zerbs

Stranger Things (Netflix)

Just finished. What an awesome season. Better than season 2 for me but just below season 1. 

I think it was the funniest of the seasons too. That radio duet had me in stitches. But man! so many damn feels, especially the last episode. Had me in tears by the end. 

Loved the new additions to the show, especially Robin and Erica. Steve also keeps getting better and better as time goes by. The rest of the cast is great as always. 

The next season is years away but I can’t freaking wait. Gonna go back and watch the whole series back to back after I have finished clearing my backlog. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed it more than Season 2 but it's definitely lost what was special with Season 1 at this point. Season 1 felt grounded and way more character moments and action moments were few in between. 

Season 3 needed a lot more suspension of disbelief. The jokes were funny at times, but there's a bit too much humor. It's like they took what fans liked from characters being paired up and dialed it up to 11. 

Yeah, like the Soviets somehow snuck hundreds of uniformed workers and soldiers and built a massive secret base under Hawkins in a year. lmao. In the same town as the big National Lab. US Intelligence must have been beyond shit. 

Hopper was a dick for most of the season and it annoyed me a bit. 

They spent episodes building up the monster only for it to literally stand around and throw a few tentacles and go back and forth between locations. There's even a scene where they set up couches and shelves to block doorways against a monster that's bigger than the house. Hilariously plot armor. The VFX on it was incredible though.

I really liked the new additions to the cast like Robin.

Dacre Montgomery who played Billy gave an absolutely fantastic performance. 

I wish they’d figure out a way to move the story forward without always falling back on “bigger, scarier, funnier, more adrenaline, more VFX.” 

And the product placement was terribly distracting. There's even a scene where they discuss New Coke while a character is lying there hurt and it should have been cut out completely. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ

Guess I'll keep this in spoilers too.  Just something I noticed after the season was done.

Spoiler

Anyone notice the "pattern" of main to semi-main people that have names that start with B getting killed off?  Barbara, Bob and now Billy.  Wonder if it's intentional 😛

Edited by 75Live

• Community Manager

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Enjoyed it more than Season 2 but it's definitely lost what was special with Season 1 at this point. Season 1 felt grounded and way more character moments and action moments were few in between. 

Season One was special because it was the first, I believe, in television to be a series taking a group of children and put them on a serious adventure with danger and aimed at adults/teenagers. Season 2 and 3 were good follow-ups but they lose that magic because they are...follow-ups. No longer something fresh and unexpected. Plus the middle-school kids are now teenagers which means they are less innocent and thus some of the charm is lost.

I do wish they had done more with the Invasion of the Body Snatchers idea rather than just have a big monster for them to fight.

• Like 4

I was surprised at how straight up horror some of this season was, lol.

Better than S2, but S1 is still far ahead. 

The 2 new characters Robin and especially Erica were no bueno though, don't care.

Edited by Ozymandias

• Community Manager
4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I was surprised at how straight up horror some of this season was, lol.

Better than S2, but S1 is still far ahead. 

The 2 new characters Robin and especially Erica were no bueno though, don't care.

What? Robin was fantastic! Erica's not a new character (she was in season 2) but I loved her brutal honesty! I disagree with you!

• Like 4

Wasn't feeling it. The show can't decide if it wants to be ironically hokey or genuinely scary and doesn't really pull off either. The plotting's gone downhill - they've given up on attempting episode structure and the credits pretty much roll random without even much of a cliffhanger. I know most people binge it but I think operating under that basic discipline would have made the writing better, instead of making it feel like a long rambling movie. I'll give it bonus points for Cary Elwes though - great 80s casting.

Have the Duffer Brother said how many seasons they want from this? Because it's basically the same formula over and over again now and the supernatural element is a total MacGuffin.

Edited by Hatebox

Loved it. Best episodes were 3 to 6 when they narrated the story from 5 different perspective and kept it tight. Plot was over the top and some of the characters(especially Hopper) were annoying. But at least the kids evolved. It sets up Season 4 and I wonder if that would have kids traveling beyond hawkins?

They could potentially continue this storyline beyond S4 but would need new location and characters or create a spin off?

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Loved it. Best episodes were 3 to 6 when they narrated the story from 5 different perspective and kept it tight. Plot was over the top and some of the characters(especially Hopper) were annoying. But at least the kids evolved. It sets up Season 4 and I wonder if that would have kids traveling beyond hawkins?

They could potentially continue this storyline beyond S4 but would need new location and characters or create a spin off?

They set up some stuff with new characters in episode 7 last season but got huge backlash because it felt out of place and didn't go anywhere. They didn't address it this season so I guess they'll bring that stuff back in season 4.

3 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

They set up some stuff with new characters in episode 7 last season but got huge backlash because it felt out of place and didn't go anywhere. They didn't address it this season so I guess they'll bring that stuff back in season 4.

But they were not kids. It has to be another set of kids. May be set it up in early 90's and get few minor characters from S1-4 in them. its possible. I am sure Netflix will try to keep it going. They dont have too many shows that are this popular.

I was so impressed with season 3. It really felt like it established its own identity as a season, and grew with the now older kids. It weaved in anti-Russian hysteria, which was a staple of American cinema during the Cold War, and a changing economy and culture around malls, in ways that felt appropriate and timely for the show. The more humorous or exaggerated tone of this season felt totally appropriate to me given the anti-Russian narrative of the season, as exaggerated comedy/drama was characteristic of the Cold War films of the 80s. And the characters of the show continue to go on interesting journeys.

And that bathroom scene - so, so good. Looking forward to season 4. 

Peace,

Mike