beyond wrong. X-Men was a long-established movie franchise even before she joined it in 2011, and the newer movie did slightly more than that movie did (without the hook of the older cast, Days of Future Past likely would've done similar numbers too). Besides, Hugh Jackman is the closest the franchise has to a "face" anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

no proof he did.  Put another charismatic actor in the role and they would have still made money

Of course they would have made money, but my contention is not nearly what they did without him.  

• Like 1